JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ran across this full can of old powder yesterday, thought it is kind of neat.

20210323_160059.jpg 20210323_160131.jpg 20210323_160140.jpg 20210323_160109.jpg 20210323_160119.jpg

It was in a box of other reloading stuff in the dry basement. No idea how old it is
call alliant they may be able to date it for you. just did the same with some old imr 3031 and 4227 in steel cans. sent the tech a few pics and he dated them to what i believe was very close. records were lost with acquisition of imr by hodgdon, but the tech consulted others (probably old farts like me) and gave me his best guess. as stated above, if properly stored, you can shoot it, or, put a date on it and leave it for the grandkids.

The Hercules powder company has always been of interest to me. Growing up in a small community just south of Salt Lake City everyone was aware of the Hercules Powder Plant in the West Valley, known as "The Bacchus Works" in the community of the same name. The worlds largest open pit copper mine nearby and thousand of other smaller mines operating in Utah at the time would have used their powder. There was an an explosion at the plant in 1962 when I was seven. Not uncommon for people to have powder boxes labeled "Hercules" in their basements back then. I wish I had some of those boxes that grandma had in the basement.

Interesting read if you care...

That powder is from circa 1968. I load it all the time. I also throw the cans in the recycle bin. If it has red (powder inside) it's dead. Dump it on the lawn if so. If it smells like a hospital, envelope glue, or ether use it. Acid smell or red/tan powder no good.

There's a few "can collectors" out there so I keep them till I find someone who collects them. I can fill them with lead shot or screws or small nails too. 😁

There's a few "can collectors" out there so I keep them till I find someone who collects them. I can fill them with lead shot or screws or small nails too. 😁
Yeah Thanks. I will put them up with my old oil cans. I guess cans don't get old or collectable if no one saves them right?? 🤔. I have a bunch from that era. I specifically use the Red Dot shotgun powder to make some killer 165gr 9mm subsonic loads. A little dirty but 100% reliable - even with 1960s powder and primers. I have a bunch of older powder from the same "lot/source" but everyone snorts at it when I try and sell it.

Every so often I accumulate a box full of vintage boxes and cans, various empty powder can, primer boxes, cartridge boxes, etc.. It's usually old stuff from the '40s through the '70s. I can't bring myself to throw it away, so I accumulate it until I have a MFRB full, and sell it on ebay. Depending on what's in it, they go for anywhere from $20 to $50. I don't throw anything away anymore that's "Vintage". :)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews