JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A buddy of mine is looking for a semi auto pistol that is either 'truly' ambidextrous or fully lefty.....any of you southpaws out there have any suggestions?

He looked at the Baretta PX4, but it's not a true ambidextrous setup because of the slide release Position.

Intention is for use in home defense, so either compact or full size would be acceptable.

The ones I would suggest would be HK p2000, P2000sk or the HK p30. I like mine. And these are the only ones I can think of that have a right side slide release. By the way I have a p30 and if I would have found that first, I may only have 1 full size 9mm... yes it is that good.

I'm what I consider to be "terminally" left handed. Not ambi in the slightest like most lefties I know.

That being said, the only "lefty" thing I like on my handguns is an ambi safety on my Kimber. I think it's an advantage to be able to use the slide & mag release with my index finger. That's why I avoid Sigs (besides not liking da/sa triggers), that slide release is truly designed for a right hand thumb.

Just my :s0159:

The ones I would suggest would be HK p2000, P2000sk or the HK p30. I like mine. And these are the only ones I can think of that have a right side slide release. By the way I have a p30 and if I would have found that first, I may only have 1 full size 9mm... yes it is that good.

Looks like a nice pistol....I've forwarded on the recommendations.

I shoot left hand S&W M&P is a good choice, FNH FNP is also but you have to switch the mag release, The Ruger P series is the best afordable that offers ambi control. Most good manufactures are going to ambi control if for nothing more so the right hand shooters can function weak hand if needed.

I'll pass on the additional responses...we took a look at the M&P's today over at Wholesale Sports.....very nice looking gear for sure.....probably hit the pdx gun show this weekend to see if any of the other options are there to look at and fondle!

Thanks to everyone...

I'm a lefty too, However, I shoot pistol right handed and rifle left handed.

But a friend of mine has a HK USP .40 it came in right only and he bought a left safety and is quite happy with it.

Yes, it's true. You can switch a USP to be a left-handed variant. I also had S&W M&P and I actually bought it just because it is an ambi slide release.

Anyone got any thoughts on the M&P's by Smith and Wesson. Looks like they have the potential for dual control!

I carry the compact M&P 40. I really like it. Easy to operate. I haven't even changed over the mag release because it's easy enough to manipulate with the middle finger of my left hand. The interchangeable grips are a nice option. Gun Tests magazine rated the full size 9mm M&P a best buy this year if that helps:s0155:

I had a usp .45 that was fully ambidextrous. I am left handed. I found that I occasionally bumped the mag release on accident.. It was a great gun, but that really bugged me.

I carry a full size S&W M&P 45 for more than three years now. It is a great fit for my left hand and from what I hear works well for the rest of you as well:)

If your friend is that hung up on the use of the slide release he should be looking at a revolver.

Already has one.....looking for a higher capacity semi.

I'd not say he's "Hung up" on it...but, and I can see his point here...in a 'situation' he'd rather not be fumbling for something that should actually be relatively easy...hence the whole "Looking for options" deal. And, I think folks here have provided plenty of great options, and I suspect he's going to head the M&P route, good fit/feel/cost package all round it seems.

I think us 'Righties' forget that the 'lefties' have it tough when so many things are designed are designed right handed.

As an aside....read "A Left Hand Turn Around the World" By David Wolman (A Portland resident, and Southpaw as it happens)....quite amusing!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top