JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So we build and install more renewables which cost the state or monopoly more up front but eventually less, and then close to nothing to maintain. At the same time are energy bill goes up every year.

Yep. Sounds about right.

Nothing new here, I believe the coined term is "progress".

Yea, and in all this time, BPA still has a surplus of power that gets sold out of state instead of used in state or better yet, held back for times when the "reserve" might be needed! Dumb Azz's
They over built capacity into all the major dams when built ( or rebuilt in the case of Grand Coolee) and have enough "reserve" to power fully half the country if used correctly, but no, they cant do that now can they? :mad:

Nice shots of the Boardman coal plant there.

So this is a slightly misleading report, the Boardman plant has been (as mentioned in the report) slated to close or convert to bio fuel by 2020 for many years now. All they're adding here, is saying that the power the State will be allowed to buy, can't come from coal production.

I think the 2040 renewable only goal might be off the top to not include hydro..... why?

Most of the Gorge's turbines belong to the Spanish company, Iberdrola, and Vestas.

BPA does not have the Portland Metro area as a service territory generally, Other than some of downtown Portland, it's PGE that services the area.

Buying power from other states can sometimes be cheaper, it's all market driven, both in and out of the state.

Anyone interested in the machinations energy companies use to manipulate the prices of power should check out the documentary "the smartest guys in the room". It's about Enron (I believe it's steaming on Netflix). I found the segment on the California energy crisis, and how it was directly manipulated by them, to be really interesting.

While I agree that this is shortbus-worthy thinking on the part of the state. Until the finger-waggers change their mind, this kind of stupid is bound to continue to happen. Really the best thing we can all do is roll with the punches.

Depending on where you are, you might want to consider solar. My parents put a large system on their house (granted its in CA) 3 years ago, it was somewhat expensive, but they needed the roof done anyways, so it roughly doubled the cost of the roof. They put in roughly double their peak demand (the power company doesn't really want you doing this, but they did it anyways). Since I've been down here taking care of my dad, the AC has barely been set above 70, and it's still dumping about 1.5kW back to the grid.

As battery technology gets better, if you have a sufficiently large solar system (usually 4x the solar generation capacity of what you use daily) and battery system. If enough of "us" built systems like this, when peak demand comes around and the state doesn't add generating capacity because they're expecting you and I to take care of their green energy. We could easily all agree to cut off the grid and brown out the state.

It's going to look like this:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top