JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reno,
It really puts nothing to rest sir. A few points... It is and remains public land. That means people will continue to "save spots" until there are "rules" out in place. Since it is public, there can in effect be no official rules. I do agree courtesy and tact go far. It is why I did not shoot. That does not change the facts of the situation. I will most likely shoot on week days from here on out. As for questions... I am curious to know what your role is with the ODF? Are you a ranger? Just wondering. You mentioned we at ODF several times. I thought ODF shares my view on the saving thing but I would be curious to know their official answer.

Again.... It would have been much different had there already been 6 people there shooting on both benches. He had no one else and was only using the left bench... Meaning the ENTIRE right bench and side was open. That was my issue... I understand lane usage... I have shared before.

Nothing was set up on the right side... NOTHING. That is like you walking down the street and seeing a fresh new pizza sitting on a shel that says "free please help yourself" You try to take it but some random dude says no he wants it.... Or worse... He is saving that pizza for a friend who isnt even there..... It is ridiculous when you look at it that way.... Only difference is there were guns involved... I dont die for pizza. I hope that puts a rest to it now... CBS cares

we've all dealt with people like that out shooting, or at the store, at a bar, wherever. Theres really nothing to do except make a stink about it, if you really want to.

Some people are just very uncomfortable being around strangers with guns, and will be uncomfortable sharing a lane with anyone. It's dumb, but people are weird, and guns can make them weirder. I was packing up on lane 4 about a month ago, and a car rolled up and turned right around without even asking if I was setting up or breaking down.

Reno,
It really puts nothing to rest sir. A few points... It is and remains public land. That means people will continue to "save spots" until there are "rules" out in place. Since it is public, there can in effect be no official rules. I do agree courtesy and tact go far. It is why I did not shoot. That does not change the facts of the situation. I will most likely shoot on week days from here on out. As for questions... I am curious to know what your role is with the ODF? Are you a ranger? Just wondering. You mentioned we at ODF several times. I thought ODF shares my view on the saving thing but I would be curious to know their official answer.
This thread is a great resource to show where myself and ODF come together to bring life to these lanes, back on the early pages. It's a lot of reading going on 90 pages!

I reached out to ODF about 4-5 years ago after meeting one of the Forest Rangers in Tillamook while shooting. They were looking for recreational shooters in the public to assist with developing and creating an understanding of recreational shooting as they were in need of outside help. Myself and two others here as well as outside ranges helped develop and design the original design behind these four lanes as well as other projects like inventorying dispersed shooting lanes and finding suitable areas to create opportunities for safer shooting.

Somewhere between then and now, @Cogs asked me to join him in the creation of a non profit called Trash No Land. It started as a means to better organize clean ups in the woods for known shooting locations but has become much more. Including helping ODF fund and maintain developed shooting lanes.

I'll reach out to ODF on this subject to see if they would like to comment. As it stands, they do not wish to implement rules of any kind as there is no way to enforce them without any sort of range officer. They lean heavily on us, the recreational shooters, to do the right thing. These lanes lean heavily on us, the recreational shooter, to do the right thing. They want folks to share, and frankly, they need folks sharing lanes do to limited lanes available. We all want folks to be able to use the safest shooting areas available, which these lanes are.

Reno

Thats all Im really doing.... Making a stink about it... Got to air it out. LOL
I feel you. I too shoot there and have been turned down when I asked to share. I've also left when letting someone share with me as they weren't being too safe in regards to firearm handling.

I'm not being vague in my responses on purpose, we really appreciate the comments and concerns. It helps us understand the public's needs and desires. It also paints the picture that we simply need more lanes!

I'm glad you found this thread and NWFA and NFWC. I hope that your efforts to post here show a sign of commitment towards improving the overall aspects of recreational shooting!

Reno

Nothing was set up on the right side... NOTHING. That is like you walking down the street and seeing a fresh new pizza sitting on a shel that says "free please help yourself" You try to take it but some random dude says no he wants it.... Or worse... He is saving that pizza for a friend who isnt even there..... It is ridiculous when you look at it that way.... Only difference is there were guns involved... I dont die for pizza. I hope that puts a rest to it now... CBS cares
I hear you.
I mentioned this back a few posts...
At lanes 3 and 4 the problems arise due to their width.
They are set up with a long range "side" and a pistol "side".
Two sides, two disciplines.
The OVERALL width of these lanes are just narrow enough for one person to be emboldened to try to assert control over the entire lane.

