JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, if I have a Rifle that Shoots One MOA at 100 yards,

Then I move Out to 1000 Yards.

The ONLY Variance Should be due to WIND, yes?

Or NO?

IF NO. What am I Missing?

Bullets are stabilized by gyroscopic action. As that rotation begins to slow, stability can suffer. Like a top or a dreidel as it winds down. Credit to Don McLean.

The word 'variance' in the question doesn't quite make sense. Let me rephrase the question:

If I have a rifle that shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards, and I then move out to 1000 yards, would it still shoot 1 MOA at 1000 yards? And if it shoots more or less than 1 MOA at 1000 yards, what factors might be involved?

Of course the wind would be a huge factor, given that the two series of shootings are both a different shooting course and different time. It would probably be impossible to get useful results unless there was close to zero wind.

Barrel heating might also matter.

Shooter fatigue would matter. You would need to shoot a lot of shots to get meaningful results.

The difference between real MOA and shooters MOA would start to matter at 1000 yards. The real MOA at 100 yards is 1.0472". Shooters round this to 1". However, at 1000 yards, a real 1 MOA string of shots would be 10.5", not 10". (Article on MOA:

I'm not a long range shooter. Never had a long range available. Just speculating from first principles. Lets hear from some experienced long range shooters.

Variability from human error should be the same for both shooting strings except for fatigue. Likewise variability from gun except for barrel heating. Likewise ammo.

Last Edited:
Also, coriolis effect will push the bullet either high, low (if you're shooting east/west) or right (or left if you're in the southern hemisphere) a little - usually between 2 and 6 inches. The target moves under your bullet while it's in flight.

On a perfectly still day, with perfect ammo from a perfectly cold bore on a rifle hard mounted to a perfectly stable table/ground whatever, yes. I'd imagine it would continue on like that. Good luck getting those conditions. My experience tells me if I can hit a target every time at 500, I have about a 25% chance of hitting the same target at 1000 at all. In a perfect linear model, twice as far means half as likely to hit, right? So something changed and the rifle's "group" expanded.

Your bullet will lose kinetic energy and while it will maintain the same MOA up to a point your groups will begin to open up at longer range even with perfectly still air. A 1 MOA 22 lr group at 100 yards will not be a 1 MOA group at 1000 yards.

You are literally missing everything important about shooting at 1000 yards. Maybe you should try shooting at 200 yards next? If that works, then 300 yards. As you get further and further away you will notice it is more than the wind.

Maybe without Parkinson's, and an extremely low pulse rate using a ransom rest, you could get a 1" group at 1000yards.
For me, it would only be by using a one shot group, and an awful lot of luck just to hit the target..

Your bullet will lose kinetic energy and while it will maintain the same MOA up to a point your groups will begin to open up at longer range even with perfectly still air. A 1 MOA 22 lr group at 100 yards will not be a 1 MOA group at 1000 yards.
22LR @ 1k yds would be more like MORI. (Minute of Rhode Island)

I have t seen holdover mentioned in this thread, nor calculating sine for a true range estimate when shooting at an inclined or declined target…..

Daniel Boone was a man, yes a BIG man….. but he weren't no mathematician!

22LR @ 1k yds would be more like MORI. (Minute of Rhode Island)

I have t seen holdover mentioned in this thread, nor calculating sine for a true range estimate when shooting at an inclined or declined target…..

Daniel Boone was a man, yes a BIG man….. but he weren't no mathematician!
I think you're looking for tangent, not sine; sine is opposite over hypotenuse.

I think you're looking for tangent, not sine; sine is opposite over hypotenuse.
36548b80b1b453a80655e71c30e3c7e6_acd835c1bf5bbcb2214e242e53922a1f.jpg

MOA... minute of angle... which means that the 1'" at 100 yards will be 10" at 1000 yards in a perfect scenario. Ammo differences,
wind, coriolus, altitude, humidity, temperature, distractions, are all real things that change outcomes. So are mirage and glass quality.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews