JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Love my Marlin 1894c in .357 magnum, and so do all my friends. Got mine new in Portland some time ago and haven't seen another since.

We're all looking (I am too for a spare), but gougers at the gunshows with obscenely overpriced used ones are all we're finding.

The obvious appealing factors are superb accuracy, high capacity, excellent rate of fire in the right hands, cheap ammo in all kinds of .38, .38+P and .357, and the ability to keep loading between shots without pulling a magazine. There's also that ultra cool lever gun vibe that's fun all day (if you keep your trigger finger out of the way when you get cranking).

Haven't seen a new Marlin in Portland for 2-3 years. Any other decent brands I should look for? Sources? Thanks in advance.

PS, I'm always open to slick mods and upgrades. Wouldn't mind smoothing out some of those sharp edges inside and out.

Y'all better head on out to Marlinowners.com. Rabid fanatics there. The old Marlin New Haven plant shut down a couple months ago. Your lever .357 is now worth its weight in gold. Chances are, production will begin again at a new location, but the New Haven guns will always be the Real McCoy.

As a gun collector of serious nature, I've only recently got into the Marlin venture. Much to be learned, and the best is that there was never a Marlin made that was junk. They kept their head above water when the other firms drowned.

My .357 '94 is becoming a favorite for just plain fun shooting, and I want a deer with it so bad I can taste it.

Other offerings for a lever .357 include Rossi. Check them out. Basically a copy of a Winchester '92. EMF did a group of these copies as well, and they are offering a closeout deal now. You can get a stainless '92 copy for a little over $400. emf-company .com

You can't touch a decent Marlin .357 for $400 anymore.

My Winchester Trapper in .357 MAY be my favorite rifle. Insanely accurate and fun to shoot. I had to do a fair amount of tuning and polishing on the innards to get it to feed and cycle properly and I removed an odd little stamped, spring steel part (do not ask me what the name of it is) that seemed to keep tension on the cartridge ramp but after a few years of grief I discovered all it did was to slightly cause the ramp to move up and down during cycling and would cause jamming. Regardless it is now as smooth as silk. It actually cycles .38 length rounds a little better than the .357 but that is due to the design of the action.

Henry makes a nice one.
Yes they do - I am currently 'on the fence' on a nice, used one in .44 mag at a local pawn shop. It's the first one I have had the opportunity to look at close up and hold. Pretty heavy for a lever gun - probably about 8 lbs but recoil is probably not too bad. Nice fit, finish and smooth action. The only issue I have is with the brass receiver. It is going to require frequent polishing.

One more for Rossi. I really like mine, never had a problem with it, smooth action and a great shooter. It may not be as well built as Marlin or Winchester or even Henry but you cannot go wrong with a quality lever gun for less than $400 that shoots inexpensive pistol rounds like .38 special.

DSCI0408-1.jpg

My Rossi is one of my favorite rifles. You find them variously now under Rossi-Legacy-Puma-EMf labels. Add a tang or receiver sight and you'll never miss a scope at pistol cartridge ranges.

gary

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads