JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am letting my C&R expire this year. I will be sending in the renewal paper; marking that I am not renewing.
Do I have to send them anything else? I don't think that I am required to send in my bound book.

I never told them anything...just let it lapse.

But then again, I'm a bit of a rebel. I do have my bound book in a safe spot just in cas Uncle Sugar wants a peek.

Yes. SB 941 makes it a lot less useful now.

Just got my C&R. Haven't read through the included literature yet (nor have a purchased a firearm with the license), but I had previously assumed I could buy a C&R eligible firearm from any source with no dealer transfer.
I'm assuming that is obviously not the case... Judging by your comment.

Just got my C&R. Haven't read through the included literature yet (nor have a purchased a firearm with the license), but I had previously assumed I could buy a C&R eligible firearm from any source with no dealer transfer.
I'm assuming that is obviously not the case... Judging by your comment.

Does sb941 prevent me from buying online? Do I still have to do the background check at gun stores?

SB941 requires background checks for all gun sales/transfers in Oregon. No exemption was made for CHL holders or C&R holders. Doesn't matter if you buy in Oregon or if you buy online. One of our members pushed and pushed and pushed for clarification on this from the folks in Salem and the State Police - they both confirmed - even with a C&R, you are still required, by Oregon law, to have a BGC performed - which makes your C&R, in Oregon, almost worthless. I got my C&R a few months before SB941 became law, it appears it was a waste of time and money.

If you read the info on the C&R, it clearly states that the Federal license does not trump state or local laws, where those laws are more restrictive. All that means that Oregon can sh!t on you and your C&R and there's nothing you can do about it - unless you plan not to comply with SB941 - but if you do that with the C&R, you're creating a paper trail via your bound book, so keep that in mind.

I think the only reason to have it now is to get some discounts at some online dealers.

As a result of I 594 we have the same exact problem with C&R in Washington. Read the rules very carefully with regard to C&R bound books. If there is no paper there is no trail. The way I read it C&R is NOT required to follow the same rules as dealer with regard to the book.

~Whitney

Read the rules very carefully with regard to C&R bound books. If there is no paper there is no trail. The way I read it C&R is NOT required to follow the same rules as dealer with regard to the book.

This is addressed in 18 U.S. Code § 923. Relevant section reproduced below.

(2) Each licensed collector shall maintain in a bound volume the nature of which the Attorney General may by regulations prescribe, records of the receipt, sale, or other disposition of firearms. Such records shall include the name and address of any person to whom the collector sells or otherwise disposes of a firearm. Such collector shall not be required to submit to the Attorney General reports and information with respect to such records and the contents thereof, except as expressly required by this section.​

The Country Gent is indeed correct.
I should have qualified my comment, my apologies for the confusion.

Q. Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition and disposition records to ATF if they discontinue their collecting activity?

A. No. Licensed collectors are not required to submit their records to ATF upon discontinuance of their collecting activity.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4); 27 CFR 478.127]

Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition and disposition records to ATF if they discontinue their collecting activity? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

and ...

27 CFR 478.127 - Discontinuance of business.
27 CFR 478.127 - Discontinuance of business.

~Whitney

SB941 is the reason that I am not renewing. I hope that I can keep my discount at Brownells. I didn't use my C&R after the first 3 year term. I kept renewing because it was cheap and I might use it; but never did. The money I saved at Brownells by having a dealer discount more than paid for the license.

Well... That absolutely blows. Excuse my language...
Wish I would have realized this before getting the license. Not that it was costly or overly time consuming... Still.

I occasionally travel to other states and sometimes I see a gun I want. Go ahead and tell me I can't buy a gun with my C&R license in a state that is not governed by the rules of Washington ( Or Oregon ) . You will be wrong.

Brownells never takes you off their books as a FFL holder BTW.

Every time someone's C&R FFL expires and is not renewed, I hope they write their Oregon state rep and senator. If anything to tell them that you were negativity affected, you gave up a license scheme that actually had more rules and checks than SB941, and you vote.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top