JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The city ordinances were one of the main reasons I got a CHL. If I wanted different firearm laws every 30-50 miles, I'd move to the East coast.

Well, a few cities laws pre-date state preemption, so rather than change the local laws, they just accept that those parts of the laws that the state law preempts is invalid. (Plus, if the state law ever changes to allow localities to have more control, the city will already be set.)

But the main "benefit" for cities is that it introduces confusion, discouraging people from carrying. (Such as my own confusion over loaded magazines. I had considered myself well-informed, but it wasn't until I was challenged on it that I researched further and am now convinced that outside-the-weapon loaded magazines are not bannable.)

Cities wouldn't be "spanked", they would just be told it is unenforceable.

There is quite a bit of language in the ORS section 166, and its easy to be confused especially with the permission given to localities to regulate loaded carry. It is however nice that here in the State of Oregon, that CHL holders are exempt from 99% of these places whether you choose to carry concealed or openly.

I have personally OC'ed thus far in Salem, Newport and Oregon City (places I know that regulate loaded OC) and have yet to have much of any encounter whatsoever by LE or otherwise. In fact, the only encounter I've had besides a quick "what you carrying there?" was here in Woodburn at a quick mart.

This was going to turn into a long and involved post. Needless to say, if anyone has any interest into OC or the "edge of gun rights" you would likely be better served by OCDO forums. You might run into a few trolls around there, however no more than you'd find around here I guess. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top