JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently moved to the Forest Grove area west of Portland. I have wanted to move to Oregon for a long time as my job had me living in Los Angeles, CA. I wanted the freedom that Oregon had to offer, both in firearm law and open country. I got one of those, the other not so much.

I moved here in February of 2015 and have been searching for suitable places to shoot, within a sane driving distance, with up to 1000 yards range. I thought with all the clear cut areas it would be a cinch to find a suitable spot and I wouldn't have to compete with trash leaving and dangerous idiots. What I have found is that most of the clear cut land is private property, I.E. John Smith or a lumber company owns it and doesn't want us washing machine killers and fire starters on their property. The other clear cut land is in small patches in the state forest and on BLM land. These clear cuts tend to be smaller and only located on the tops of hills, rendering them useless as a shooting range. I have found one semi suitable place to shoot in the Tillamook Sate Forest, Wolf Creek, but it's basically on top of a hill and there is no way to place targets at distance. The people that shoot there are shooting at stumps and rocks.

The other option was to find a club or, last choice, a public shooting range. From my research, the only range with 1000 yard capability is Douglas Ridge. The bad thing is that in their policy only opens the 1000 yard range on Thursday mornings. This would be fine if I were retired, but I'm not. I have to go to work everyday, just like everyone else.

The frustrating thing is that I left the pinnacle of a shooting range down in California. Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club had 1000 yards with pits at 2,3 and 600 yards. They also had steel targets at various distances down the range. A road that ran down the middle of the range made it very convenient to move and check targets with ease.

So, what I got when I moved was more freedom concerning firearms and no place to shoot them!

I'm pleading to the community to help with this issue. Someone please tell me where I can safely shoot up to 1000 yards with the ability to drive to my targets.

The other option is to open a private shooting club by leasing land from one of the government agencies, just like Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club in SoCal. If anyone has any idea how to start this venture, please contact me.

Thanks for your time and safe shooting,
Ryan

1000 yards has always been a hard one to find in the Portland area. You already named the one for sure place I know about.

Perhaps others in your area will chime in with locations.

Oregon is just a suburb of kali now with all the kali people living here. You want freedom you better find another state.

This comment makes me very very sad. While my trust in the Oregonian spirit is damaged I still feel we have the ability to correct some of the poor choices our elected representatives have made in recent years. Of course, this is off-topic of this thread.

Drive on the other side of Mt. Hood. Plenty of places there that are open and flat.

Do you have any specifics? Who owns the land you're referring to? I want to make sure everything is legal. The last thing I want is to get busted for trespassing with firearms!

Thanks for the info though.

So, what I got when I moved was more freedom concerning firearms and no place to shoot them!
No disrespect intended 1911 but just because it's 'Oregon' with more 'freedom concerning firearms' does not necessarily translate into it being a 'cinch' to find what you are looking for. To say "There is no place to shoot them" is incorrect - there are plenty of places to shoot - heck I shoot five minutes from my house (not a 1000 yard situation) but I can find that fairly quickly if I needed to. Regardless my point is your statement 'The frustrating thing is that I left the pinnacle of a shooting range down in California.' suggests to me you are accustomed to the comfort and accessibility of the 'Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club' and in an odd way are disappointed that it wasn't right out your front door. Well reality is you are not in Burbank anymore and it may take a little 'scouting' to find what you are looking for - and when you do you may have to clear some area, do something for target stands and a bench, stumble over logs and rocks, deal with the elements etc. like many of us have been doing for a long time. But please don't 'recreate' something
just like Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club in SoCal.
Californians have been bringing up and recreating 'SoCal' up here for 35 years - and we really don't need any more of it.

Yep. Thanks to the collection of Willamette Valley rats feeding on themselves while they tell the rest of the State how to live our lives. Been putting up with their crap for over 3 decades.

:D lived here all my life, years ago the progressives called us conservatives a bunch of mossbacks for not wanting to turn the state liberal. Now they have turned it into a commie state in which elections are done by mail in ballots that who knows where they came from. So today they give you gun registration and tomorrow they steal your guns...o_O

I am always amazed by those that think ther vote as individual is more important than another individuals vote because of where they live. The population as a rule makes the laws by having a larger number of votes. The majority of individuals live in the valley. That is where the majority of laws come from and should. One vote for each person as it should be. I no longer live in Portland so though I can understand the sentiment facts are facts.

Oregon is just a suburb of kali now with all the kali people living here. You want freedom you better find another state.

Yes, tell all the californicating liberals that moved here and screwed up Oregon to go back home. Then maybe there would be places left to shoot. Otherwise it just gets worse every year.

I am always amazed by those that think ther vote as individual is more important than another individuals vote because of where they live. The population as a rule makes the laws by having a larger number of votes. The majority of individuals live in the valley. That is where the majority of laws come from and should. One vote for each person as it should be. I no longer live in Portland so though I can understand the sentiment facts are facts.

It would be better if the big cities set up laws for the cities to live by and let the rest of the state remain free. The system doesn't work that way but it should.

Yes, tell all the californicating liberals that moved here and screwed up Oregon to go back home. Then maybe there would be places left to shoot. Otherwise it just gets worse every year.

If you could "tell" those kali liberals anything then we wouldn't have sb941.

Yes, tell all the californicating liberals that moved here and screwed up Oregon to go back home.
Yea like I mentioned earlier not only did/do Kalifornians bring and/or recreate their lifestyle and amenities they left behind but it seems they also want to impart their liberal attitudes and especially the LAWS they left behind also.

Yea like I mentioned earlier not only did/do Kalifornians bring and/or recreate their lifestyle and amenities they left behind but it seems they also want to impart their liberal attitudes and especially the LAWS they left behind also.

And they still are allowed to breed.............

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top