JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To me, this is old school.
By the way, the one shown below is up for sale and it's currently bid up to $5,621.00 with just 4 hours to go.
So if you're wanting a first year made 1964 Colt SP-1 Sporter with serial #00431 and brand new un-fired in the box, you'd better hurry up and bid.

View attachment 530864

I like the Colt...but would rather have the Cap Lock rifle on the cover of "Guns" magazine...:D
Andy

My nephew and I went shooting and he says, "Wow, nice AR! Looks old school!"

"EXCUSE ME? OLD SCHOOL?"

"Well, yeah."

View attachment 530839

I see why:

Stock is "old" and outdated
A2 pistol grip? Only geezers use that.
Flat trigger guard? See above.
VFGs are so 2005
Carry handle and FSB - you need a free float MLOK fore end, flip up 45 degree offsets, an AimPoint Micro with a flip over 3X magnifier
Sling? Needs QD points on both ends.
The light needs moar lumens
That flash hider needs to go, you need something phresh and aggressive, with a suppressor mount built in.
I bet thats a carbine gas system too - all the gunhipster pros know middy is where its at.
Bolt carrier group needs to be NiB
Charging handle should be huge with ambidextrous oversized paddles.

That will get you current. You should probably just give that gun to an antique collector and buy a new one from Black Rain or Noveske or Coolbroguns or something.

I see why:

VFGs are so 2005
Carry handle and FSB - you need a free float MLOK fore end, flip up 45 degree offsets, an AimPoint Micro with a flip over 3X magnifier
That flash hider needs to go, you need something phresh and aggressive, with a suppressor mount built in.
I bet thats a carbine gas system too - all the gunhipster pros know middy is where its at.

That will get you current. You should probably just give that gun to an antique collector and buy a new one from Black Rain or Noveske or Coolbroguns or something.
That stock can adjust. Mine can't. And its steel so winter and summer suck for the stock. Is mine outdated? :rolleyes:

E6C3B4B8-1240-49EB-8AB6-68747DCAC0C6.jpeg

I see why:

VFGs are so 2005

How did you miss the most obvious - not a billet lower with a skull face for a mag well!

Oh, and probably doesn't have anything engraved on it other than the brand and caliber. Should have a spartan helmet at least :rolleyes:

My nephew and I went shooting and he says, "Wow, nice AR! Looks old school!"

"EXCUSE ME? OLD SCHOOL?"

"Well, yeah."

View attachment 530839

Since the kid was talking AR-15's as old school in the first place, I immediately understand that his version and mine don't match! Ran into the same thing when I became a step-dad to a 13yr old.:eek: But the fact that he recognizes a difference between any "then" and now is pretty cool. I love the Jack the Dog gun. A fixed stock, triangle forearm Colt like that floats my boat when considering AR's, but my tastes run a little different in general.
My "old school" is lever action rifles and carbines, single action revolvers, and double barrel shotguns. The guns seen in John Wayne movies. (this stuff is "new school", by far, compared to @AndyinEverson 's and @CountryGent 's collections!)
The guns I use are from the next generation after that; early auto handguns and bolt action rifles. Both styles are receiving constant upgrades (some worthwhile), and are available including, or at least with compatibility for, the new, high tech accessories on the market now. These are still considered somewhat "new school", but the basic design goes back over one hundred years. @MountainBear shows rifles that are a bunch older than the rifles I use, but are functionally identical.

It's all relative.

My only concern is when some folks think that latest and greatest rifle suddenly makes anything older than 5 minutes ago , obsolete , worthless or trash talk , when they really don't have a clue.
I know that last bit of "trash talk , when they don't have clue" , makes the internet a painful place for me , at times...:D
Andy

With my old-school .308Win practical/tactical rifle I'm required in the comp to take out fifteen 9" diameter steel targets, at any range between 75 and 900m, as and when my spotter, who may not necessarily speak English, puts me on them. I then do the same for him. Between shots we have to move around, get soaked, get distracted by heavy machinery/noise or by having other things to do, like solving problems, climbing up smoke-stacks - that kind of thing, until the target pops up, somewhere out there. You are permitted two shots at each target - trouble is, that's just ten seconds apart, so your mags need to be filled all the time, just in case. It might be raining, it might be snowing, it is usually [if in Eastern Hungary] blowing a gale. The sun be coming up, or going down, depends which end of the draw you get.

Old-fashioned usually wins it, because the guys doing the shooting are usually older guys and take their time. One guy from Latvia asked me a few years back why my team won, when we seemed to be taking all the time there was. I answered, that's because we take our time, but we just take it a mite quicker.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top