JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's disappointing. My rep specifically said that they were familiar with the C&R FFL and the senator introducing the bill was familiar with the C&R and still no language about the C&R. clear evidence of purposefully ignoring the collectors.

If you dig into the "assisted outpatient treatment" laws it includes being diagnosed with depression.
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/426.005

leads to
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/426.495

"Diagnosed by a psychiatrist, a licensed clinical psychologist or a nonmedical examiner certified by the Oregon Health Authority or the Department of Human Services as having chronic schizophrenia, a chronic major affective disorder, a chronic paranoid disorder or another chronic psychotic mental disorder other than those caused by substance abuse."

"chronic major affective disorder" = depression or anxiety.

It does however say the judge has to make the determination that you are a threat to yourself or others. I know it sucks that it's an arbitrary ruling that is apt to be abused, but abusing it can have blowback on the judge. I just shot an email off to bought and paid for Chuck Riley that I'd like to talk to him about the issues with the bill. We'll see.

there is a reasonable likelihood the person would constitute a danger to self or others or to the community at large as a result of the person's mental or psychological state, as demonstrated by past behavior or participation in incidents involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence, or by reason of a single incident of extreme, violent, unlawful conduct
It CAN and probably WILL be abused on occasion, but it's not nearly as broad as California or New York.

At least they made provisions for "buy-backs" and lending at a range. Unfortunately, the "buy-back" provision doesn't cover them, as the police are not the ones making the transfer.

At least they made provisions for "buy-backs" and lending at a range. Unfortunately, the "buy-back" provision doesn't cover them, as the police are not the ones making the transfer.
I believe that falls under police in the process of their duties. If they are assigned to the gun buyback and they are taking possession they can claim it's within their duties and, lets be honest, a judge will go with that.

I believe that falls under police in the process of their duties. If they are assigned to the gun buyback and they are taking possession they can claim it's within their duties and, lets be honest, a judge will go with that.
It's unfortunate, but those "buy-backs" constituted a gun show, and required background checks. Too bad a prosecutor wouldn't prosecute them.

It does however say the judge has to make the determination that you are a threat to yourself or others. I know it sucks that it's an arbitrary ruling that is apt to be abused, but abusing it can have blowback on the judge. I just shot an email off to bought and paid for Chuck Riley that I'd like to talk to him about the issues with the bill. We'll see.

It CAN and probably WILL be abused on occasion, but it's not nearly as broad as California or New York.

Yeah, I saw it open to abuse and it gives to much power to the person making the diagnoses. I see wrong psychiatric diagnoses all the time and Im not even a psychiatrist.

already sent an email to my rep saying I will be supporting her opponent in the next election based on their purposefully ignoring the C&R holders. that was my litmus test. If they were familiar with the C&R and they still did not include the language. That means they werent ignorant, but being punitive.

Y'all better wake up. As Washington goes, so goes Oregon. I recommend joining Oregon Firearms Federation *today*, as they are doing more in this state than anyone to defend all the gun rights you value. On their web page today you can find out how to fight this bill instead of talking about it. If this bill passes without a honest knock down fight we are well on the way to gun registration and seizure. If anyone here has been following what's been happening in the different counties you will see this bill for what it is: a desperate measure by our government to render us defenseless.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/gun-owner-registration-bill-introduced

Y'all better wake up. As Washington goes, so goes Oregon. I recommend joining Oregon Firearms Federation *today*, as they are doing more in this state than anyone to defend all the gun rights you value. On their web page today you can find out how to fight this bill instead of talking about it. If this bill passes without a honest knock down fight we are well on the way to gun registration and seizure. If anyone here has been following what's been happening in the different counties you will see this bill for what it is: a desperate measure by our government to render us defenseless.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/gun-owner-registration-bill-introduced
I like OFF and I'm a member, but I honestly don't see what complete opposition is going to accomplish in this case. We don't have the votes to block the bill. I guess maybe there is some shaky votes in the house, but I honestly don't see this not passing. We need to be trying to get provisions in the bill to either 1) Abolish FICS or 2) mandatory record purge everyday like NICS does currently. FICS by law can keep their records for up to 5 years. That's registration IMO.

Just another end-around registry scheme that will allow the feds access to a searchable database that they are not allowed to implement or maintain under the 1986 FOPA.

These people are among the most despicable, lying-azz "American leaders" ever elected in my time.

Oh, those cuties over at Moms Demand Action are so quaint. Bless their hearts... :rolleyes:

They want so badly to just do SOMETHING to make a difference. They still have not answered the key question here:

How are you going to prevent the unlawful procurement of a firearm by a bad guy simply by either (a) knowing it's geographic location on the planet and who it belongs to or (b) knowing the number engraved on the side?

Just because DMV knows my driver license number doesn't prevent me from driving drunk. Even if that license number is suspended because I drove drunk, it won't prevent me from getting a car. Cars can be driven whether or not that license is with me, not with me, suspended, revoked or I never had one. They can be stolen, borrowed or purchased.

The only person laws like this inconvenience are the exact people it will affect most. If you are a criminal, why buy a gun when you can steal one? If you are person who has decided to commit mass murder at a school or a mall with a gun, is failing a background check going to be the thing that stops you?

Silly Girls. Let the grownups handle the big problems. :cool:

Just to make sure of this, Veterans that have been diagnosed with PTSD will be rejected also. Happened to my brother and a good friend. Will OFF be presenting the facts regarding the October '14 results of all the BGC's and the bottom line of actions taken? I have some other approaches I would like to present when it comes up for a hearing. My state rep doesn't think there are enough votes to pass this but you never know what sort of end runs the politicos will make.

The bill states that criminal history check is destroyed after 5 years. But nothing about the record for the check/record on the firearm make/model/serial/caliber. I think that is a worthy point to raise. What happens to those records? And why is it tied to the "yes/no" check on if someone is able to possess a firearm?

My state rep doesn't think there are enough votes to pass this but you never know what sort of end runs the politicos will make.

The house and senate are controlled by the democrats, I would bet my left nut that this passes. That doesn't mean don't contact your rep, I've already contacted both of mine via email and phone.

Just the beginning - it's going to be a long and bitter 2 years before we can change the balance of power and reverse these outrages. Remember our enemies and make sure they pay come election day. In the mean time, fight them tooth and nail. Write your representatives, even the ones we know are against us and let them know your outrage at their betrayal of your Constitutional rights.

Just the beginning - it's going to be a long and bitter 2 years before we can change the balance of power and reverse these outrages. Remember our enemies and make sure they pay come election day. In the mean time, fight them tooth and nail. Write your representatives, even the ones we know are against us and let them know your outrage at their betrayal of your Constitutional rights.
If this passes I would wager it never gets repealed so long as the rank & file democrats & republicans hold a majority. The only reason they don't outright ban firearms for pleads like us is the votes & potential uprising. Both sides collude to pass as many bills that they can get away with that enrich them & their paymasters & take liberty from us. So long as most voters are distracted by bread & circuses they'd pass whatever they thought they could get away with.

I contacted every senator & rep, as should everyone. This is epecially what all the rural voters & anyone outside the metro areas should be doing, contact legislators from Portland, Salem & Eugene areas as those are where the push is coming from & will have the most effect.

UBC bill filed in Oregon, editorial says it won't work

Oregon State Sen. Floyd Prozanski yesterday introduced Senate Bill 941, the long-anticipated "universal background check" measure that has more chance of passing in the Beaver State this year, despite the fact that at least one newspaper has editorialized that it won't accomplish much.

<broken link removed>

"The fight's commenced. Get to fighting or get away!" — Wyatt Earp to Ike Clanton, Oct. 26, 1881

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top