JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WASHINGTON (The Blaze/AP) — Six months after Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot, the White House is preparing to propose some new steps on gun safety, though they’re likely to fall short of the bold measures activists would like to see.

Spokesman Jay Carney said that the new steps would be made public “in the near future.” He didn’t offer details, but people involved in talks at the Justice Department to craft the new measures said they expected to see something in the next several weeks. Whatever is proposed is not expected to involve legislation or take on major issues, like banning assault weapons, but could include executive action to strengthen the background check system or other steps.

“The president directed the attorney general to form working groups with key stakeholders to identify common-sense measures that would improve American safety and security while fully respecting Second Amendment rights,” Carney said Thursday. “That process is well under way at the Department of Justice, with stakeholders on all sides working through these complex issues, and we expect to have some more specific announcements in the near future.”

Anti-gun groups have been disappointed to see no action so far from President Barack Obama, who supported tough gun control measures earlier in his career but fell largely silent upon becoming president. Some activists were using the opportunity of the six-month anniversary of the Giffords shooting on Friday to speak up.

The shooting rampage in Tucson, Ariz., killed six people and wounded more than a dozen others, including Giffords. Two months later, Obama wrote an opinion piece in Giffords’ local paper, the Arizona Daily Star, calling for “sound and effective steps” to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, including strengthening background checks.

New gun safety "common-sense measures"? I get worried every time I hear the term "common-sense" coming from a Dem, especially if they are talking about guns.

Someone is trying to stir-up support from his looney base.

The laws already on the books haven't stopped violent crime. How is adding more going to make a difference? I know we haven't had the right people making the laws. But now we have Obama, he cares more than the others before him. It will work better this time, right? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Gun is dangerous in a house with Kids, Old People, Republicans ete ete so unless you give them up your Obamacare will go up 10x compounded dailey. And the liberal progressive BS goes on I can hear the template talking points now.

What if "common sense" proposals really ARE common sense and do not outlaw anything? How about requiring mental health professionals to report "likely dangerous" mental patients to the NICS may-not-buy-guns list? Couple this with a mechanism to get OFF the NICS list when mental treatment finds them well again. Is that just TOO much restriction of YOUR gun rights? All of the last four mass killers bought their guns legally in spite of all having a long history of mental treatment that diagnosed them all as potentially highly dangerous---I mean REALLY nuts.

How about making the NICS free and easy so that any anonymous private seller can check out a potential buyer's status without detailing the proposed transaction? Purely optional for both buyer and seller---do you feel restricted by that?

What about giving a "felon in possession of a firearm" a mandatory minimum twenty year sentence to make that a higher risk activity for criminals? As is, getting caught with a gun is just a cost of doing business for convicted felons, so why not make it impossibly costly for them to consider? Nothing new is outlawed; just better enforcement of existing law.

My point is that getting our panties bunched up with partisan hatred before we even learn what these "proposals" are is silly. I too do not have any confidence that the Obama Administration will get much right on guns, but they might just accidentally make some "common sense." Why don't we just wait and see what they propose before we give ourselves ulcers raging about it? Foaming at the mouth does not help when it comes time to debate.........................elsullo

What is going to be "new" in the rules, Elsullo? Isn't killing someone already against the law? Isn't it already a "bad" thing? Is a new law somehow going to make the bad guy go "oh, gosh, I can't do this, it's even MORE against the law now!"

I somehow don't think it will have any effect on crime and just put another road block in the way of fire arms owners...

We aren't enforcing the laws we have now. What good are more "I care more than you do", laws going to do. Criminals are called criminals for a reason. We can't put them in jail because we don't have enough beds We can't profile because we might offend some one. Only the law abiding will suffer.

What if "common sense" proposals really ARE common sense and do not outlaw anything? How about requiring mental health professionals to report "likely dangerous" mental patients to the NICS may-not-buy-guns list? Couple this with a mechanism to get OFF the NICS list when mental treatment finds them well again. Is that just TOO much restriction of YOUR gun rights? All of the last four mass killers bought their guns legally in spite of all having a long history of mental treatment that diagnosed them all as potentially highly dangerous---I mean REALLY nuts.

How about making the NICS free and easy so that any anonymous private seller can check out a potential buyer's status without detailing the proposed transaction? Purely optional for both buyer and seller---do you feel restricted by that?

What about giving a "felon in possession of a firearm" a mandatory minimum twenty year sentence to make that a higher risk activity for criminals? As is, getting caught with a gun is just a cost of doing business for convicted felons, so why not make it impossibly costly for them to consider? Nothing new is outlawed; just better enforcement of existing law.

My point is that getting our panties bunched up with partisan hatred before we even learn what these "proposals" are is silly. I too do not have any confidence that the Obama Administration will get much right on guns, but they might just accidentally make some "common sense." Why don't we just wait and see what they propose before we give ourselves ulcers raging about it? Foaming at the mouth does not help when it comes time to debate.........................elsullo

How do you debate tyranical regulation its not the same as writing laws through congress. Most of us did not have to wait till this scumbag prez got elected to see what he was all about and we don't need to wait from him to act to know what and how he sees thing against the constitution. I just love how the BO lovers still manifest there guilt for distroying America by still defending this dirt bag.

What if "common sense" proposals really ARE common sense and do not outlaw anything? How about requiring mental health professionals to report "likely dangerous" mental patients to the NICS may-not-buy-guns list? Couple this with a mechanism to get OFF the NICS list when mental treatment finds them well again. Is that just TOO much restriction of YOUR gun rights?

You are aware that most in the "mental health" community are hardcore anti gun types. Do you want to give people like this carte blanche to skrew people out of a chance to own a firearm or better yet to have their firearms confiscated?

Are supposed to take the word of a government appointed psychologists? If so you will all be denied. I really feel sorry for people that Obama and his admin care about the American people. He doesn't even care about his own family. But government doctors like the VA are shotty to say the least. I have to reopen my case because my so called careing doctor cancelled the rest of my appointments because I was 10 minutes late and through out the rest of my claims. If you want Obama care just join the military and you will see to notch health care at it's finest.

It is so easy for people to vote for something they never experinced but when it happens they bubblegum.......... If Obamacare happens I promise you will bubblegum and be in harms way. Just watch and see.

Elsullo:

The other thing to remember about "common sense" gun laws: The Supreme Court has stated that defending your life by owning a handgun is a FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT.

If you are willing to place the same "common sense" laws on every other FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT as firearms, then you'll have everyone understanding how we feel....

Ah, cheeze. Did I propose ANY new laws, or any restrictions on sane or sound citizens, other than stronger enforcement of existing law? Did even the Obama Administration propose any new laws or restrictions yet? Does anybody have any advance notice of WHAT they propose? Ya don't actually know anything about it, do ya, other than your paranoid speculations based upon the supposed beliefs of Obama's appointees? No, better to just rant pre-emptively and insist that dangerous mental patients should have a right to buy guns legally. And you wonder why all of us gun rights supporters are losing ground...............................elsullo

It would be nice if those who support "common sense" actually had some. Seems politicions tell us they have common sense but they are the ones that tanked the economy. Until they actually show some common sense we have to live with what the fools do between elections.

Politicions are prone to taking away our God given rights to self protection. Common sense would say anyone who makes laws against our God given constitutional guarenteed rights is a traitor to the country. What is it about "shall not infringe" is so hard to undserstand if you have common sense?

jj

It would be nice if those who support "common sense" actually had some. Seems politicions tell us they have common sense but they are the ones that tanked the economy. Until they actually show some common sense we have to live with what the fools do between elections.

Politicions are prone to taking away our God given rights to self protection. Common sense would say anyone who makes laws against our God given constitutional guarenteed rights is a traitor to the country. What is it about "shall not infringe" is so hard to undserstand if you have common sense?

jj

Agreed. If commons sense were so common, more people would have it.

Dangerous mental patients and convicted felons SHOULD have their gun rights infringed, and laws have been made by elected politicians to effect that in order to protect citizens from madmen because it IS simply common sense. Since it is CONSTITUTIONAL LAW it is not treason, is it? Restricting madmen from guns is in fact SELF PROTECTION for the rest of us, and that is our natural right!..............................elsullo

jj

If stronger or more thorough application of existing law, including the addition of some good common sense ideas helps to keep guns out of the hands of a Loughner, Cho, or Hasan then I am fine with it. I'm with elsullo, until we know specifics there is no point in throwing pre-emptive panty wadding temper tantrums.

In all seriousness I would like someone to take a stab at why strengthening of background checks to prevent the Loughner's and their ilk getting their hands on guns is a bad thing.

Mental health is a matter of opinion subject to financial influence, personal world view and human error. I don't believe that simply not passing a background check would have stopped any of the people listed from committing their crimes. Watch CL for a day and you will see several opportunities to buy guns some even advertising 'no background check'.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top