JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks bill. I put this question up because a couple/three years ago, after we started working on the NoFo Wolfcreek sites I noticed places where people had areas to shoot, what I'd considered safely, blocked, over in the Beaver Dam Road area. I go over there to hunt mushrooms in the late fall, so I've been on a BUNCH of those roads. I understand there's lack of $$ to have people out there posting/removing signs a bunch. Maybe there should be signs that say only NO SHOOTING, AND, signs for the dry times and fire danger?

Thanks bill. I put this question up because a couple/three years ago, after we started working on the NoFo Wolfcreek sites I noticed places where people had areas to shoot, what I'd considered safely, blocked, over in the Beaver Dam Road area. I go over there to hunt mushrooms in the late fall, so I've been on a BUNCH of those roads. I understand there's lack of $$ to have people out there posting/removing signs a bunch. Maybe there should be signs that say only NO SHOOTING, AND, signs for the dry times and fire danger?
Well, we've had those signs that simply say "No Shooting" (along with the pictograph of a shooter and the universal 'NO' sign),

P1080248.JPG

and those haven't seem to be much good, except as a target to shoot at. At least these new signs have 2 reasons for the No Shooting areas (public safety and fire prevention). I think leaving in the part about fire hazards should be a viable reason to leave on the sign year round because the area could be closed for one reason or the other, as it states "and/or".

Ultimately, the 'Public Safety' part takes priority and that's mostly what they are concerned about. So, either reason is a good reason for closing certain places to shooting.

I'd hate to have to be replacing a bunch different signs for a change in season. However, it may need to be done that way. Will bring up this issue with ODF and hope to come up with a good solution.

Thanks.

Well, we've had those signs that simply say "No Shooting" (along with the pictograph of a shooter and the universal 'NO' sign),

and those haven't seem to be much good, except as a target to shoot at. At least these new signs have 2 reasons for the No Shooting areas (public safety and fire prevention). I think leaving in the part about fire hazards should be a viable reason to leave on the sign year round because the area could be closed for one reason or the other, as it states "and/or".

Ultimately, the 'Public Safety' part takes priority and that's mostly what they are concerned about. So, either reason is a good reason for closing certain places to shooting.

I'd hate to have to be replacing a bunch different signs for a change in season. However, it may need to be done that way. Will bring up this issue with ODF and hope to come up with a good solution.

Thanks.

Yeah, "AND/OR", leave em' up all year because a few people misbehave on public land and we'd just rather lock everybody out so we don't have to deal with it. Right? Well, at least they're charging the public to use their public land with that "Discover Pass". :s0154:

Yeah, "AND/OR", leave em' up all year because a few people misbehave on public land and we'd just rather lock everybody out so we don't have to deal with it. Right? Well, at least they're charging the public to use their public land with that "Discover Pass". :s0154:
The places that are 'public safety ' concerns will probably stay up year round. Not sure how long the ones will stay for the fire concerns, but we'll talk to ODF about that.

As I said before, they are not trying to lock anyone out, just trying to provide better safety.

Yeah, let's hope Oregon doesn't do the forest access permit like Washington does. I hate that extra $35 a year just to park in a state forest .

Oh, the pictograph sign above is at a trailhead that should be obvious not to shoot there. But... so they had to post it.

Tried going up there Thursday but got there at 10 and it was packed with people who obviously where going to be there for a bit so we left and just headed home (sorry, after tasting of the fruit that is the North Fork Wolf Creek Recreational Shooting lanes I am forever ruined when it comes to just finding a pull off spot with a good backstop).

We tried again today and got up there at 7 am and only lane 4 was in use so we started setting up on lane 3 and found that the big group that was there the day before left this home made wooden target stand range-trash-001.jpg

It was still functional and we actually used it for our session but I wasn't sure what I should do with it.
We had been asked by some other folks if we would share the lane so I asked their group what their take on what we should do with it was and they said it was probably best to leave it up so other folks could use it. I'm curious what the official ruling on whether or not I should break something like this down and haul it out or just leave it set up until its shot to splinters.

Other than that lane 3 looks fairly good. There was a larger chunk of wood on the far berm that was too big for us to pack out but we tried to clean up some of the smaller detritus and got a half a bags worth. We would have gotten more but the other folks stayed later than we did and I didn't want to shut down the entire lane for us to clean it up when there wasn't all that much out there.

It appears someone has spray painted a circle with a cross on the inside wall of the jersey barrier. The graffiti looks uncomfortably like the symbol used by the 14/88 crowd so I'll try and add something to get graffiti cleaned off concrete for further trips.

I talked up trash no land to the other group and let them know there are scheduled clean ups at this range and others but wasn't really able to get a read on whether or not they are interested in helping in the future.

I really can't thank the folks who are involved in getting this thing built enough. I can finally go shooting at a place thats actually pretty safe and has clear lanes of fire. It has even gotten my partner much more interested in shooting and thats just awesome.

Good report thanks for the heads up on the graffiti, I'll try and get up there shortly to remove it.

Any ODF agent or Sheriff would say that if you shoot it, whether it was something you brought or left there by another, it becomes your target and you can be held liable for littering if not packed out. So I'm always in favor of pulling anything left over that is wooden and large to the front of the lanes for those that help dispose of such things, or better yet, break it down and pack it out.

Thanks!

Reno

Reno:

Good to know! This was the first time we ever found something that was anywhere near the condition this thing was so it sorta threw us for a loop. If we come across anything like it in the future we will either pull it to the front or pack it out. My deepest apologies for failing to pack out the target stand. It won't happen again.

Thanks for clarifying that for us and thanks again for providing us with a place to shoot !

Tried going up there Thursday but got there at 10 and it was packed with people who obviously where going to be there for a bit so we left and just headed home (sorry, after tasting of the fruit that is the North Fork Wolf Creek Recreational Shooting lanes I am forever ruined when it comes to just finding a pull off spot with a good backstop).

We tried again today and got up there at 7 am and only lane 4 was in use so we started setting up on lane 3 and found that the big group that was there the day before left this home made wooden target stand View attachment 592868

It was still functional and we actually used it for our session but I wasn't sure what I should do with it.
We had been asked by some other folks if we would share the lane so I asked their group what their take on what we should do with it was and they said it was probably best to leave it up so other folks could use it. I'm curious what the official ruling on whether or not I should break something like this down and haul it out or just leave it set up until its shot to splinters.

Other than that lane 3 looks fairly good. There was a larger chunk of wood on the far berm that was too big for us to pack out but we tried to clean up some of the smaller detritus and got a half a bags worth. We would have gotten more but the other folks stayed later than we did and I didn't want to shut down the entire lane for us to clean it up when there wasn't all that much out there.

It appears someone has spray painted a circle with a cross on the inside wall of the jersey barrier. The graffiti looks uncomfortably like the symbol used by the 14/88 crowd so I'll try and add something to get graffiti cleaned off concrete for further trips.

I talked up trash no land to the other group and let them know there are scheduled clean ups at this range and others but wasn't really able to get a read on whether or not they are interested in helping in the future.

I really can't thank the folks who are involved in getting this thing built enough. I can finally go shooting at a place thats actually pretty safe and has clear lanes of fire. It has even gotten my partner much more interested in shooting and thats just awesome.

I think well get more support for trash no land in the very near future...

@VietPho if your not doing anything on July 20th we at Trash No Land would be honored to have you and your friends out for our joint clean up with Oregon Hunters Association. We would be even more honored if you made one of your outstanding videos that day too!

Your edits and music are great. I really enjoy watching them. Especially as you have progressed from dispersed shooting areas to more safe higher bermed shooting areas!

Reno

@VietPho if your not doing anything on July 20th we at Trash No Land would be honored to have you and your friends out for our joint clean up with Oregon Hunters Association. We would be even more honored if you made one of your outstanding videos that day too!

Your edits and music are great. I really enjoy watching them. Especially as you have progressed from dispersed shooting areas to more safe higher bermed shooting areas!

Reno

Thanks for the invite. I am working on July 20th and won't be able to attend the clean up event. However, I will keep an eye out for future events and consider.

My friends and I really appreciate Trash No Land and other groups that help maintain the cleanliness and provide us with safe places for shooting.

We try to help keep it clean on our end of the stick by picking up our brass and small trash (my Sedan can't handle large broken TVs and other weird electronics we see people leave behind). I currently have 2 tarps that I layout and am in the process of buying a few more to cover more ground when shooting.

We are looking forward to seeing more shooting lanes at Wolf Creek in the future :)

Nice example! May I use that photo for a promo of proper setup? I'll trade you... That photo, for your old blue shirt you left there last year. (I still have it!).
Yes you can and I can now put that relentless insomnia behind me now that I finally know what came of my blue shirt :)

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top