JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get where you're going with that. I suppose (playing the devil's advocate) one could surmise that the script could be flipped back on firearm owners by saying that since certain items did not exist back in 1791, they wouldn't be covered by the 2A and can be legally infringed upon....Way too much lawyer-ese for a chit-kicker like me to figure out, but I do think the law works in mysterious ways.

Couple things off the top of my that didn't exist in 1791:
Semi-auto firearms
Primer fired cartridges
Magazines (as mentioned before)
Laser sights/Red Dots
Suppressors
That's covered by "common use", and "military use"….. there wasn't radio, TV, microphones and speakers, the internet, SATCOM, cell phones, and there were(relatively speaking) very few printed newspapers back then either…. all unquestionably covered by the 1A.

C'mon maaaaan! What good is a cannon against F-15s and NUKES? :s0106:
The Vietcong and Taliban are still there to this day…. besides, you hit the supply line, production infrastructure, and make life a living hell for the workers that operate it all…. since we're already here and don't have to "swim over" to do it.

Last Edited:
You know what else wasn't illegal for "civilians" to own and use back then? Cannons. BIG Cannons.
jkzaot7p18u91.jpg

Conspiracy theory here but, all these recent victories could be used to get congress to act on a permanent alteration or revoking of the 2nd Amendment. Why the hell else would we be winning all of these all of a sudden?

Congress can't repeal the 2A, it takes a Constitutional amendment.
Regarding amendments...
An amendment may be proposed by a two-thirds vote of both Houses of Congress, or, if two-thirds of the States request one, by a convention called for that purpose. The amendment must then be ratified by three-fourths of the State legislatures, or three-fourths of conventions called in each State for ratification.

Does this mean it is now legal to have a gun with an obliterated serial number? The section of the law dealing with this was found to be unconstitutional as I understand it.

Does this mean it is now legal to have a gun with an obliterated serial number? The section of the law dealing with this was found to be unconstitutional as I understand it.
No... but kinda. That particualar case currently only applies to that case within that particular district, but the implications are potentially far reaching now that there is case law. However, it won't matter much until/unless it moves up into the higher courts... and won't prevent most anyone else from being charged for possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number... which is "technically" still illegal.

It simply means that there is a high likelihood that a person could beat the charge under the new standard SCOTUS laid out.... is my read on it, anyway.

Not sure I understand that. A federal law, which applies to the whole nation, was found to be unconstitutional by a federal judge, but it is only unconstitutional in his district? Seems odd. Seems to me if it's found unconstitutional then the agency should have to remove it.

Anyway, the new OR law permit mongers would have a hard time if this were legal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top