JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At last week's USPSA match, a squad mate and fellow "experienced" person shared my struggle of getting a sight picture with progressive lenses. He told me he had even had a pair of specs made with the near distance on the top. Finally, in frustration he started using regular non-corrected eye protection and found he sighted better as it forced him to concentrate on the front sight as targets were a blob. I am very myopic and technically blind in my right eye but okay in my left which is why I shoot cross-dominant. Today during my weekly practice at the range, I pulled out the generic eye protection I keep in my range bag for guests and it really worked. I'm considering trying it at the competition next week in Albany. Am I missing a downside? The smallest targets I've come across are the 4 inch metal squares and I'm confident I could make this out. On paper just aim me for the middle and avoid no-shoots. Right?

If you are near sighted and middle aged, your near and midrange vision will be much better without your correction on.

I am kind of in the same boat. I am cross dominant and I can't see the sights without help. I wear a contact in my left
eye set for the distance of the sights and I shoot with my right eye closed. I can see the sights great, and although the
targets are blurry, I can still see them well enough to shoot them.
Let us know how it goes!

This is probably going to be something that is very different for each. I have been nearsighted all my life. Long ago had to go to bifocals. When I shot I would wear non bifocals if I remembered to grab a pair, or wear contacts. Years ago I tried a pair of progressives and they for some reason work great for me. Not really sure why and it most likely will not be something that works for all.

Everybody is different. When I was a beginner at being far-sighted, I could forego any correction. Then, as my far-sightedness progressed, there became a time that I had to wear correction, or not use the sights. Add to that, deteriorating distance vision and cataracts, and I just plain can't shoot at all without glasses of some kind. Then ya gotta decide, what's more important? Seeing the target or seeing the sights? I wear tri-focals now, and am very impaired without them at any distance. Tri-focals are an arse-pain when shooting, but I've learned to use them. There is an alternative that still works for me. Dollar-store reading glasses, the lowest correction, allow me to utilize the sights and still sort-of see the target.

WAYNO.

Progressive bifocals don't have one fixed power. The power is different on the outside edge than in the middle. That's what makes them "progressive". The Rx progresses (changes) as you look through different places in the lens. Makes it difficult to find the sweet spot where the Rx is just right to focus on the front sight of a firearm. I would suggest using fixed power bifocal, instead of the progressive.

Dollar store lenses for me. I have always been near-sighted but developed Diabetic Macular Edema in my right eye several years ago. When shooting IDPA, I had to close my right eye and sight with my left. Front sight has always been fuzzy and target too. One day I tried using dollar store reading glasses and it was a revelation!!! Clear sights even with my right eye!!!!!! Wow! Fuzzy target but that is the way it is supposed to be when you focus on the front sight.

Now I have had cataract surgery in both eyes and am very farsighted. Haven't shot yet... the snow level has dominated the range which is up in the mountains. IDPA shoot for March has been cancelled. Will try to get out before the April shoot... don't want to be surprised with the eye change for sighting.

Edited: some days I just don't know what I am saying. Coffeee doesn't seem to help. Sigh.

Last Edited:
Having had LASIK performed on my formerly 20/400 (correctable) near-sighted vision close to 20 years ago and being firmly ensconced in middle-agedness myself (for some time) with (currently) 20/20 in my right/dominate eye (and just recently found out) I'm 20/20-25 (just between the two) in my left/non-dominant eye, I have (some time ago) taken to wearing ANSI rated polycarbonate wrap-around style safety glasses with x2 cheaters built into the bottoms while at work which has solved my close-up work "fuzzy-focus" issues. Wearing them for 8-12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week has made them "second nature" and allows me to "operate" up close more comfortably, and shoot at distance as usual.

Thanks for the responses. Like you all point out, correction is different for everyone. The reason I'm a bit excited is my particular eye sign means that without correction, the front sight is the ONLY thing in clear focus. According to my training, this would be ideal. While far targets might be a blob, I should be able to make out the shape enough to put the front sight in the middle. I'm trying to think of other issues where clear far vision would be nessesary in a course of fire. I could change into my progressives for general stage truffle like taping targets and reading stage instructions.

Dollar-store reading glasses, the lowest correction, allow me to utilize the sights and still sort-of see the target.

WAYNO.[/QUOTE]

Try using stick on magnifying lenses ( choice of power) That way you can have a clear sight and a clear target. Best part is you can have the choice of where you have the magnified lens at.

Thanks for the responses. Like you all point out, correction is different for everyone. The reason I'm a bit excited is my particular eye sign means that without correction, the front sight is the ONLY thing in clear focus. According to my training, this would be ideal. While far targets might be a blob, I should be able to make out the shape enough to put the front sight in the middle. I'm trying to think of other issues where clear far vision would be nessesary in a course of fire. I could change into my progressives for general stage truffle like taping targets and reading stage instructions.
Seems like if you can see your sights without correction, you should be able to read stage instructions and tape targets without correction too.

Dollar-store reading glasses, the lowest correction, allow me to utilize the sights and still sort-of see the target.

WAYNO.

Try using stick on magnifying lenses ( choice of power) That way you can have a clear sight and a clear target. Best part is you can have the choice of where you have the magnified lens at.[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent idea! In fact, when I've looked into contacts, and/or corrective surgery, the options offered to me in both cases is have one eye corrected for distance, and one eye corrected for reading. Seems weird, and I turned them down, but apparently it's quite common.

WAYNO.

I'm trying to think of other issues where clear far vision would be nessesary in a course of fire.

Not that I am aware of for normal USPSA. If you were to shoot 3-gun, you would use a 1-4x or 1-6x rifle scope. Red dot would be out unless shooting good sized targets at distance. Shotgun with open sights or red dot should be ok for 3gun.

Last Edited:
I've had progressives for 2 years now, and it literally took me 1 year to get comfortable with them and use them well. I did not get the "digital" version, so my eye axis has to be spot on when looking, and that's what took a year to figure out.

I recently bought new driving glasses and LOVE being able to see the target and front sight clearly. Woo hoo!

Asked my buddy how he consistently hits a 18x30 AR500 body target at 600 yards with iron sights, he calmly said, "you learn to read the shadows. With practice you get a feel for it."

Asked my buddy how he consistently hits a 18x30 AR500 body target at 600 yards with iron sights, he calmly said, "you learn to read the shadows. With practice you get a feel for it."

???? I'd like to know more about reading the shadows. I'm not a long distance shooter, just curious.

???? I'd like to know more about reading the shadows. I'm not a long distance shooter, just curious.
I've begged him to teach me and he takes me fishing instead. He scanned in his copy of the Marine Sniper Manual from 1980 and sent it to me, with the pithy advice, "read this." Motherfu... LOL.
The physics of it I completely understand. In practice, I have a long way to go. I haven't tried it yet, but have an idea for learning to read the shadows (the blurred image). Go to dollar tree, get one of those battery powered LED string lights, and put one in the bull of your target. Then, in the blur, the center of the bright image is your zero. Learn to see how/where it sits in the image. As you shoot it out, move another one into the target.... You could do the same with old fiber optic cable and a red or green laser. I have thousands of feet of the stuff.

It probably won't work for every prescription, and mine are admittedly monofocal, but when I mentioned to my optometrist that I shoot she suggested polycarbonate lenses so I'd have my safety-glasses right there and ready. No side shields, admittedly, but for frontal impact I'm good-to-go...

I wear progressives during the day. Shooting, I do have a pair of prescription lenses, set for my distance vision. I have a small bi-focal area at the very bottom that allows me to look at items close up, say looking at detail on my gun, a manual, etc. In most cases, these glasses work well. In some cases, such as shooting prone, I can have a difficult time getting my glasses to line up with my sights properly - in fact, I sometimes find myself looking over my glasses when wearing them in the normal position. It's not always that way, just in some cases. Either way, I find I can function without them, but I can do a bit better when I do wear them.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top