JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i always seem to buy one piece bases if I can find them for the rifle I'm scoping.
It said,in some circles,that one piece strengthens the action. A little more rigidity
Some no matter. But it can get in the way of loading from the top or ejecting.
Never had these problems my self.
Now it does give you more space to place the rings. Can't say as I have ever placed the rings that far from where they would be with two piece. And I like picantiny scope rings. Makes me more secure with my mount.
The one piece for the American are about the same as decent two piece in price
This is going on my new Ruger American. A guy here said to get 20moa for it too. Maybe after I get proficient at 600 yards?
So are they better or just make me feel better?
Thanks
Mike

Personally I've used, and have both I don't see off any difference other than the feeling of being more secure with a one piece.

As long as the 1 or 2 piece are good quality you will probably never know the difference.

I think a lot of "problems" people talk about with guns or accessories are just a way to get people to listen to them talking heads.

It's a solution in search of a problem. Uniformed people making uneducation conversation.

I agree the differences are virtually negligible regardless I went with a 1 pc pictanny on my last scope mount. I "felt" it was stronger if say the rifle is dropped and side loaded the scope and it does give more options on ring placement which could be important depending on the type of scope. In my case, a more traditional hunting scope, I was able to spread the rings 1 notch apart farther for more strength but who cares... again, the differences are virtually negligible.

When I was at Warne in Tualatin getting bases and rings for my rifle I asked them that question and he said it's farce, there is no discernable difference in strength.

When I was at Warne in Tualatin getting bases and rings for my rifle I asked them that question and he said it's farce, there is no discernable difference in strength.
o_O
Do they sell a one piece base?
:D
And like I said,the ones for the American aren't too spendy. Crap the one for my 700 was quite a bit more than regular two piece bases
Is it easy to find 20moa two piece bases? Never looked for those. I have the rail in 20moa for the 700 also. But I'm not going out far enough for it to make a difference......
Yet;)

I think it all comes down to weather or not you need a -20 mounting option, then the one piece base would make more sense. I run both one and two piece and have never had issues with any of the systems. I would avoid aluminum and get steel mounts and make sure to lock tight all screws. BTW, I had a -10 deg mount custom made for my long range toy, and it is cut out quite a bit over the ejection port, so I doubt it adds any thing strength wise!

that could be... my thought was that if the scope took an impact the force would be distributed between 4 screws bridged together vs 2 screws.

I agree its probably not discernible though... I really just wanted more options for ring placement and I like the looks of the 1pc base.

Steel one piece base, I prefer turn in style bases and rings, purely for their aesthetic value. Weaver rings are so dang utilitarian looking and, to me, ugly. Best set up I ever saw was a handmade claw mount set of bases and rings mounting a swarovski (spelling ?) on a custom mauser.

Well considering the 2 piece set up is tested on a 505 Gibbs with their qd rings with no problems at the factory, and I am running the same set up on my compact lightweight 375 h&h. With zero problems I find it hard to get a 1 piece base. All that does is add clutter to the rifle and make it harder to load rounds

This is going on my new Ruger American. A guy here said to get 20moa for it too. Maybe after I get proficient at 600 yards?
I think it depends on your scope, not the rifle. How much total elevation range does your scope have? Ideally you want the elevation turret adjustment centered in the scope body as much as possible for the zero distance you want.

I prefer a one piece unit for the reasons you specified. Though I use Leupold with their lock in ring bases.

I use either type. I like better access to the action (although it's moot with actions like the Ruger American). I like 20 MOA bases too, on the other hand. I don't worry about action strength or rigidity. But then, I generally avoid hard-kicking rifles and big heavy scopes too, and don't make a habit of throwing my rifle out of pickup trucks. Also I often bed the bases and lap the rings.

I like a one piece on my bench gun and a two piece on my hunting rilfe. The bench gun has a magazine and the hunting rifle is an ADL. I have fumbled top loading with a one piece base and with the amount of chamber clearing I do on a hunting trip the two piece is easier.

In the end it's persoanl preference, I am not going ro tell someone what to do.

I like a one piece on my bench gun and a two piece on my hunting rilfe. The bench gun has a magazine and the hunting rifle is an ADL. I have fumbled top loading with a one piece base and with the amount of chamber clearing I do on a hunting trip the two piece is easier.

In the end it's persoanl preference, I am not going ro tell someone what to do.
This American come with a magazine ($40 mag I guess!) so the loading part ain't a big problem. And I haven't had much problems with my 700 and I have only loaded it one at a time so far.
Again guys thanks

Well picked up the American preditor and Ruger puts a one piece base on the gun from the factory:D
Don't worry,I'll take each screw out and blue locktite them;)
Now I wait for payday and the scope!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads