JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you were to "permanently" attach an AR upper and lower together, which parts (besides FCG) would be unserviceable?

Are there any other firearm platforms with similar limitations of having some unserviceable parts once the firearm is assembled?

I decided to sacrifice a lower and upper to try this out. It may end up being a disposable firearm in the end but lowers and uppers are cheap these days. I imagine I will be able to get plenty of rounds through it before some catastrophic maintenance issue arises.

Last Edited:
A whole awful lot is contingent on whether or not that BCG comes out. Of yes, I'm not sure you couldn't change out almost anything. If no, you're close to hosed.

Last Edited:
FCG would still be serviceable, just a real pain to do so. Assuming you used mil spec parts and not a drop in cassette. You'd have to strip the gun of it's buffer system and access via the rear of the upper but it could be done I think. Only component I'm coming up with that would be totally unserviceable would be the charging handle, but even that might be doable with a little Jimmy and shimmy. Wouldn't be a smooth process I think. Probably not getting the BCG out very kindly, either. Might be curious enough to pin a stripped set together myself and see how far I get
This BCM rifle has made it to 7000+ rounds without cleaning. That would be numerous lifetimes at the rate I go shooting.

If, for some reason, this is to comply with some sort of law and you still wanted it to be serviceable, why not essentially rivet the front pin in place and leave the rear pin standard? Then you could still clean and service the rifle as normal. If this is just to see how long an AR will go before it won't go anymore, there's likely enough research out there to give you a ballpark idea without doing it yourself.

As for which other weapons function without servicing, I'd guess a huge number of guns NEVER get cleaned and still function fine because the duty cycle is under 100 rounds in their lifetime. In this regard, I mean most guns bought by non-gun people.

Why would anyone want to do this?
Frankly, I think the potential challenge of getting the guts installed while the upper is in the way sounds like a fun challenge just to see if I can but that's as far as it goes. Attaching them permanently sounds stupid though, I agree

Frankly, I think the potential challenge of getting the guts installed while the upper is in the way sounds like a fun challenge just to see if I can but that's as far as it goes. Attaching them permanently sounds stupid though, I agree
Might as well JB weld all the drain plugs on my truck too.

Didn't we already do the thread and welding front take down pins….

Another thread from the same OP.

IMG_2813.jpeg

I could be wrong, and often am, but won't the BCG come out the back of the receiver if the buffer tube is removed? I never thought to try.

Things that make you go hummmm.

Next on "why would you" ...

A muzzle stuffer, charcoal burning, saboted, .50 cal upper because our founding fathers never anticipated anything beyond muzzle stuffers.

This and other obsequious nonsense on the next edition of "why would you"

I could be wrong, and often am, but won't the BCG come out the back of the receiver if the buffer tube is removed? I never thought to try.

Things that make you go hummmm.

Next on "why would you" ...

A muzzle stuffer, charcoal burning, saboted, .50 cal upper because our founding fathers never anticipated anything beyond muzzle stuffers.

This and other obsequious nonsense on the next edition "why would you"
The gas key on top of the BCG wouldn't allow it to be removed.

These rifles were designed to be in two pieces for a reason.

Weld the upper and lower together stripped, then cut it in half so that there's a right and left half. Then figure out how to hold it together, problem solved. I suggested in the 114 thread about using the front takedown pin tho permanently attach them together but it wasn't well received.

Weld the upper and lower together stripped, then cut it in half so that there's a right and left half. Then figure out how to hold it together, problem solved. I suggested in the 114 thread about using the front takedown pin tho permanently attach them together but it wasn't well received.
The serialization requirement for uppers in HB2005 was evidently tossed out, so the point is moot now.

It looks like I got Y2K'd again. I bought a gazillion firearms and lots of parts (including upper receivers) and just short of nothing has been passed or went into effect. These anti-gunners sure know how to sell firearm stuff.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews