JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How were the lanes looking overall?

I'm curious if it's been a while and we should organize a small cleanup?

I only had a glimpse of lanes one through three on my way up and back again. One and Two looked fine, both three and four had a fair amount of crap, but I've seen worst, mostly an epic amount of brass up on four. I left at about the same time as the anarchists who helped me police out a good amount and the younger group stayed, I'm guessing they were planning on making a day of it. One of them asked if I had any extra garbage bags, and I left him three of the large bags from the Welches cleanup. Hopefully they actually used them. While I was waiting and a few times while I was shooting I heard tannerite explosions coming from lane three I believe. Could be wrong on the location, but not on the tannerite. Hopefully nobody got hurt. I think lane three and four could probably use a clean up.

I only had a glimpse of lanes one through three on my way up and back again. One and Two looked fine, both three and four had a fair amount of crap, but I've seen worst, mostly an epic amount of brass up on four. I left at about the same time as the anarchists who helped me police out a good amount and the younger group stayed, I'm guessing they were planning on making a day of it. One of them asked if I had any extra garbage bags, and I left him three of the large bags from the Welches cleanup. Hopefully they actually used them. While I was waiting and a few times while I was shooting I heard tannerite explosions coming from lane three I believe. Could be wrong on the location, but not on the tannerite. Hopefully nobody got hurt. I think lane three and four could probably use a clean up.
Thanks for the report!

The 14th is clear. Or the 15th.

We should make it happen.

I'll reach out to ODF on Monday and get things organized.

Let's shoot, pun intended, for next Saturday.

I heard tannerite explosions coming from lane three I believe. Could be wrong on the location, but not on the tannerite. Hopefully nobody got hurt. I think lane three and four could probably use a clean up.

I was sharing lane 3 around that time. Didn't see any tannerite, but definitely saw the "anarchists" at the turnaround. I'd like to think it was my 8" .308 you were hearing :cool:, it can get pretty loud. Sadly I didn't get to shoot it much on the 4th as I was getting light strikes every few rounds. Took her home, cleaned it for the first time (new gun and only ~120 rounds have been through it, but jeez was it filthy, may need to limit how much steel case ammo I feed this girl) and got her back to the woods this afternoon. She ran like a champ!

Also shout out to Ivan from the 4th, super friendly guy and insisted that me and my group shoot some of his GORGEOUS lever guns and revolvers.

pew.png

Last Edited:
I was sharing lane 3 around that time. Didn't see any tannerite, but definitely saw the "anarchists" at the turnaround. I'd like to think it was my 8" .308 you were hearing :cool:, it can get pretty loud. Sadly I didn't get to shoot it much on the 4th as I was getting light strikes every few rounds. Took her home, cleaned it for the first time (new gun and only ~120 rounds have been through it, but jeez was it filthy, may need to limit how much steel case ammo I feed this girl) and got her back to the woods this afternoon. She ran like a champ!

Also shout out to Ivan from the 4th, super friendly guy and insisted that me and my group shoot some of his GORGEOUS lever guns and revolvers.

View attachment 476327
A couple things I love about this pic... The shopped face! Perfect! The fire extinguisher! And it's on display for all to see! Nice! (Add a gallon or two of water and a shovel to be completely legal, and ready, and you got it!).

Pretty impressive flame you got going there! Arrow Head shaped.

Question for you all...

Say we have the berms something like this (example pic below): It's 1/4"-10 ballistics gravel to absorb and retain bullets within the berm. The 1/4"-10 holds it's vertical slope very well and is small enough to prevent ricochets. We plan to raise the 1/4"-10 gravel 2-3 feel above the block on the back, sides and face, however, I'm concerned that it may end up revealing the concrete face of the blocks, if it gets worn down in front over time and from climbing on it (we should not be climbing/walking onto the berms, but some people do). We are planning the berms to be a total of 8-9 feet high with the blocks at 6 feet high under the gravel. This horseshoe shape will make for easy front loader scoop out for cleanup when we have to remove the gravel to cleaning out the lead.

