JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quality of life in Oregon has gone down to the point that people will move out but you still have the kali folkes moving in making it worse. If you want to shoot you better join a club and hope it's in a good place the libs can't bit ch and get it shut down.

Is there any place today that has a better quality of life than 40 years ago? As the population goes up in this country the quality goes down imho.

Is there any place today that has a better quality of life than 40 years ago? As the population goes up in this country the quality goes down imho.

It's just like imigration, you need people to assimilate into the culture not turn it to crap. It's not the number of people here but the quality of the individual. Take a person ruined by kali and put them up here with good people they don't rise up, they drag us down.

It's just like immigration, you need people to assimilate into the culture not turn it to crap. It's not the number of people here but the quality of the individual. Take a person ruined by kali and put them up here with good people they don't rise up, they drag us down.
I completely agree with this and have often referenced same when discussing it with others. While population increases DO affect lifestyle it is the actions of those who move into an area that can really 'make or break' it. Most of the time it is the actions of the wealthy that ruin an area.

I remember back in the day when Awbry Butte in Bend was nearly house free - heck we used to cross country ski to the top in the winter. Now it is literally the 'Bel Air' of Bend with 4-5 K sq. ft. houses common. I believe most of the problem is with the people from big city areas. They move up here thinking they want the 'lifestyle' but for some reason still feel the need to build mansions on top of one another. Then they want to 'urbanize' the area by starting esoteric downtown businesses that appeal only to other urban types and given enough time the area no longer retains any semblance of it's former 'self'.

Such has been the case with Bend. The problem is some say this is 'progress' IE modernizing small areas, bringing in people, businesses etc. But in Bend this so called 'progress' has NOT been equally beneficial for all. Less than 1% vacancy rates for housing, prices for nearly everything abnormally high and virtually no working middle class in Bend anymore with a large gap between the haves and have nots. I have watched Bend go from a relatively conservative small working class mill and production community with a nice destination appeal with Mt. Bachelor and surrounding outdoor areas to the nearly incomprehensible place it is today.

I appreciate the constructive advice guys and gals. I will definitely check out all of the avenues that you have suggested.

Don't get me wrong, I love Oregon, and I'm not trying to bring the Cali lifestyle to Oregon. I'm also not from California, I just lived there, I'm from Oklahoma.

I am a responsible gun owner and avid shooter. I do my best to turn people onto firearm activities and I can actually say I've gotten a few to either increase their activity or to buy their first firearm. Everyone counts. Now I just need to get more politically involved. I think Mike at MK Tactical can help with that.

Thanks,
Ryan

There are plenty of good people that have moved here like it sounds like you are. Heck it's been happening since the Oregon Trail. So welcome - glad you brought your guns too to keep the ownership and sport well represented. thumb.gif
I too am from out of state. First came here in 1976 from St. Louis and became a land owner & resident a few years later. Back when we were fighting LCDC. thumbsdown.gif
So besides the trash that does move in along with some good people/families, the real angst you're reading on this thread is because we just don't like people outside our region (that includes Salem/Portlanders for us in S OR) telling us what we can and cannot do with our land or how to live our lives.
The powers that be are not really so libertarian as they claim - they are leftanista's at their core and want to take away liberty and freedom to force their (false) utopia on the entire citizenry. Of course, how can it be utopia if your every move is controlled by a small group of elite's??

Is thete any place today that

Pretty clesr that there were alot of oregonians willing to take advantage if californians with large bank rolls. We disagree. There was a lot of greed involved.
I cannot speak for Oregon, but I saw the exact same thing happen when the Chinese started buying up the San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles county.

It started in the late 70s at the tail end of "white flight". Asian immigrants came over with suit cases full of American dollars, CASH. And bought up everything insight regardless of the cost.

One of the reasons that i joined the Navy was that I wanted to see the Orient. Little did I know that Hong Kong and Taiwan were going to park themselves right smack in the heart of southern California. Throughout the San Gabriel Valley, all you see is Chinese and Korean writing on street signs. I have no problem with diversity, but in those towns and their establishments, occidentals need not apply, and this attitude is very strongly projected in the way that it was to blacks during the days of segregation... unless you have a fat wallet, that is.

