JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for ideas of what you all have used in your letter's to the Sheriff compelling him/her to grant the CHL. My appt. in Columbia County is in Sept so just getting my chit in one sock (so to speak) ahead of time. Wondering if any of you have been rejected because your letter wasn't compelling enough and what may have been said that shouldn't have?

Thanks ahead of time

Never heard of anyone getting rejected.

Work, friends, family, and shopping.

ETA I went through Multnomah County

Last Edited:
The Grant Co. sheriff only required 'self-defense' (2A, my right, etc. also accepted) on a single line-item vs. a form letter for us out-of-staters when I got mine last year.

"Letter"? Don't remember having to do a letter.

Application reason was "travel, camping, sight seeing, family visits".

"For all lawful purposes"
That's what's written on my Form 1 reasons for ownership.

I get my non-resident CHL through Grant County. Sheriff Palmer is defacto shall issue. I just plan a (two or three) day trip out there and either fly into Boise or drive up from Vegas, crash in Battle Mountain or Winnemucca then go up to Canyon City the next morning then return the same way I came.

Here's a exert from my original application in 2014, hope it helps. And yes, I received an OR CHL.

I regularly travel throughout Oregon for both business and recreational purposes. My wife and I will be retiring to the home we own in Vancouver, WA in the very near future. At least every other week we travel there and spend time in the surrounding Oregon counties of Columbia, Washington, Multnomah, Clackamas and others.

Please consider granting me an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for personal defense.

I get my non-resident CHL through Grant County. Sheriff Palmer is defacto shall issue. I just plan a (two or three) day trip out there and either fly into Boise or drive up from Vegas, crash in Battle Mountain or Winnemucca then go up to Canyon City the next morning then return the same way I came.

A couple of years ago I went to Sheriff Palmer to renew my non resident and was told that he's not doing that anymore, has this now changed?

A couple of years ago I went to Sheriff Palmer to renew my non resident and was told that he's not doing that anymore, has this now changed?
My last renewal was June 2018, over two years ago. According to the Grant Co OR Sheriff's website, they are issuing non-resident CHLs. There was a period of time they stopped processing non-resident CHLs. It was some political issue. Sheriff Palmer has been known to buck the establishment in Salem OR. He's not popular with the OR legislature or Governor. My next renewal is due summer 2022. Hopefully we'll be over COVID-19 by then. The deputy on duty issued my renewal on the spot.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews