JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Amen Brother, by the grace of God, His provision and protection has been sufficient. May His abundant blessing continue upon those who believe, even as prophecy is fulfilled.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.... social disruption occurs suddenly and is without a care for anyone. When it happens you do what you have to do. Prepping never hurts. Guns and ammo is good but cash is king.

Guns and ammo is good but cash is king.

Until it isn't.

Maybe it always will be. Who knows?

But at some point, there will be things you simply can't buy no matter how much money you have. Someday guns may be one of those things. Guns that are "not on the books", that are banned or severely restricted, that nobody knows you have - those might someday be invaluable and indespensible.

Remember when ford fell to less than a dollar a share? 2008

Lol...yes. Although I think the actual lowest close in 2008 was something like $1.25 a share. Ford is part of my 12 stock portfolio core.

However by the end of 2009 Ford has risen to $10 a share and by the end of 2011 risen to $16.79 a share. I guarantee that there were people who made a crap ton of money on Ford when everyone else panicked.

Ford also currently has a 6% dividend yield :D.

E

Last Edited:

The conclusion to all of belangp's videos seems to be gold but he makes some good points.

Prognosticators can go on and on about what is going to happen in the future. If they were all that good at it, they would be very very rich and not needing to sell us books, newsletters nor would they need to make vids for Youtube to get advertising dollars. Remember... lies, damned lies and statistics.

I have observed a few things along with others much more informed than I.

Ignore at your own risk.

1) Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify. This includes precious metals, cash, etc.
2) Buy low. Sell high. Don't panic buy or sell. Let it ride.
3) Don't put $$$ into the "market" that you are going to need in an emergency. See #2 and #6
4) Do not take on high interest debt. Remember that "credit" is really debt. Pay cash. See #5
5) Do not live above your means (for some people on limited incomes with issues like serious illness, this can be difficult).
6) If at all possible, save as much as possible from your income. You will need it. Stuff happens.

This works for most people IMO. I know it works for me (for the last 2 decades).

A combination of aggressive early repayment (50-100% extra principal on each monthly payment) and a building up and eventually utilizing a portfolio dubbed "mortgage killer" took out a 30-year mortgage in five years, one month, and two weeks from the origination date.
Nicely done!!!!

Today I opened a new speculative position in Altria Group.

Altria is the parent company of Philip Morris USA (producer of Marlboro), U.S. Smokeless Tobacco (Copenhagen and Skoal), Philip Morris Capital Corporation, and Chateau Ste Michelle Wine Estates. Altria also maintains large minority stakes in Belgium-based brewer ABin Bev, Anhaeuser Busch, the Canadian cannabis company Cronos Group, and the e-cigarette maker JUUL Labs.

Altria has a 1/3 stake in JUUL Labs (12.8 billion) and may lose it all due to federal regulation. Altria had also been discussing a merger with Phillip Morris International which was derailed today.

Altria is currently down 35% as a result and traded 26 million shares today as people panicked and bailed......which is where I stepped in.

People are not going to stop smoking and drinking. Plus it pays a 7% dividend. :D

E

Last Edited:

Altria is the parent company of Philip Morris USA (producer of Marlboro), U.S. Smokeless Tobacco (Copenhagen and Skoal), Philip Morris Capital Corporation, and Chateau Ste Michelle Wine Estates. Altria also maintains large minority stakes in Belgium-based brewer ABin Bev, Anhaeuser Busch, the Canadian cannabis company Cronos Group, and the e-cigarette maker JUUL Labs.

Altria has a 1/3 stake in JUUL Labs (12.8 billion) and may lose it all due to federal regulation. Altria had also been discussing a merger with Phillip Morris International which was derailed today.

Altria is currently down 35% as a result and traded 26 million shares today as people panicked and bailed......which is where I stepped in.

People are not going to stop smoking and drinking. Plus it pays a 7% dividend. :D

E
I almost feel like I should liquidate and reinvest!
:rolleyes:

E

I looked....
I see the strategy.....

Though it's NOT FOR ME.

The search continues.

Aloha, Mark

If I can get an auto loan at 2% it's way better to finance it and keep my money in the bank. If the economy tanks they can repo the auto and I'll be able to buy one cash easily for a fantastic deal. There are ways to leverage financing to your advantage, the mistake is using it to buy what you cant afford in the first place. The rates are insane these days.

I looked....
I see the strategy.....

Though it's NOT FOR ME.

The search continues.

Aloha, Mark

Revisiting this post for entertainment purposes only..........as of this morning Altria Group has gained back 10% since we discussed this a month ago. Plus they announced an ex-dividend date of 12/24 where they will lock in a dividend payment of 84 cents per share for the quarter. Merry Christmas to me.

I so love a good panic. :D

E

Last Edited:
Marry a women that detests spending money.
Yup. My wife's inherent frugality is the only reason we have anything. It's why when we need to spend $ we have it to spend.
When I read in the paper that most people have -$0- saving and couldn't pay cash for a set of tires I can't understand how people can stand the stress of living like that. When we have been financially distressed we cut back as much as possible and rebuild as soon as we can. Now we are in a position to get what we need, since we can get by on less that most people think they are entitled to, and don't care about putting on the dog. It astounds me how people spend $ they don't have on a credit card for something they don't really need, then have to buy necessities on credit. We could have lived I grander style than we have, but it's a whole lot better to have and actually own what you need, as opposed to buying a lot of crap you just want and owing on it.

Re: Divine Providence and the individual - I truly feel I am alive today due in no small part to help from the Holy Spirit.
In Aug. of '16 I had widowmaker M.I. Survival rate for such occurring outside of a hospital are about 12%, and I coded (died) in the aid unit. Snohomish County EMS has a particularly good record for code saves which I will not dispute, and they got me to Providence Cardiac. The 1st doc said I wouldn't make it while the doc who brought me thru was assembling his team. The folks in Cardiac Intensive Care they did not expect me to go home alive. So I thank all concerned - it was a team effort. SnoCo EMS, Providence Cardiac, my wife and the Holy Spirit.

Last Edited:
When I read in the paper that most people have -$0- saving and couldn't pay cash for a set of tires I can't understand how people can stand the stress of living like that. When we have been financially distressed we cut back as much as possible and rebuild as soon as we can.

When I was starting out, when I needed tires, I would wait until Sunday and go rummage around in the pile of used tires behind the local tire store looking for something with enough tread on it to last a couple of months, that would fit on my car. Then I would take it home and pry it on to a wheel with a long screwdriver, then take that to a local gas station to pump it up (back in the days when air was free).

That is how poor we were - we had to scrounge and there were no savings - we often didn't have enough to pay rent - back when rent was just $100-$200 for a two bedroom duplex. We didn't have credit cards until later - for one thing, CCs were not very common, and getting one required you to have a steady job. Our first CC was a JC Penny card that had a credit line of $200, and it wasn't until much later that I got a Visa.

We are mainly liquid sans 401k. Waiting for a recession to buy into the stock market. Seems silly to purchase right now.

More or less right there. Retirement accounts are full steam ahead, because we have time. Taxed portfolio we've, after paying off the house, pulled back to safe investments and savings. Next major purchase is a full-sized truck; after that is done and the market finally corrects, going to buy up the deals on the stock market. I'm at least mildly surprised it hasn't corrected yet, but it will eventually.

Between property tax, mortgage interest and maxing out my 401K, I stay out of a higher tax bracket.

What I put into a 401K or IRA, will come out later at a much lower tax rate (some of it, about 10%, will not be taxed at all).

Meanwhile, it increases in value (on paper) on average by about 5-10% each year - about the same appreciation as my property (which I figure, due to appreciation of equity, that I will have lived on for free when I sell it, even though right now it costs me almost $30K per year in mortgage and tax payments).

Between the two, they are investments in the future. This works for me, for the past decade, but I am in it for the long run.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top