This influx is what brought on the over crowding, the insane traffic, and the urban development of what used to be open country all the way to the Arizona border, but no longer.

And the ones who sold California down the river are likely many of the ones who bought their way into Oregon with those same imported American dollars that bought out American industrial and manufacturing jobs that for some reason, everyone blames the Mexicans for "taking". How do you take a job that is no longer their?

If you'd seen what I saw during that time, you wouldn't be worried about the Mexico border one bit.

This is one ex Californian who remembers when we had it all; gun rights, places to shoot and hunt, along with open freeways that moved along at 70+ for the majority of the day instead of 15MPH (-) for the better part of the day.

All in all, I do believe that greed was indeed a factor. White conservatives should have held there ground instead of fleeing the way that they did (and I'm of very diversely mixed origins). In the Navy in which this sailor served, we call that abandoning ship.

Hell, at least I stayed and shot and camped as long as I could stand it; long enough to watch her burn and eventually go under. Then I jumped ship :rolleyes: and brought my unregistered guns with me.

I have a friend who moved from California (lived there all her life) to Wyoming. First thing she did when she got her new license plates was to shoot holes in the old California plates and hang them on her fence for all to see. She also invariably open carries when she goes into town, and she teaches handgun classes too.

Sheesh guys, just because he mentions Burbank Rifle Club, is no reason to pile on.

Getting back to the OP, I too am interested in long range shooting but have been frustrated. With this rule
"(b) No person shall shoot across or along any road or trail."
it is even worse, because how far can you go in any direction in western Oregon without crossing a logging road? I can see the point but in a clearcut you will not be accidentally shooting anybody.

1911Ryan maybe we can get together sometime and scout out the alternatives; send me a PM if you want. I'm guessing the forest lands just east of Mt Hood will be our best bet. I used to hunt there and there were some good open areas and cross-canyon shots.

Getting back to the OP, I too am interested in long range shooting but have been frustrated. With this rule
"(b) No person shall shoot across or along any road or trail."
it is even worse, because how far can you go in any direction in western Oregon without crossing a logging road? I can see the point but in a clearcut you will not be accidentally shooting anybody.
its my understanding the law only covers roads that are open to drive on. I could be wrong, but they are closing a lot of tertiary (dead end) logging roads these days for habitat improvement and/or lack of funds. Seems to me if they arent going to maintain it, its no longer a road... ?

Hop across the Columbia river from Clatskanie on Ocean Beach Hwy from Longview towards the coast just before you get to Stella. Head up Germany creek 10 miles or so. Lots of wide open clear cut. No pesky hikers or backpackers. Its ugly logging country. Going to be lots of snow this time of year. You know this is winter right?

Last Edited:
1911Ryan maybe we can get together sometime and scout out the alternatives; send me a PM if you want. I'm guessing the forest lands just east of Mt Hood will be our best bet. I used to hunt there and there were some good open areas and cross-canyon shots.

Is there water in that canyon?

CFR 36 Sec. 261.10 The following are prohibited:

(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a Forest road or a body of water adjacent thereto...

Generally safe long distance shooting is a challenge on western Oregon public lands. To be safe, you would need to fence off the entire downrange area. And at 1000 yards the potential downrange area is large.

Remember there are hikers, mushroom pickers, hunters, geocachers, etc everywhere on west-side public lands, even places which seem very remote.

If averse to ranges, talk to private land owners near you. Likely someone will let you set up a range if you bring the bulldozer. ;-)

You should go to the Yacult Burn clean up near Vancouver on the 27th. There is a thread on the forum about it. You get to meet people which is great. BUT when you drive up there, there are several places where the road follows a contour line around one spur of the mountain and then around the next like a giant hairpin turn where you see all the parts of the turn. From those spots, you can set up below the road on one side of one road to shoot, then set the targets below the turn back on the other side of the valley and have a safe long distance shooting spot across the valley. The targets are below the road, you are below the road so you aren't shooting across any roads and the area is clear cut so you can see hikers, bikers and cars coming for a long ways on the target side of the valley.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top