WASHINGTON (The Blaze/AP) Six months after Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot, the White House is preparing to propose some new steps on gun safety, though theyre likely to fall short of the bold measures activists would like to see. Spokesman Jay Carney said that the new steps would be made public in the near future. He didnt offer details, but people involved in talks at the Justice Department to craft the new measures said they expected to see something in the next several weeks. Whatever is proposed is not expected to involve legislation or take on major issues, like banning assault weapons, but could include executive action to strengthen the background check system or other steps. The president directed the attorney general to form working groups with key stakeholders to identify common-sense measures that would improve American safety and security while fully respecting Second Amendment rights, Carney said Thursday. That process is well under way at the Department of Justice, with stakeholders on all sides working through these complex issues, and we expect to have some more specific announcements in the near future. Anti-gun groups have been disappointed to see no action so far from President Barack Obama, who supported tough gun control measures earlier in his career but fell largely silent upon becoming president. Some activists were using the opportunity of the six-month anniversary of the Giffords shooting on Friday to speak up. The shooting rampage in Tucson, Ariz., killed six people and wounded more than a dozen others, including Giffords. Two months later, Obama wrote an opinion piece in Giffords local paper, the Arizona Daily Star, calling for sound and effective steps to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, including strengthening background checks.