JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If they violate the rules, they get locked. Legal/political discussions not relate to firearms are the most common occurrence of locked threads in the off topic.

9. The "Legal & Political" section is to pertain to firearms only. There shall be no legal & political discussion and/or material outside of the "Legal & Political" section.

There are many different people here with many different viewpoints on various issues. Like religion, discussing these issues here is highly likely to offend and very little good can come of it. We need to be focusing on the things that bring us together (firearms), not the things that have the potential to divide us (politics).

If there continues to be arguments and squabbling going on in the off topic section, it will be eliminated completely.

...Isn't that the point of this website, though? Plus, if it's in an off-topic forum, why can't it go off-topic? :confused:

The point of this website is;

1. Provide a family friendly online community for firearm enthusiasts of the Northwest to meet other enthusiasts, discuss various topics, share news, buy, sell, & trade, organize events, and much more.

2. Provide a resource for firearm owners to organize themselves for the purpose of protecting the second amendment and our firearm rights, as well as defeating gun-control legislation and anti-gun candidates.

3. Spread the message of safe firearm use and ownership, while promoting self defense, shooting sports, hunting, and collecting.

There is no problem with going off topic as long as it doesn't violate the rules, the only threads that ever get locked are such that there is violations.

Then how about making a Legal and Political section for non firearms stuff?

And a debate forum? So when one of those legal and political threads get derailed, the two arguing can start a thread in the debate forum. :D

Edit:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7066

I know it wasn't "Firearm political", for instance. But it was in an off-topic foum. So why lock it? (Have no ties to this thread, just noticed it being locked.)

Then how about making a Legal and Political section for non firearms stuff?

And a debate forum? So when one of those legal and political threads get derailed, the two arguing can start a thread in the debate forum. :D

The problem about having legal and political discussion unrelated to firearms is that these topics cause great controversy and heated debates, it causes a united firearms community to start arguing over separate topics, and this tears apart the community, is it worth discussing these topics if it causes users to hold grudges against each other?

Edit:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7066

I know it wasn't "Firearm political", for instance. But it was in an off-topic foum. So why lock it? (Have no ties to this thread, just noticed it being locked.)

It was most likely locked because its a direct quotation from a political group has no relation to any firearm topics.

There is a fine line to walk to realize what will open a can of worms.

So you're pre-empting a bad outcome by removing the threads?

Like banning guns to pre-empt them being used improperly!? :eek: :eek:

Edit: Preempt with a "-" just looks better to me. Don't ask.

The problem about having legal and political discussion unrelated to firearms is that these topics cause great controversy and heated debates, it causes a united firearms community to start arguing over separate topics, and this tears apart the community, is it worth discussing these topics if it causes users to hold grudges against each other?

I completely understand what you mean, but I think that as long as the debate doesn't turn into "EFF YOU!" or personal insults (Which breaks other rules) I think that political discussions in Off-Topic can be alright.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7049&highlight=blow+constitution

Like that thread. People have been going back and forth on that one for days. It started to get a little whiney for a minute, then got back on track and I've gained a lot of information from it. :confused:

the difference is that there is no need for such heated debates on a firearm forum, there are plenty of other places to discuss such things.

But I like it here better. :D

But Mayor Nickles sounded off the same way. "There's no need for guns in my city!" Because people might break rules (Laws) with them.

Are you editing our right to free speech, PhysicsGuy!?!?

Are you editing our right to free speech, PhysicsGuy!?!?

There is a difference in comparing public life to a private location, by posting on a private forum, you have no freedom of speech, you give up your rights by entering a private setting. Same thing with possessing firearms in a private place, if its against their policies, then they can remove that right from you. I'm not saying that its right or not, but I'm just saying that its the way it is, your constitutional rights do not apply in some places.

There is a difference in comparing public life to a private location, by posting on a private forum, you have no freedom of speech, you give up your rights by entering a private setting. Same thing with possessing firearms in a private place, if its against their policies, then they can remove that right from you. I'm not saying that its right or not, but I'm just saying that its the way it is, your constitutional rights do not apply in some places.

wow...

this is a place where we come to discuss our constitutional rights yet they do not apply here. I get it

So I can have my free speech here, as long as I conceal it?

∏˙¥ßˆçß˝¨¥ ®øç˚ß⁄

Mac has a button to do that, you know. :D

wow...

this is a place where we come to discuss our constitutional rights yet they do not apply here. I get it

Apparently you have little to no understand of what the constitution covers. Go walk into a store, start yelling obscenities, then see what they have to tell you about your rights. Then maybe you can have a vote on it, since this is a democracy! Oh wait, maybe you didn't realize that your right to vote is gone.... Then maybe you can pull out a firearm and see if they hold your second amendment rights. Your constitution rights aren't held in a private setting, your legal rights are still held intact though.

Apparently you have little to no understand of what the constitution covers. Go walk into a store, start yelling obscenities, then see what they have to tell you about your rights. Then maybe you can have a vote on it, since this is a democracy! Oh wait, maybe you didn't realize that your right to vote is gone.... Then maybe you can pull out a firearm and see if they hold your second amendment rights. Your constitution rights aren't held in a private setting, your legal rights are still held intact though.

It's because I'm on illicit drugs i guess... :drugs:

even though I've never tried one

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top