JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Something I was wondering....

Please correct any of this....it is my understanding...

OSP takes your information and registers the gun in your name when you purchase and background check. Those records are supposedly kept for 5 years and then they are destroyed.

So....I'm assuming that the OSP backs up their gun database....Anyone know if they actually destroy the archives after 5 years? Do they only backup the records that are less than 5 years old? Do they actually purge the database?

Has anyone tried to pull up records from after 5 years?

Just curious....since places like Iron Mountain seem to do a good job of keeping archives intact.

believe it or not , my ffl imformed me,that the records in the state of oregon are only held for 90 days ,the 5 yr deal is boguss,and help me if i'm wrong,i can take it,lol !!,steven

So what is the retention of records for FFL and retailers on gun sales records or transfers?

Record keeping

FFL holders are required to keep a registry of firearms sales in an ATF-approved Bound Book, or a computerized equivalent using ATF-approved software. They must also maintain file copies of Form 4473 or eForm 4473 "Firearms Transaction Record" documents, for a period of not less than 20 years after the date of sale or disposition. When retiring or otherwise relinquishing a license, these records are sent to the BATFE's Out-of-Business Records Center. The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation. In addition, the sale of two or more handguns to a person in a five business day period must be reported to ATF on Form 3310.4.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top