How would you recommend to face the concrete blocks? We can't have ricochets from striking a flat concrete surface, so, we'd like to face those with something that would stand up and absorb the hits. Or, do you think 2 feet deep of 1/4"-10 gravel will hold it's position and adequately cover the face for a long period of time?

The concrete Jumbo Blocks are 2'x2'x6' or x3'. We could have a straight up face or tier them back (as seen in the pic above). Either way, we need to face them with something. Railroad ties are out, with ODF, because of the chemical treatments they contain. It's possible to use Gabion Baskets with a tight wire web to hold small gravel and form them in a wedge shape so bullets are deflected into the berm?
View attachment 470897
You don't have to be a wizard range designer, just your thoughts on how to face these blocks.

Thanks,

Bill

HESCO barriers would work, and depending on their cost, they could replace the concrete all together.
upload_2018-7-7_21-34-24.jpeg

HESCO barriers would work, and depending on their cost, they could replace the concrete all together.
View attachment 476349
Pretty impressive! Looks like a Gabion basket with a jacket and filled with any earth material you want. I'll take a closer look.

My main concern, with the Gabion basket, is the wire support system and how it will hold up to bullets hitting the wire. I suspect they would break down in short order and possibly even create ricochet events.

I google all of these suggestions and try to relate them to their long term sustainability of bullet holes, material leakage, safety features and replacement costs. I really appreciate all the suggestions!

We're getting closer to starting the improvement work. ODF engineers should be reporting any day now and we should have a much better idea of the finer details and a completed scope of the project. Will make a final decision of the berm supports soon.

Thanks All!

Bill

A couple things I love about this pic... The shopped face! Perfect! The fire extinguisher! And it's on display for all to see! Nice! (Add a gallon or two of water and a shovel to be completely legal, and ready, and you got it!).

Pretty impressive flame you got going there! Arrow Head shaped.

Spade is to my left out of frame, water is in my car maybe 25ft away.
I've lived here a little shy of two years, and I've noticed the summers can get pretty dry. I don't want to take any chances when my gun is spitting fireballs like that.

Spade is to my left out of frame, water is in my car maybe 25ft away.
I've lived here a little shy of two years, and I've noticed the summers can get pretty dry. I don't want to take any chances when my gun is spitting fireballs like that.
Good show. That's how to do it right and encourage others to follow suite. Thanks man!

Cosimel, pretty sure I saw ya out there at Lane 4 and you came over to me and my buddies standing at the back of my rig and let us know you were waiting. I saw the guys at Lane 4 mixing up three different containers of tannerite so that would explain the ones while you were waiting.

Don't I know it, had to wait over an hour and a half to get onto lane 4. Even that was crowded with three groups shooting at once. The last group to show up was a group of anarchist, mostly transgender as far as I could tell. At the time I was sharing the lane with a very patriotic young group blasting country rock out of their pickup. The antifa group, all decked out from head to toe in black, just helped themselves to the lane, as anarchists tend to do, right in between us. Wasn't really sure how that was going to pan out, but we all just got to shooting and even sharing; only gun talk, fun had by all.

Was it this group by any chance?

36844560_2042816392448295_6179277561671974912_n.jpg

View attachment 476327

Is that a PTR 51?

E

Cosimel, pretty sure I saw ya out there at Lane 4 and you came over to me and my buddies standing at the back of my rig and let us know you were waiting. I saw the guys at Lane 4 mixing up three different containers of tannerite so that would explain the ones while you were waiting.

Oh ya, I remember you guys, it took some time after you guys left before I was able to get on the lane. They must have put them pretty far down the lane then. Well, at least I know now nobody got hurt and since I was on lane 4 for several hours after they'd left I know they didn't start a fire. Way too many people up there on the 4th, but it sounds like it did allowed people to meet that normally don't hang out together :)

I would seriously doubt the group I met had anything to do with the graffiti since they are anti-fascist as well. They were, for the most part, responsible and respectful people.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top