JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of the two, 10/22. If you ever need to modify said for whatever purpose, there are a gazillion options, from the practical to the silly. And it is magazine fed; 10-rounders pack easy and the larger ones provide plenty of plinking fun.

I don't know about the Marlin, but installing a threaded barrel for the purpose of running suppressed is super easy on the Ruger: just acquire a threaded 16¼" barrel and swapped it out. Like this little fellow:

472614-34c5e449eabc4cf033bc4db8c26cbd3e.jpg

Marlin hands down! I like accurate rifles and a bone stock Marlin will out shoot a tricked out 10/22 all day long! Easier to clean the barrel as the micro groves don't hold lead fouling nearly as bad as others, and the rifles are stupid proof reliable! And you don't need to worry about forgetting mags or loosing them, the 60 has it built in!

My first new rifle at 18 was a Marlin 60 and it killed a many a snake, rabbit, and varmints as well as digesting thousands of rounds of .22 ammo over its 20 year life. It finally shot out and was parted out. I still own an early Model 60 , 2 Ruger 10/22's. and the Browning takedown like pictured above. I plink with the Rugers , I hunt small game with either the Browning or the 60 due to the accuracy with certain ammo I get.
The failure to operate problem with the 60 and the 10/22 is mostly due to lack of cleaning or overlubing and getting more dirt stuck in em in short order. 22LR is nasty in any semi-auto and caked residue makes things stick and jam.

I put the MCARBO trigger upgrade and spring kit in mine
Marlin 60 / Marlin 795 Target Trigger
Marlin 60 Trigger Spring Kit

I have both a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 60. I have one of the less common Marlin 60s from the mid 1980s that has the last shot bolt hold-open catch that was added in the 1980s but also still has the 22 inch barrel and 17-round magazine, before they reduced the magazine capacity to 14-rounds in the late 1980s and then shortened the barrel to 19 inches in the early 2000s.

You can usually find a used Marlin 60 for less than a used Ruger 10/22. You also don't have to buy magazines and don't have to worry about forgetting to bring magazines when you go shooting. If you get a Spee-D-Loader Spee-D-Loader™ you can rapidly reload the tube magazine. The "Micro-Groove" barrel is supposed to have greater inherent accuracy. I got my used Marlin 60 at a pawn shop for under $120. At first it had some failure to eject problems but after adjusting the ejector Ejector wire gage for Marlin 60 - RimfireCentral.com Forums it shoots reliably. BTW, there is a good chance the Marlin 60 will be banned as an "assault weapon" in Oregon next year or in 2020 so if you think you might ever want one get one now. More than 11 million have been sold and I see them in pawn shops all the time.

The Ruger 10/22 has a lot more aftermarket parts and customization options. I got a used one at a gun show for around $180 I think and I have upgraded the stock, barrel, trigger group, and magazine release on mine. It is faster and easier to reload than the Marlin 60 but you need to buy magazines for it. With all of the upgrades my Ruger 10/22 is accurate and reliable. When I take new shooters to the range they all enjoy shooting it. A stock Ruger 10/22 is not threatened by a possible "assault weapon" ban.

22 Tub fed rifles may be banned next year? Meaning you'd have to give them to the state? Or banned for sale in Oregon?

Glenfield Model 60 (same as Marlin 60), late 60's. The only thing that I wish it had is the last shot bolt open. If you want a .22 rifle that you don't have to mess with to get to shoot well I would choose it every time. If you like modifying and spending lots of money on a .22, then buy the Ruger 10/22. I don't know about how either one has faired over the years as far as quality, but I think that I wouldn't buy new. Find an older well taken care of one.

As far as the large capacity magazine on the Ruger, I have seen more problems with them lately with the bullets jammed into the feed lips.

Actually, the new legislation written says anything that is capable of holding more than 5 rounds. I'm leaving this state and taking this with me !!!!!!!!

View attachment 527917
It is legal for me to hold your guns for you in Columbia County. Gun regulations are frozen to 2012. I can borrow someone else's gun, SB941 is gone.

This is meant as humor, but we will see how things turn out.

Last Edited:
22 Tub fed rifles may be banned next year? Meaning you'd have to give them to the state? Or banned for sale in Oregon?

IP 43 didn't make it to the ballot this year because they didn't have enough time to gather signatures. The sponsors of IP 43 have sworn that if the Legislature doesn't pass an IP 43-like "assault weapon" ban next year they will put it on the ballot in 2020. With a Democratic supermajority in both chambers of the Legislature and Gov. Kate Brown who has received $500,000 from Michael Bloomberg, something like IP 43 is likely to become law next year. If for some reason that doesn't happen son-of-IP 43 will be on the ballot in 2020 and given the success of gun control initiatives in Washington and California recently, it will pass.

Among the definitions of "assault weapons" in IP 43 is this:

any semiautomatic pistol or rifle with a fixed ammunition magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds;

Is the Marlin 60 a semiautomatic pistol or rifle? Check.
Does it have a fixed ammunition magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds? Check.
Therefore, a Marlin 60 would be classified as an "assault weapon".

So would these:
mQRBM5C.jpg
OszQoj9.jpg

so if you want one get one now. A storm is coming.

Sales and transfers of "assault weapons" and "large capacity" magazines in Oregon would be illegal. People moving to Oregon couldn't bring them in. Those who already own "assault weapons" like the Marlin 60 and "large capacity" magazines would have to within 120 days register them with the police, remove them from the state, surrender them to the police for destruction, or render them permanently inoperable. Those registering "assault weapons" and "large capacity" magazines would have to submit to a background check and submit evidence that the "assault weapon" and magazines are securely stored. Even if registered, use of the registered "assault weapons" and magazines would be very restricted:

must submit evidence satisfactory to the Department to establish that: (a) The owner has securely stored the assault weapon or large capacity magazine pursuant to existing law and, in addition, as provided in any rules and regulations adopted by the Department specifically relating to assault weapons and large capacity magazines; (b) The owner possesses any lawful assault weapon or large capacity magazine only: (A) On property owned or immediately controlled by the registered owner; (B) On property owned by another with the owner's express permission in a manner consistent with subsection (4)(a) in this section; (C) On the premises of a firearms dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful repair; (D) While engaged in the legal use of the assault weapon or large capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting; (E) At a firearms competition or exhibition, display or educational project about firearms sponsored, conducted by approved or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that fosters proficiency in firearms use or promotes firearms education

You could not for example use your registered "assault weapon" and magazines out in the woods or in the desert on public land.

Violation of any of the above would be a Class B felony. Felons lose all of their gun rights everywhere in the country.

Unkown if Trump is restocking the 9th Circuit judge but Cali has an injunction against their ban and it now is in place before a hearing in the Spring of 2019 before the 9th liberal circuit.

Unkown if Trump is restocking the 9th Circuit judge but Cali has an injunction against their ban and it now is in place before a hearing in the Spring of 2019 before the 9th liberal circuit.

Only the "large capacity" magazine possession ban, not the "assault weapon" ban. Some farmer in California who tried to obey the new law and register his "assault weapon" raised some suspicions and the cops raided his house. He has been charged with nine felonies NRA-ILA | California Farmer Has Guns Confiscated and Faces Felony Charges After Trying to Register Rifle

If you want to mod up a gun then the Ruger is the obvious choice but plan on spending almost as much as a race gun depending on what you want it to do.

It's always amazed me over the years, various buddies have spent considerable on the gew-gaws on their 10/22, most of which I've never cared for in any way, and they have done precious little to improve accuracy (admittedly usually pretty good OEM) along the way.

One OCD buddy was proud of the base-cheap new $129 10/22 years ago, and spent 4x that on stocks/carbon barrel/etc. In the end his 'bench rest 10/22' was always in the top 5 of his precision bench rest club.

I have several 10 22 now and thinking they would be banned? I was thinking of picking up a Marlin 60 in Laminated Wood Stock and Stainless Steel and tub fed but now realize that would be banned as well? Do I have that correct?

The Marlin 60 out of the box is a shooter no mods needed. The 10/22 needs mods to meet what the Marlin 60 does for around 150.00. Having owned both, the 10/22 was fun and mods galore. I think I ended up putting around 700.00 into that 10/22 no including purchase, but still never shot much better then the Marlin 60 does. The Marlin 60 has a long long track record. And hasn't not changed much since the 90's other then round capacity.

Always wanted to have one of those little Marlins. I just love the look of them.

As many here have already said, the Ruger has a myriad of custom options. I just put the BX trigger in mine, which is a huge improvement over stock. The only thing I can say from personal experience comparing popular 22's is the Savage 64 is more accurate out of the box than the Ruger 10/22. Although, a stock 10/22 delivers perfectly acceptable performance most common applications. I know people who have thousands and thousands of rounds through their stock 10/22's and are perfectly happy with them.

This is a topic that has been on my mind for decades. I had a Marlin 60 and it was very accurate with thumbnail groups at 50 feet.. But it felt so flimsy and was finicky about the ammo (didn't like the cheap stuff). I have gone thru about a half dozen 10/22s. Very reliable but the accuracy is mediocre with typically fist size groups at 50'. A lot of accessories available.

I worked one 10/22 with a Green Mountain heavy barrel, trigger, extractor, match stock and more. But then it was too heavy to hunt with. After I did it, it didn't seem to make sense to put $450 worth of parts on a $150 rifle. I got rid of it.

Right now, I have a 10/22 Takedown. The accuracy is "okay" but it's really convenient to pack along so I'm going to keep it. I used to have a Remington 581 that I loved. Unfortunately it was stolen and I have never found another at a reasonable price.