JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This could be a very serious event and foreshadow what is to come. There are a lot of democrate counties in rural areas--and I am hoping this legislation will meet a serious challenge there. Oregon's brain trust at work! Maybe wishful thinking. But the great citizens were snowed by the most recent governor and they could be snowed again by these legislators.

Used the OFF emailer first thing, then spent a good portion of the afternoon writing letters of support to the 12 remaining Republicans, and Betsy that shot down Flyod and Ginnys BS last year.

A number of Dems that I thought might be open to independent thought received informative emails, I'm not holding out much hope on that front unfortunately.

The ringleaders were reminded that they are up for reelection... Floyd, I'm looking at you Floyd.:mad:

Received the same letter from Senator Whitsett.

Here is what I received from Rep Doherty:

John,

Thank you for contacting Rep. Doherty about background checks. SB 941 has just been introduced today in the Oregon Senate and will need to go through a series of hearings and be voted on in the Senate before coming over to the House. Hearing from constituents gives Rep. Doherty a better understanding of the opinion of her community.

I will give the information you provided to the Representative.

Sincerely,

Shane O'Brien

Legislative Assistant

Representative Margaret Doherty

House District 35 (Tigard, SW Portland)

(503) 986-1435

[email protected]

I sent the auto mailer to all Senators and Representatives and only received responses from those two.

Knock, knock, knock, anybody home? Hello ... I know you're in there.. somebody answer!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jeff Kruse would never vote for this.
Absolutely. But their tactic, I believe, is a valid one. Write and call each member of the committee as well as the chamber leaders to give them your views. There are those honorable people, like Senators Kruse and Thatcher that are going to stick with honest views. There are also the bat crap crazy anti-gun people like Prozanski and Burdick that will drink hemlock before admitting that there are actually responsible gun owners out there. Write and call, not only the committee members and chamber leaders, but everyone else as well. Encourage those that are sticking with us and keep chipping away at the democratic party moderates. Our only hope of getting any lessening of these egregious bills is to find some dems who aren't 100% believers. And know that there are more bills in the pipeline that will be detailing how you will be arrested for not locking up your guns, not reporting theft of your guns, or not allowing unannounced home inspections. Fighting this crap costs you absolutely nothing.

Here is the OFF alert, go to there site and send the letter to ALL senators and Representative's.

1.jpg

Oregon's Only No Compromise Gun Rights Organization

The long promised gun owner registration bill has been introduced. SB 941 requires police background checks on private transfers of firearms. Now the failed background check system you are subject to at gun stores will be required when you give a gun to your best friend.

The bill has a long list of co-sponsors including Val Hoyle who at one time seemed to be rational on this issue.

We have been reliably informed that this bill is going to be fast tracked through the Senate. Please, right now, contact your representatives and express your outrage at this new and dangerous assault on your privacy and liberty.

The current background check system is a joke. Most people who are denied are denied with no justification and the very few people who are actually "prohibited persons" are virtually never arrested. So what is the purpose of this bill? The purpose is simply to harass legitimate gun owners and expand the universe of registered guns and gun owners.

You can send a message to the entire legislature here.

You can find your own legislators here. You will want to contact the people under the tabs "Senate" and "House."

We are in a race now folks. Please act now.

Not a member of OFF? Think you should be? Learn more here.

I emailed Chuck Riley about talking about the bill and my ideas for a compromise. I have yet to hear back. I'll try calling tomorrow. If I don't hear from him then I'll call Prozanski and ask him why his Senators ignore their constituents. Might add in that if I was from California and a billionaire donor he might answer my calls, but I'm just a peasant who lives in his district...

I still think OFF is going about this the wrong way. Trying to tell the masses that background checks don't work is never going to get any support. They believe background checks work and sometimes they do in fact work. It DOES put a burden on legal gun owners, but the VAST majority of people we need to sway are people who don't see a background check as a burden. We need to find ways to mitigate this bill not just try to stonewall.

I emailed Chuck Riley about talking about the bill and my ideas for a compromise. I have yet to hear back. I'll try calling tomorrow.
Your in luck! Sen riley is having public coffee this weekend. They can ignore your emails and calls. But cannot ignore you in person :)

there are other legislatours as well. I'm sure this is only a partial list, so be sure to check your own as well

http://www.oregonallianceforgunsafety.org/calendar

The bill states that criminal history check is destroyed after 5 years. But nothing about the record for the check/record on the firearm make/model/serial/caliber. I think that is a worthy point to raise. What happens to those records? And why is it tied to the "yes/no" check on if someone is able to possess a firearm?

They'll stay in the system, even if hidden on some hard drives in a storage room forever. Waiting for the time that they are needed. Just like the current system through the OSP for checks. You trust them to delete anything? Besides emails anyway.

You can call and e-mail all the liberals you want but it won't change the way they think. We just need to voice our opinions and contact the 2nd supporters.

If nothing else we need to let them know we aren't just going to roll over and take it. If we do that it will only make them want to press for even worse legislation like registration, licensing, etc. Ream them a new one, then make sure you follow up come election season to expose them and provide $upport to their challengers. Stay mad and get even.

This is the list of Senators I received from Senator Doug Whitsett's Chief of Staff;

Senators Beyer, Hass, Roblan, Riley and Devlin.

He is suggesting that we focus our efforts here, that these Senators would be at least willing to listen to what we have to say. This isn't a lost cause, a shift in as few as 2 votes could have the potential to block this.

My name is EDISON BULB and I am not in favor of expanding background checks in Oregon. There is something extremely hypocritical about Michael Bloomberg spending $50 million on Everytown for Gun Safety to influence local elections, and yet Bloomberg employs armed body guards even when he vacations in Bermuda where firearms are completely outlawed for the common citizen (1). Bloomberg's stance on firearms is: "Safety for me, but not for thee".

Universal Background Checks will not prevent violent criminals from obtaining firearms. Universal Background Checks would not have prevented Jacob Tyler Roberts from shooting up Clackamas Town Center or Adam Lanza from shooting up Sandy Hook Elementary. Criminals do not follow the posted "Firearms Prohibited" signs outside of private businesses or schools. Criminals will not conduct a background check amongst themselves as would be required by SB 941. Criminals will do what they've always done since the beginning of time: break the law!

These Universal Background checks are simply about registration of private civilian firearms. Registration leads to confiscation. There were over 1,000 firearms confiscated after Hurricane Katrina, and none of those firearms were not part of any criminal investigation (2).

The fact of the matter is firearm violence in this country has been going down quite a bit over the years (3). I agree that it is still too high. But creating more laws that will do nothing to prevent gun violence is not the answer. Most gun violence is related to gangs (do you imagine a "Blood" or "Crip" performing a Background Check for another gangbanger buddy of his?). Why is there not a bigger effort to stop gangs, educate our youth about gangs, and provide opportunities for disenfranchised youth? Maybe because those are the hard to employ solutions.

Let's talk about the good things about firearms. They're used by millions of law abiding people for target shooting, hunters (providing millions of dollars in state revenue), and people wanting to protect themselves and their families. Like any tool, it is not the tool, it is the user.

Please vote NO on Universal Background Checks, lead ammunition ban, and high-capacity magazine bans. These things will just affect law abiding citizens such as myself. Criminals will continue to do what they've always done. It is time to focus on real solutions to gun violence, namely gangs and mental health, and doing a better job of enforcing the firearm laws that we already have.

Sincerely,

EDISON BULB
1111 Somewhere
Portland, Oregon
(xxx-xxx-xxxx)

Sources

(1)

NYC's Michael Bloomberg accused of 'hypocrisy' for arming security detail in gun-free Bermuda

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/26/nycs-michael-bloomberg-accused-hypocrisy-arming-se/

(2)

NRA to settle suit over Katrina gun seizures
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-10-08-nra-katrina_N.htm

NRA Lawsuit: New Orleans Gun Owners' Rights Violated During Katrina Firearm Seizures

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/1...wners-rights-violated-during-katrina-firearm/

(3)

Study: Gun homicides, violence down sharply in past 20 years
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide/

Gun crime has plunged, but Americans think it's up, says study
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/07/nation/la-na-nn-gun-crimes-pew-report-20130507

I still think OFF is going about this the wrong way. Trying to tell the masses that background checks don't work is never going to get any support. They believe background checks work and sometimes they do in fact work. It DOES put a burden on legal gun owners, but the VAST majority of people we need to sway are people who don't see a background check as a burden. We need to find ways to mitigate this bill not just try to stonewall.

Respectfully I disagree, Background Checks work about as well as TSA does at preventing airplanes from falling out of the sky, yet everyday we are being groped and scanned.

The numbers from OSP show that of 331 denials, only 40 of those were justifiable. Those 40 lead to a total of 4 arrests and no successful prosecutions for firearm based crimes.
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/background-checks-failure-state-police

Universal Background Checks cannot in fact function without Universal Gun Registration, there is no way to prove you are the legal owner of a firearm without a searchable database of serial numbers and owners. A system the United States Congress felt was too dangerous for the BATF and prohibited them from creating and maintaining such a database with the 1986 FOPA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

Don't give up, it's an uphill fight but it's not hopeless. Send emails if you can, make phone calls and urge the firearm owners you know to do the same.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top