JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
… suck!!! (Not all off them but many of them)

The day that Biden denounced ammo from Russia many ammo retailers were sold out of Tula and Wolf, I was mostly paying attention to 762x39. I presumed everyone went and just bought it all up, but this is not the case. 2 days later they magically have them available again but at $0.50+ per round ( I've seen prices from $0.52-0.58 a round). It's BS. The ammo didn't magically become better over night. I don't consider it more valuable just because it won't be available anymore, The reason being there is better ammo for the same price. I bought some Yugoslav brass ammo for exactly $0.50 a round after shipping. Haven't shot it yet so I don't know if it's better or not but it was a little cheaper. And I've seen

I know some of you are going to say "it's a free market" and your not wrong. However, IMO there is charging more because something is worth more and then there is unscrupulous up-charging that is just taking advantage of people. We all saw a lot of that everywhere during a large part of this pandemic and

Only buy what you need to practice until prices drop.
I'm just happy that I've found decent ammo online for what is fair given the situation.

If supply becomes a set number, as in, no more of that particular anything being imported, by default all remaining items identical to it become more valuable an every time one is fired the ones that still remain become more valuable yet

Sadly just the way it works. Anyplace that had some of the stuff if they kept selling it at the same price it would have been gone in seconds. People would have bought it all then they would be offering it up for sale at the now "normal price". Kind of one of those what can you say things.
Wife and I are moving. One of the older boys came over to help move the ammo as moving Co said they could not. Son was helping me and I could see on his face he was wondering if I was going all tinfoil hat :s0140:
Finally said "what are you going to do with all this ammo?" I held up a sleeve of .22, said I paid $6 for these. Said for a while they were easy to sell for $25. Help up a box of 9mm. Said I paid $10 for this, for a while it easily sold for $50. So when your mom and I shuffle off take this stuff. Wait till there is another panic going. They manage to start one every few years. Then sell it and buy what you want. :s0140:
Meanwhile it was a bubblegum moving that damn stuff. Reminded me I need to get back to the range more when I get all this move work done though. :D

Sadly just the way it works. Anyplace that had some of the stuff if they kept selling it at the same price it would have been gone in seconds. People would have bought it all then they would be offering it up for sale at the now "normal price". Kind of one of those what can you say things.
Wife and I are moving. One of the older boys came over to help move the ammo as moving Co said they could not. Son was helping me and I could see on his face he was wondering if I was going all tinfoil hat :s0140:
Finally said "what are you going to do with all this ammo?" I held up a sleeve of .22, said I paid $6 for these. Said for a while they were easy to sell for $25. Help up a box of 9mm. Said I paid $10 for this, for a while it easily sold for $50. So when your mom and I shuffle off take this stuff. Wait till there is another panic going. They manage to start one every few years. Then sell it and buy what you want. :s0140:
Meanwhile it was a bubblegum moving that damn stuff. Reminded me I need to get back to the range more when I get all this move work done though. :D
I had the same issue when I moved up from CA. Bought a large stash before they implemented the background check for ammo, then moved up here a few years later. But I rented a pod and shipped it up in a pod. So I have a good stash of everything I shoot, but didn't have 762 or Makarov since these were the first guns I own in those calibers. Living I bought some Russian ammo before the ban but not enough.

I guess I always presumed the firearm retailers were part of the support for the second amendment, which is probably true, but it shows that money is more important to them. I don't think the USA has a free market, I think it's stifled with corruption. It's more like free'ish.

Lol, you drive a $40,000 car and complain the cheap ammo isn't so cheap anymore. Sounds like first world problems to me, maybe you should go back to Cali where people pretend to care about your problems.

"There is a substantial sanction package against Russia planned by the US government that is expected to happen near the end of November. The sanction package has 6 points and requires that at least 3 of the 6 be implemented, 1 of these 6 points has the would block almost all imports to the USA of goods made in Russia which is extremely likely to include ammo if it gets selected."

SGammo email update October 2018

He continued to remind folks about market lows AND to stock up...

Last Edited:
I had the same issue when I moved up from CA. Bought a large stash before they implemented the background check for ammo, then moved up here a few years later. But I rented a pod and shipped it up in a pod. So I have a good stash of everything I shoot, but didn't have 762 or Makarov since these were the first guns I own in those calibers. Living I bought some Russian ammo before the ban but not enough.

I guess I always presumed the firearm retailers were part of the support for the second amendment, which is probably true, but it shows that money is more important to them. I don't think the USA has a free market, I think it's stifled with corruption. It's more like free'ish.
I feel for you but, if the retailers you now are mad at had left the price the same it would have been gone in seconds. So how would that help anyone? Unless they put strict limits on it and doled it out a few boxes at a time. Even then people would have lined up to buy it all in hours. Not to mention it would be a huge cost and hassle for the retailer to try to keep track of till it was gone. Bottom line it would still be gone. It would then be for sale for the going rate just not from the same people you are mad at. So again who wins here? :s0092:
If someone is going to make some bucks off it I would FAR rather see people like my favorite, SG, make the bucks rather than someone who bought it all and then sells it off.
The real problem here is a LOT of gun owners elected the moron we have in office right now who did this. A lot of them were proudly saying they were going to help him win. Hope they are all happy with what they got, they did ask for it. The rest of us have no choice but to make the best of it in the time being.

The current Russia ammo sanction blocks new import requests…any existing imports will still go through. For all we know, Wolf and Tula could have a combined million rounds already approved.

The sanction also has an expiration date when it would need to be re-approved or extended.

Here's to hoping the impact is minimal - just enough for Biden to attempt some brownie points in the media (wasted effort due to Afghanistan, but you can't say he didn't try).

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the Dems lose the house and have a lot more crap to worry about come extension time.

Is it possible there are any other ammo manufacturing countries that could possibly take the place of Russia?
I hear there's this new upstart country south of Canada and north of Mexico that could crank out a couple rounds.

They need to get the important things taken care of first though, such as knowing what pronoun to use to refer to each other.

"There is a substantial sanction package against Russia planned by the US government that is expected to happen near the end of November. The sanction package has 6 points and requires that at least 3 of the 6 be implemented, 1 of these 6 points has the would block almost all imports to the USA of goods made in Russia which is extremely likely to include ammo if it gets selected."

SGammo email update October 2018

He continued to remind folks about market lows AND to stock up...
Question: How much ammo actually comes from Russia? Satellite countries? Are they in the sanction?

Just wondering. I decided long ago that I would not spend my money and send it off to those Bloc countries (in general). Won't buy an AK either bc I'd have to buy the ammo. Guess I'll just have to pick one up off a dead BG!

Question: How much ammo actually comes from Russia? Satellite countries? Are they in the sanction?
Great question. I would like to see a fact based answer on this. Everyone is throwing around the 40% number from Guns & Advertising (Ammo) that they quoted from an ammo importer but without any stats / facts to back it up. I'm calling BS on this number but will humbly stand corrected if someone can find data to prove it correct. For 7.62x39, sure. But in the circles and ranges that I'm around I don't see 5% of what is being shot Russian. I could be wrong.

If it's way below 40% shame on the editors of G&A for not doing due diligence as they are responsible for starting the panic which is jacking prices. As journalists they should have provided some data other than a quote from one ammo importer...imho.

Lol, you drive a $40,000 car and complain the cheap ammo isn't so cheap anymore. Sounds like first world problems to me, maybe you should go back to Cali where people pretend to care about your problems.
I bought that car used, it's an older model, and didn't pay that much for it. Just because someone drives a nice car doesn't mean they have extra money to spend. In fact, if it wasn't for my family (also not rich, just very supportive) I might be living in said car. I'm on furlough with limited income and money is tight. Even if someone did have money to spare, it's sht that there is no cheap(ish) ammo anymore.

You need to check your attitude and keep your presumptions to your self. I am never going back to CA. But you go right ahead, you would fit in. I thought people were cool in Portland, and then I meet people like you that make me realize there are a$$-hats in every state.

And yes, this is absolutely first world problems.

Last Edited:
The real problem here is a LOT of gun owners elected the moron we have in office right now who did this. A lot of them were proudly saying they were going to help him win. Hope they are all happy with what they got, they did ask for it. The rest of us have no choice but to make the best of it in the time being.
I'm more so a liberal (not Dem or Rep) but I for sure didn't vote for him. He is just not qualified. And he might die in office. God forbid, his replacement in that case would be worse.

I bought that car used, it's an older model, and didn't pay that much for it. Just because someone drives a nice car doesn't mean they have extra money to spend. In fact, if it wasn't for my family (also not rich, just very supportive) I might be living in said car. I'm on furlough with limited income and money is tight. Even if someone did have money to spare, it's sht that there is no cheap(ish) ammo anymore.

You need to check your attitude and keep your presumptions to your self. I am never going back to CA. But you go right ahead, you would fit in. I thought people were cool in Portland, and then I meet people like you that make me realize there are a$$-hats in every state.

And yes, this is absolutely first world problems.
Ok lets try this again, basic economics 101, when demand goes up and availability goes down the price goes up. If you want to shoot you guns you pay the price. If the price is too high vote with your checkbook don't buy it and shoot something else or not at all until the price cones down to something you want to pay. On thing for sure, being a member of the Cry Baby Nation and whining about your "injustice" on this forum speaks volumes about who you are.

Build a base of ammo, say 1000 rounds. Then shoot as you want but realize that you must buy to keep "the pipeline" full or else you'll just end up ammo-poor again. Yes ammo is more expensive 'than it used to be', but that's the way it is. Chances are it may never be that low again. Or you could take up archery and just spend a lot of time looking for your misses.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads