JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any advantages of one over the other? Thanks.
If you want after market and mags is where the Ruger shines. First Ruger I ever bought was in the 70's. I went to a new store to look and almost bought another Marlin 60. That was the first time I had seen the at that time fairly new Ruger. Price was higher of course and I ended up buying it. Started a long love with them. Now days the take down model is my favorite. Have an older standard one that never comes out of the safe.

The Marlin is tube fed, so +1 to the 10/22 for being magazine fed. Makes for more shooting and less reloading with multiple mags.

The 10/22 is a proven platform, so to me the choice is clear....if I was ever going to own a .22lr.

The Marlin model 60 is the first "new" gun I ever bought, I still have it, and its basically a POS compared to any quality or military grade firearm. The trigger guard is plastic, the trigger pull is awful and difficult to make better. The fire control and feeding mechanism does come apart but good luck getting it back together again. That being said, I did put a lot of rounds through mine over the last 28 years (10K maybe)to the point the receiver is a little worn out. The only thing that broke was the bolt release. Accuracy is pretty good and would be better if it had a trigger pull that weighted less than the rifle. My vote would be fore a Ruger 10/22 if I had a choice between the two. When I get another .22 rifle, I think I am going to build one on a CMMG .22 upper.

I bought marlin 60 couple years ago after decades with 10/22s.

Excellent accuracy and most excellent for training the grandkids.

UPDATE & CONFESSION:

gents:
Somehow I misidentified the model Marlin intended to comment upon.
Believe this is "XT-22TSR" stainless bolt version. Not seen on this image is the
hooded front fiber optic rod.

Outstanding value IMHO:

70823_XT-22TSR_Right.png

Last Edited:
I'd say if you were picking a gun for internal magazine capabilities, I'd go with a Henry Lever action. Or a Browning which is my favorite as you load from the buttstock and you don't have to muzzle yourself. They are also the original break down 22!

upload_2018-12-14_16-22-21.jpeg

Otherwise the 10-22 is a hard gun to compete with. Not much out there like it.

Out of your two picks, I'd highly recommend the 10-22.

I loved my Marlin lever gun in 30-30 and is the only Marlin rifle I owned. That being said, a friend had one that we shot a lot & it was a pos IMHO.
Have a Ruger 10-22 Deluxe with a metal trigger bone stock & LOVE IT!!!!:p

I'd say if you were picking a gun for internal magazine capabilities, I'd go with a Henry Lever action. Or a Browning which is my favorite as you load from the buttstock and you don't have to muzzle yourself. They are also the original break down 22!

View attachment 527853

I like it. I like it a lot.

Last Edited:

View attachment 527853

Nice, what model is that Browning breakdown rifle?

Accessories and bling get a 10-22 for sure, the aftermarket stuff can turn them into everything imaginable including a multi barrel version of a Gatling gun.
For traditional woods plinking it would be a Marlin 60 for me, and tubes are easy and fast to reload.
I like the look and feel of the wood Marlin over the wood Ruger.
It may be arguable about Ruger overall better made, but I think either will give a lifetime of service and fun..

The Marlin model 60 is the first "new" gun I ever bought, I still have it, and its basically a POS compared to any quality or military grade firearm. The trigger guard is plastic, the trigger pull is awful and difficult to make better.

I put the MCARBO trigger upgrade and spring kit in mine
Marlin 60 / Marlin 795 Target Trigger
Marlin 60 Trigger Spring Kit

I have both a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 60. I have one of the less common Marlin 60s from the mid 1980s that has the last shot bolt hold-open catch that was added in the 1980s but also still has the 22 inch barrel and 17-round magazine, before they reduced the magazine capacity to 14-rounds in the late 1980s and then shortened the barrel to 19 inches in the early 2000s.

You can usually find a used Marlin 60 for less than a used Ruger 10/22. You also don't have to buy magazines and don't have to worry about forgetting to bring magazines when you go shooting. If you get a Spee-D-Loader Spee-D-Loader™ you can rapidly reload the tube magazine. The "Micro-Groove" barrel is supposed to have greater inherent accuracy. I got my used Marlin 60 at a pawn shop for under $120. At first it had some failure to eject problems but after adjusting the ejector Ejector wire gage for Marlin 60 - RimfireCentral.com Forums it shoots reliably. BTW, there is a good chance the Marlin 60 will be banned as an "assault weapon" in Oregon next year or in 2020 so if you think you might ever want one get one now. More than 11 million have been sold and I see them in pawn shops all the time.

The Ruger 10/22 has a lot more aftermarket parts and customization options. I got a used one at a gun show for around $180 I think and I have upgraded the stock, barrel, trigger group, and magazine release on mine. It is faster and easier to reload than the Marlin 60 but you need to buy magazines for it. With all of the upgrades my Ruger 10/22 is accurate and reliable. When I take new shooters to the range they all enjoy shooting it. A stock Ruger 10/22 is not threatened by a possible "assault weapon" ban.

Love my Marlin. Super shooter without mods.

Speed loaders can be bought for tube fed mags.

Buy an older one as I hear mixed reviews on new ones.

If you want to mod up a gun then the Ruger is the obvious choice but plan on spending almost as much as a race gun depending on what you want it to do.

Nothing against the Marlin. Whatever gun you have at the moment seems to be the best...
I bought my second 10/22 back in Killeen, TX in '86. Still have it. it's a great shooter and now my kids love it. It's easy to work on, easy to clean and parts are available everywhere. I believe we will keep it.