Opinions on pump 30/06 ?

Reactions
I've got my Dad's old 760 pump '06. Took it deer hunting for the first time with it. While I will still hunt with it in the coming years I learned a valuable lesson with it. I found a V-rest in a tree where I laid the gun in for a steady rest. I took my first shots at the deer and had to get out of the rest every time to load another round; yes it took me three shots. Anyhow, I discovered that I would rather have a bolt gun while in a rest or on a bipod.

Reactions
I had a remington 760 pump in .308 years ago.
It was a good rifle. But If you plan to reload your own ammo a bolt is preferable.
Also in a pump you might want to avoid the light magnum type loads , not for safty reasons so much as the case might expand and cause your pump to stick. The remington pumps are often very acurate. But in general a bolt will be more so.

...tj3006

Reactions
Had an early 60s Remington pump, but not for long. Recall zeroing it
in, was painfull due to the stock configuration. At that time two
were available, rifle and carbine. I had the shorter barreled one.
Accuracy was OK for hunting, but bolt is so much better that I
never went back. Nothing wrong with them, as they have been
made a long time. Just not user friendly for me, and can't see an
advantage unless you like them, and are a great buy, I perfer a bolt.

Reactions
3 thoughts on the pump -

If you buy the Remington 760/7600 and have an 870 the operation are similar.

If you load make sure your sizing is right... or safely chamber check your rounds prior o going to the field.

Take time in the zero process. Lots of them have light barrels and tend to string if they get hot. In my experience.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom