JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an original (OG) Saiga, made in Russia, from when they were first getting imported, around 1999 if I recall correctly. It's chambered in 7.62x39 and has not been converted or modified in any way. It's been a rugged and reliable gun but time to move on. I'd say it's in 90% overall cosmetically and far better internally as it's not a high round count gun. I can post pics when I get back from the coast. I'm just looking for a ballpark guesstimate as I'm raising money for my brother who is going through a rough patch. I've seen them as high as over $2k and far lower. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have an original (OG) Saiga, made in Russia, from when they were first getting imported, around 1999 if I recall correctly. It's chambered in 7.62x39 and has not been converted or modified in any way. It's been a rugged and reliable gun but time to move on. I'd say it's in 90% overall cosmetically and far better internally as it's not a high round count gun. I can post pics when I get back from the coast. I'm just looking for a ballpark guesstimate as I'm raising money for my brother who is going through a rough patch. I've seen them as high as over $2k and far lower. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I mean realistically it's nowhere near the ballpark of a 2000 dollar gun but panic buying first timers will pay very near that on gunbroker so I would say list it and wait for the magic to happen. I'm pretty sure the 7.62 ones are starting to come down in value as good imports continue to trickle into the country and the prestige of having a Russian made rifle declines, whatever you do decide to sell it for, do it quick.

I mean realistically it's nowhere near the ballpark of a 2000 dollar gun but panic buying first timers will pay very near that on gunbroker so I would say list it and wait for the magic to happen. I'm pretty sure the 7.62 ones are starting to come down in value as good imports continue to trickle into the country and the prestige of having a Russian made rifle declines, whatever you do decide to sell it for, do it quick.
I'm thinking of putting it up on Wednesday when I get back. There's just not much out there to go on for a starting price. Thank you.

I thinking around $200 bucks. But as a token of my generosity, I'd be willing to go $225. You know.....cuz I'm so generous.... :rolleyes:
Really tans my hide that there was a time where prices were kind of in the neighborhood of your joke offer and that I missed it because I was busy being 11 years old

2k is rich even in these times for an unconverted one. Your in the $1200-$1400 range imo on a well bid GunBroker auction.

Really tans my hide that there was a time where prices were kind of in the neighborhood of your joke offer and that I missed it because I was busy being 11 years old
Long gone now but purchased 3 for 1k many years ago. Wish I still had one.:s0010:

I hear you guys. I recently picked up a Chinese knockoff (JTS M12 AK) and it was dang near a $500 dollar bill. My neighbor has the SAIGA and the quality difference is pretty substantial.

I hate to say it but when we first got these we ordered 15 of them so we'd get the quantity discount down to $185 each, lol. Those were the times. If I'd only kept all ten that I got back then.

Could someone explain to the uneducated (me), what exactly does the conversion entail?

I worked with a fellow whom had purchased a bunch of Saigas like the OP and sold a few off to friends, but I was unsure about the whole "unconverted " issue and passed on the offer.

Kicking myself now cause he was asking $300.

Unconverted means it still sports an actual rifle stock, no pistol grip etc. kinda looks like a pistol cartridge carbine but takes AK type mags.

I bought a 7.62x39 , 410, 12ga, 20ga all for $200 ea new in boxes in 2000 or so. The 7.62 I just changed a standard AK mag a lil and walla got around their feeding change up for the ban.

Last Edited:
Could someone explain to the uneducated (me), what exactly does the conversion entail?

I worked with a fellow whom had purchased a bunch of Saigas like the OP and sold a few off to friends, but I was unsure about the whole "unconverted " issue and passed on the offer.

They are imported in "Sporter" configuration due to federal law. A regular stock, no pistol grip, looks like a hunting rifle. To put a pistol grip on it, you have to move the fire control group forward. Also you'll want to be sure that you comply with section 9.22r which requires that you replace at least 10 regulated parts with U.S. made parts. It's really silly. Look up "Saiga conversion" and you'll find lots of how-to articles including compliance information. It's a pain but you end up with a much more ergonomic rifle. Or you can pay a company like Tromix to do the conversion for you.

Trigger group moved forward to accomodate a pistol grip and feed/mag area changed up to actually accept and use an AK mag. If you look at an unconverted the trigger is back away from the mag release a little.

unconverted

1615258381325.png

converted

1615258447697.png

The thing to remember is that if you replace any regulated parts you have to replace at least 10 regulated parts with US made parts. The magazines have regulated parts in them, so don't stick a US made magazine in an unconverted gun or you are technically in violation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top