JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't get it. I've managed to buy a few guns on here in the classifieds and I've been very happy with the guns and the sellers.

I want some more. I won't mention what kind because I don't want to appear to point fingers.

I just don't get the pricing on a lot of guns in the classifieds. Yes, I'll pay a bit of a premium for a FTF deal, but not a ton.

It seems that people believe someone will pay new prices for a well used gun. Holster wear, a thou or two down the pipe (means I have to buy a new mainspring) and so on, still brings a new gun asking price.

What am I missing? If I have a one year old gun with a bunch of rounds through it and cosmetic wear, I'm not asking new gun prices. I can dicker with a dealer now and beat MSRP on a brand new one.

Anyone else notice this, or have I lost the rest of my marbles? :D

It's no different than advertising a car or anything else for sale. Some people advertise the item for what they really want to get for it, but many will stick a higher price out there to give them some room to negotiate and hey if someone offers them full boat list they will take it.

I personally price anything I'm selling at what I think is a fair price based on what similar items are going for. If someone buys it great, if not, it goes back in the safe.

I see overpriced guns here, like everywhere else. Plenty of good deals to be had, as well.

I agree there are plenty of good deals, and I've bought some at fair prices.

Maybe it's just the ones I particularly want that are priced at new prices. :D

I'm not talking about hard to get guns either. I'm talking about common guns which are all over the place new. :huh:

PS I believe that the guys I've bought from will tell you I'm not looking for a steal and that I've never balked at their asking price. I'm not trying to "steal" something.

I see overpriced stuff here occasionally, but not nearly as often as at local gun shops or on gunbroker.com.

I find that most gun shops will dicker. Like car dealers, they are primed for someone to come in with a trade which they want too much for.

Gunbroker yes, but then there are usually multiple similar guns by multiple sellers and I can find a fair deal from someone. Usually.

I think that some people raise their asking prices because they are tired of the lowballs that they end up getting. The logic may be that if they raise their asking price the lowballers will just stay away leaving only the people actually interested in a reasonable price.

there are good deals and bad ones. I bought an AK74, out of state for almost new price. Did a FFL transfer as required. Now I see the same model on sale here for $110 less and it wouldn't take a transfer to buy as it's in state.

Did I get "cheated"? No, I bought it and in doing so I agreed to the terms.

Do I wish I had waited? Yes, but it was my fault for not knowing the market.

It seems that people believe someone will pay new prices for a well used gun. Holster wear, a thou or two down the pipe (means I have to buy a new mainspring) and so on, still brings a new gun asking price.

What am I missing? If I have a one year old gun with a bunch of rounds through it and cosmetic wear, I'm not asking new gun prices. I can dicker with a dealer now and beat MSRP on a brand new one.

I see it too, and like someone said it's the same with cars.

If you want the real price on a day in-day out firearm, take it to a dealer and ask what they'd sell it for, take off 20% or 25% and you're in the ballpark. These guys see things come and go all day long and have no attachment, etc.

I also think some people go onto gunbroker and look at the asking prices rather than the completed auction prices. Big difference!

Just have to let em go, there's always another gun or car.

:s0159:

Another thing is that some people think all guns are investments. They don't understand that things like glocks, xd's, and most 1911's will only go down in value (like most cars).

I find that most gun shops will dicker. Like car dealers, they are primed for someone to come in with a trade which they want too much for.

Gunbroker yes, but then there are usually multiple similar guns by multiple sellers and I can find a fair deal from someone. Usually.

That's true, but there's apparently other reasons for bad prices at gun shops. For example, I went into a shop, interested in getting a PSL rifle, and was shocked to find them priced for $1100/each, when they can be bought online for $600 or less, and other local places do seem to have them priced in the $600's. I didn't comment on that (I am pretty sure it annoys the crap out of gun store employees to hear "I can get it for much less online"). The guy at the shop freely admitted the price was awful, and explained they purchased the guns at the height of the Obama-related panic and paid way too much for them, and pretty much had no choice but to try to sell them for so much so as not to lose money. He even went so far as to say, if I wanted one, they could order a PSL in, and it would cost me around $700 in total. It seemed strange to me.

Some well spoken words in here.

When I sell an item I look for places where it sells. I find selling prices not asking prices. Then take about 15-25% off of that and hold my price firm.

Not doing research on an item is the buyers fault. I even research the milk I buy and where it's the cheapest and if it's cost effective for me to buy it at location B vs A (assuming I have things to pick up at B as well)

Buyer be ware but seller be honest.

When I sell an item I look for places where it sells. I find selling prices not asking prices. Then take about 15-25% off of that and hold my price firm.

Thank you. I am going to use this as my new rule of thumb. What about region of the country? How much do you think that affects price? Obviously you'd want to price as local as possible for items that are actually selling (as you stated) Good formula..

I don't get it. I've managed to buy a few guns on here in the classifieds and I've been very happy with the guns and the sellers.

I want some more. I won't mention what kind because I don't want to appear to point fingers.

I just don't get the pricing on a lot of guns in the classifieds. Yes, I'll pay a bit of a premium for a FTF deal, but not a ton.

It's just people trying to take advantage of others (for the most part). But then comes the other side of the coin....everything in price is on the rise. Your rent, taxes, and the food you buy (i.e. cost of living) is on the increase. Nevertheless, nobody is getting any raises to make up for this...so expect people trying to get a bigger return (or equal return) for their stuff than the actual depreciated value of it...to me, this is the very definition of inflation. To economics and forum lawyers, I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about.

This is just one sign to the tough times ahead...people say that the economy is up because people are buying more stuff....I say people are just empting out their accounts because they have no faith in their banks or dollar value anymore, so they feel it is a better investment to buy the stuff they want now (especially while it is on sale or clearance price) before we have to add more zeros on the back of our currency for it to mean squat.

Thank you. I am going to use this as my new rule of thumb. What about region of the country? How much do you think that affects price? Obviously you'd want to price as local as possible for items that are actually selling (as you stated) Good formula..

I'll look at an overall, you can find high/low prices rather easy.

Say an XD at a pawn shop for $500 (unsold and used), you see one sold on gunbroker for $450 used (unsold), or a new one at DanDeeSales for $420 that flew off the shelf.....

Local market and availability dictates price just like everything else. Supply/demand.

there are good deals and bad ones. I bought an AK74, out of state for almost new price. Did a FFL transfer as required. Now I see the same model on sale here for $110 less and it wouldn't take a transfer to buy as it's in state.

Did I get "cheated"? No, I bought it and in doing so I agreed to the terms.

Do I wish I had waited? Yes, but it was my fault for not knowing the market.

I was looking at a pistol here, he wanted $600 and incl 200 rds of ammo. Then I looked again and the price was $500, but in a PM he said I could have it for $550. Now I find the same pistol for $399 NIB at a dealer. If I wanted no paper trail I'd pay the $500, but since I'm totally legal buying it I have no problem going through a dealer and saving $100 in the process.

Hey folks, as I have said before, any item is worth exactly as much as someone else is willing to pay for it, no more, no less. If you live by a crystal spring, no one is likely to be able to sell you water at any price, but if you you're in the desert, on foot, 20 miles from the nearest oaisis, you would give your left nut for it.

Supply and demand.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR