Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NYC Gun Charges Dropped. Now I Can Speak Out - MARK MECKLER

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by civilian75, Jan 18, 2012.

1. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

FYI - from "Across the Fence with Mark Meckler

NYC Gun Charges Dropped. Now I Can Speak Out. | Across the Fence with Mark Meckler

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Maybe it is only a 700 or 800 dollar gun. but the principle of illegal keeping of your legally owned firearm is worth fighting for.

3. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Yep, this kind of incident needs to stop...and soon.

ATCclears, jdub75, EMP9596 and 3 others like this.
  4. wichaka

If everything that Meckler states is correct, and there's no reason to doubt it...this is what's wrong with LE and America as we are living it today.

What's one of Murphy's laws.....no good deed goes unpunished.

5. noyolk

noyolk pdx Member

Great reason NOT to ever travel to NYC, and I will make sure all my air travel does not have a plane change anywhere near NYC.

trainsktg, Redcap, sheepdip and 3 others like this.
  6. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

Good reason not to do business with any business that is in NYC.

I do not agree with Meckler's statement that "Every law enforcement officer I dealt with through the process was polite and professional. They are not to blame for NYC’s unconstitutional or tyrannical behavior.".
    If they are enforcing an unconstitutional law then they are to blame. The have the duty to the public first. What if the legislature passed a law that police do not need search warrants to search your house and if you refuse to let them in, they can set your house on fire?? I know it is a ridiculous scenario, but wouldn't we expect the police to refuse to carry out such laws?

7. wichaka

As far as I have researched, in talking with a lot of LEO's in other states...most have discretion in the action they take.

It appears Meckler followed the requirements...then still got slammed??? :huh:

8. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

He followed Federal requirements, disclosing local violation in the process. Got slammed for ignorance.

Makes me wonder though, since he got arrested when leaving NYC with a weapon without hurting anybody, how could they have added "intent to harm" there ? Logic kind of fails...

9. oa98pistol512

oa98pistol512 salem area Member

Stealing or destroying property that is anothers that is over $500 is a felony...The people responsible should be brought up on charges just like the average citizen.

Grunwald, civilian75, Redcap and 3 others like this.
  10. wichaka

Depends on the language of the law...could be when that particular law is violated, its just implied.

Not saying its right, but there are some law written that way.

11. fd15k

Perhaps that's why they dropped the charges then, since in order to charge a person with such violation there had to be evidence of intent.

12. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

"(Note: Every law enforcement officer I dealt with through the process was polite and professional. They are not to blame for NYC’s unconstitutional or tyrannical behavior. From my experience, they seem to be good people, just doing a difficult job.) "

And that proves he has learned nothing from this incident.

Redcap, Grunwald, Gunner3456 and 3 others like this.
  13. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

Jeez. Know the local laws.

14. HandSolo

HandSolo hillsboro New Member

tea party patriots huh... looks like he wanted to get arrested.

15. fd15k

He gave an interview a few days ago, and stated it wasn't done on purpose.

16. pinecenega

pinecenega oregon coast New Member

I wonder why, when something like this happens, the vicim doesn't go to the ACLU. I know they defend a lot of silly cases, but their intent is to protect civil liberty.

MSgt Don

17. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Not exactly down ACLU aisle.

18. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

But, since gun ownership is a private right, protected by The Constitution then the ACLU should follow through and fight for him. After all, that's what the ACLU claims they do!!

19. fd15k

For ACLU to intervene there has to be a violation of some rights. The only right in this situation possibly being violated is confiscation of a firearm without a compensation. But that's too small of a fish for anybody to fry.

20. fd15k

So far all we know is outright ban on handguns is unconstitutional, as well as the requirement to keep firearms inoperable. Both DC and Chicago have registration requirements after their bans got overturned. In fact Chicago is still being sued over shooting range ban (they require training for gun ownership), but nothing in terms of registration at the moment. Bottom line - no 2A violation in this case.