JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm oldgun, and I am new to this forum. I like shooting revolvers. My current endeavor is to locate a suitable gun for my wife. She has arthritis in her hands, and my S&W 686 is a little heavy both weight and trigger pull, so I'm looking at options. She's still a decent shot with it, but I'm looking to make it a little easier for her. Also, Is there a recommendation for a decent gunsmith that could do a trigger job on the 686 in the NW to make it lighter on the pull?

Another interest is that my 686 is a "midnight black" version. Last time at the range, when I ejected the spent casings I didn't turn the gun quite right and one of the brass caught slightly on the frame when I hit the ejector it left a brass mark just under the S&W stamp below the cylinder lock. Does anyone have any experience on how to remove a small brass mark (I wouldn't really call it a scratch) on the black coating?

One old gentleman at a local gun shop told me to look into a Glock 17 4th Gen, explaining that the grip is smaller and the 9mm would be easy for my wife to shoot. I plan to rent one next time we go to the range to see if that works.

Anyway, glad to be here.

Greetings,

Oldgun

Welcome to the forum.

If your wife is having arthritis issues I would recomend a slightly lighter 38 maybe a S&W airweight. Lighter with small hold and less recoil than the 357 assuming that is what she has been shooting and not 38 through the 686. The semi auto may cause a negative snap to her wrist causing pain also especially in a light weight Glock poly frame. As far as the brass residue try just rubbing with your finger to wear it off or a toothbrush with some type of grit type whitening toothpaste like the old pearl drops tooth polish.

We're shooting jacketed 38 spec. 158gr. at the range. It's not recoil, she says, but weight (+2lbs) of the 686 for 36 rounds, which she seems to get on the target pretty well at 7 yds., so I won't argue with her, but I think recoil always plays a role.

I'd like her to try a 9mm S&W M&P or Glock 17 4gen., to see how that works. I like revolvers.

We learn something new every day.

Thanks,

Oldgun

With the lite S&W revolvers 38 spl is really snappy. Another trick I just learned is using 125 gr bullets in 38spl.
You can reduce the trigger pull by changing springs. A trigger job will smooth the action, but 686 is already so smooth I would wet myslef if it got even smoother.

I suggest avioding autos especially if you wifes arthritis is progressing since you must be able to cycle the slide by hand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top