JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BTW, Pg. 17's "... (c) Is a resident of the county;..." would make it impossible for a non-resident of OR to get licensed for concealed carry in OR. https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB941/Introduced
(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or
(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;

(b) Is at least 21 years of age;
(c) Is a resident of the county;
(d) Has no outstanding warrants for arrest;
(e) Is not free on any form of pretrial release;
(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

Incorrect sir, subsection (c) only applies to section (B), which only applies if you aren't covered under section (A), a citizen of the US.

***EDIT***
Actually, (A) and (B) are subsections of (1)(a), not the other way around. That said, the wording does not change from the original law. Non-resident applicant's are allowed under section (8).

166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license; application; fees; liability. (1) The sheriff of a county, upon a person's application for an Oregon concealed handgun license, upon receipt of the appropriate fees and after compliance with the procedures set out in this section, shall issue the person a concealed handgun license if the person:

(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or

(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;

(b) Is at least 21 years of age;

(c) Is a resident of the county;

(d) Has no outstanding warrants for arrest;

(e) Is not free on any form of pretrial release;

(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(g) Has never been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a felony;

(h) Has not been convicted of a misdemeanor or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a misdemeanor within the four years prior to the application;

(i) Has not been committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130;

(j) Has not been found to be a person with mental illness and is not subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;

(k) Has been discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for more than four years if, while a minor, the person was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act that, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470;

(L) Has not been convicted of an offense involving controlled substances or participated in a court-supervised drug diversion program, except this disability does not operate to exclude a person if:

(A) The person has been convicted only once of violating ORS 475.864 (3)(c) and has not completed a court-supervised drug diversion program under ORS 135.907; or

(B) The person has completed a court-supervised drug diversion program under ORS 135.907 and has not been convicted of violating ORS 475.864 (3)(c);

(m) Is not subject to a citation issued under ORS 163.735 or an order issued under ORS 30.866, 107.700 to 107.735 or 163.738;

(n) Has not received a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States; and

(o) Is not required to register as a sex offender in any state.

(2) A person who has been granted relief under ORS 166.274 or 166.293 or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, or 18 U.S.C. 925(c) or has had the person's record expunged under the laws of this state or equivalent laws of other jurisdictions is not subject to the disabilities in subsection (1)(g) to (L) of this section.

(3) Before the sheriff may issue a license:

(a) The application must state the applicant's legal name, current address and telephone number, date and place of birth, hair and eye color and height and weight. The application must also list the applicant's residence address or addresses for the previous three years. The application must contain a statement by the applicant that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection (1) of this section. The application may include the Social Security number of the applicant if the applicant voluntarily provides this number. The application must be signed by the applicant.

(b) The applicant must submit to fingerprinting and photographing by the sheriff. The sheriff shall fingerprint and photograph the applicant and shall conduct any investigation necessary to corroborate the requirements listed under subsection (1) of this section. If a nationwide criminal records check is necessary, the sheriff shall request the Department of State Police to conduct the check, including fingerprint identification, through the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Federal Bureau of Investigation shall return the fingerprint cards used to conduct the criminal records check and may not keep any record of the fingerprints. The Department of State Police shall report the results of the fingerprint-based criminal records check to the sheriff. The Department of State Police shall also furnish the sheriff with any information about the applicant that the Department of State Police may have in its possession including, but not limited to, manual or computerized criminal offender information.

(4) Application forms for concealed handgun licenses shall be supplied by the sheriff upon request. The forms shall be uniform throughout this state in substantially the following form:
(5)(a) Fees for concealed handgun licenses are:

(A) $15 to the Department of State Police for conducting the fingerprint check of the applicant.

(B) $50 to the sheriff for the issuance or renewal of a concealed handgun license.

(C) $15 to the sheriff for the duplication of a license because of loss or change of address.

(b) The sheriff may enter into an agreement with the Department of Transportation to produce the concealed handgun license.

(6) No civil or criminal liability shall attach to the sheriff or any authorized representative engaged in the receipt and review of, or an investigation connected with, any application for, or in the issuance, denial or revocation of, any license under ORS 166.291 to 166.295 as a result of the lawful performance of duties under those sections.

(7) Immediately upon acceptance of an application for a concealed handgun license, the sheriff shall enter the applicant's name into the Law Enforcement Data System indicating that the person is an applicant for a concealed handgun license or is a license holder.

(8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
An idea for competing with the anti's AstroTurf lobbying efforts:

Create a group to counter their efforts. Comprising mainly of stay at home moms from the Willamette Valley area so they're within quick commute distance to Salem (as well as other relevent areas around the state for city & county meetings) & that can arrange baby sitting or coordinate for events around when kids are in school.

Between the women on the forum & wives of members there has to be enough to create a lobbying group for our interests. I'm sure there are members who would help out with things like transportation, baby sitting, donations/fund raisers, media exposure (development of website, social media page, flyers, etc.). It would be great if there was someone with with public speaking or debate experience & knowledge of law & relevant issues to be the front woman. Even better if she was a survivor of an attack or had lost a family member. I know that last part may sound callous, but we've got to use their tricks, like "waving the bloody shirt", against them to have any hope of repelling these repeated attemts of encroaching legislation.

I'm not married or a woman & I'm not financially sound, so I can't help in those aspects, but I could help manage a website & social media pages. Anyone else think this is a viable plan or want to help. Any ideas for a name/acronym?

Oregon is rapidly flushing our Liberty down the toilet. If you're reading this and are not a member of both the NRA and OFF, sign up for a membership AND donate a little extra -- today!

The OFF automailer is the bare minimum of what you should do today. It will generate the same message as the person before and after you. Followup either with a personal e-mail, snail letter, and a phone call!

FWIW, below is the Ceasefire announcement and phone list. I called every one of them and was surprised that some actually answered the phone. Be sure to thank Kim Thatcher and Jeff Kruse. The senators and their staff appreciate the encouragement.

SB 941 Expanded Background Checks Bill Introduced into Oregon Legislature

Ceasefire Oregon is very excited to share great news this morning. Senator Floyd Prozanski introduced bill SB 941 which will require a private sellers to complete a background check on firearm sales or transfers. Exceptions are included for family members, law enforcement, inherited firearms and certain temporary transfers.

The bill also requires the Oregon State Police to notify local law enforcement agency when, during criminal background check performed prior to transfer of firearm, the background check determines that the recipient is prohibited from possessing firearm.

The bill also authorizes a court to prohibit a person who has been ordered to participate in assisted outpatient treatment from purchasing or possessing firearm during period of treatment if certain criteria are met.

Ceasefire Oregon will send out more information about this bill. You can read the bill here.

In the meantime, please call these legislators and ask them to vote YES on SB 941, Expanded Background Checks for Gun Sales.

Senator Floyd Prozanski, 503-986-1704

[email protected]

Senator Ginny Burdick, 503-986-1718

[email protected]

Senator Sara Gelser, 503-986-1708

[email protected]

Senator Jeff Kruse, 503-986-1701

[email protected]

Senator Kim Thatcher, 503-986-1713

[email protected]

Senate President Peter Courtney, 503-986-1600

[email protected]

House Majority Leader Val Hoyle, 503-986-1414

[email protected]

House Speaker Tina Kotek, 503-986-1200

[email protected]

It's more about showing support. We need to keep hammering the legislators and letting them know what we think.

my reps made it clear. They knew specifically about the C&R license and specifically did not include an exception for it. That tells me they are familiar with what a collector is and know that there is no other reason to not allow an exception other than to punish them. I dont really even care about the C&R personally. I have collected about everything I want to collect. But it clearly tells me their underlying intention

They are not going to listen to anything I say. They are no longer representing anything other than their personal beliefs.

Just E-mailed my Reps again, Lee Beyer will as usual not reply I'm sure.

That's the most annoying part of it to me. The tyrannical arrogance some of them have of not feeling a need to reply to the voters who disagree with them because as a Democrat Politician in the Eugene/Springfield area they know the voters that disagree will always be a minority.

Notice I said disagreeing VOTERS were always a minority. If more of the disagreeing side would get off their duffs and E-mail or better yet send in a ballot I think the numbers are there to make Beyer take notice and at least answer back!:mad:

I'm being blunt on this one with legislators who are likely to vote yes - I'm letting them know I'm keeping track of their votes and will support their challengers in the next election with both dollars and time. They won't read any of the letters, anyway - they usually go to staffers who do data entry that generates form responses based on the topics you wrote about.

I like OFF and I'm a member, but I honestly don't see what complete opposition is going to accomplish in this case. We don't have the votes to block the bill. I guess maybe there is some shaky votes in the house, but I honestly don't see this not passing. We need to be trying to get provisions in the bill to either 1) Abolish FICS or 2) mandatory record purge everyday like NICS does currently. FICS by law can keep their records for up to 5 years. That's registration IMO.
I fully agree.
It doesn't matter what OFF or the Republicans do.... Dems have a super majority. It's over except for the wet ink signing it into law.

1.jpg
Oregon's Only No Compromise Gun Rights Organization
03.26.15Just in time for April Fools Day, SB 941 , the gun owner registration bill, is scheduled for a hearing on April 1 at 8AM in Hearing Room 50 before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

We told you they were going to race this through and they sure are.

The bill is scheduled to be voted on in that committee the following day.
This bill is far worse then we expected. You will NOT be allowed to transfer a firearm by simply calling the State Police (which often ends in a false denial anyway.) Under this bill you will be required to run the transaction through a dealer. The potential complications of this are too many to list. Most dealers will want nothing to do with this, the cost will be high and that is only if you happen to be in a place where there is a dealer available!

We MUST turn up the heat to defeat this dreadful Bloomberg funded bill! If you can be at this hearing, please come. But if not, please be sure to contact the legislature and express your outrage at this attack on your rights. We have very little time.

Emailed them all using the OFF automailer. Got a reply from Sen Doug Whitsett, Klamath Falls.
Interesting read. Here is what he has to say:

"The Second Amendment is the lynchpin of our United States Constitution. I have strongly opposed any infringement on that unalienable right, including any expansion of the mandatory state background check system. I will not change that firm stance.

For the past four years, fourteen Senate Republicans and Senator Betsy Johnson (D) have maintained a 15 vote coalition that has prevented any anti-gun bills from moving through the state Senate. I was instrumental in establishing that coalition.

Two of the fourteen Senate Republicans were defeated in the November 4th election. Although I will continue to strenuously oppose anti-gun laws, our coalition no longer has the votes in the Senate to stop or in any way alter their passage.

May I suggest that you and fellow passionate defenders of the Second Amendment focus your attention on developing two more strong no votes from among the Senate Democrat Caucus?

Best regards,

Doug"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top