So you have the physical nature of lanes 3 and 4 combined with human nature.
Clash of the Natures.

:)

I hear you.
I mentioned this back a few posts...
At lanes 3 and 4 the problems arise due to their width.
They are set up with a long range "side" and a pistol "side".
Two sides, two disciplines.
The OVERALL width of these lanes are just narrow enough for one person to be emboldened to try to assert control over the entire lane.

So you have the physical nature of lanes 3 and 4 combined with human nature.
Clash of the Natures.

:)
Don't know if you have been there since the improvement was done to lane 3, but, we did widen each side to accommodate better sharabilit . We moved the short pistol berm over to the right , which allows for a wider long lane on the left. We also made the short berm wider than it originally was . Then we separated the jersey barriers to better define one lane from the other and allow for the more likelihood of sharing.

Same plans for lane 4.

Good discussion, guys. Wish I could chime in more, but, too many broken air conditioners and I'm fixing am right & left. Getting lots of hugs! ... gotta go earn my next hug!

Maybe "official" signage from ODF outlining the expectations of sharing these lanes freely with others and their hopes to provide everyone and anyone with a safe place to have a positive experience would help to reduce those moments when people might feel a bit of a propriety over any given lane at any given time. It would possibly reduce the impression of any individual taking exception to the way another party is using the lanes if the expected behavior is clearly posted by the only real governing party. As the old saying goes, 'you can't expect others to address your expectations if you've failed to let them know what those are".

Maybe "official" signage from ODF outlining the expectations of sharing these lanes freely with others and their hopes to provide everyone and anyone with a safe place to have a positive experience would help to reduce those moments when people might feel a bit of a propriety over any given lane at any given time. It would possibly reduce the impression of any individual taking exception to the way another party is using the lanes if the expected behavior is clearly posted by the only real governing party. As the old saying goes, 'you can't expect others to address your expectations if you've failed to let them know what those are".
You hit it spot on!!!!

Another worthy idea from the Cosimel! We'll give that some more thought and discussion. I think something could come of that, as long as it's not a hard set of new rules. Main thing is to suggest that people share and care for the lanes to help keep them open and available to all who wish to partake. We're a brotherhood of firearms owners and we need to come together in support of our 2nd Amendment rights, even at the range. (Still gotta use your intuitive common sense and watch your back though!)

On that note.... I may go up tomorrow am. Im hoping it is less packed on a weekday. Any thoughts on time?
For the most part you should be good to go in the AM. Weekdays are usually pretty slow up there.

Let me know how the lanes are looking if you don't mind. I've been meaning to get up there to check on them since the weather has been super nice I imagine they've been getting lots of use.

Lane 3 might need a shovel party to scoop up the ballistic sand back up onto the berm too.

Be safe and enjoy the day!

Heard back from ODF, they are going to work up an official response for the lanes in regards to what their wishes are for the use of them and sharing.

They are considering signage to better hone in on what their wishes are as well.

I'll update once I get the statement.

Thanks,

Reno

Meanwhile, a handful of new signs are coming soon. These signs, designed and produced by ODF with a little help from Trash No Land, will be used at certain unsafe and fire hazardous areas. First up is along North Fork Wolf Creek Rd, just after the turn-off to the lanes.

In talking with ODF about this, I believe it's a good idea and am all for it. In fact, we all should be behind the efforts to curb rogue shooting in unsafe places. I have always wanted to post signs like this, at many places I see that are really unsafe, but I haven't received authorization to post such a sign and it wouldn't have much authoritative impact without an agency stamp of approval.

ODF is not wanting to shut down shooting in the whole McGregor Basin area, just in some places where there is no backstop, nearby trails or high fire danger places. In fact, it's just the opposite. ODF is really pushing to do another, long distance, shooting area further up the road and wants to get it done by the end of September. Currently, people are shooting off into the wild blue yonder at lookout points, shooting down trees and along roadways. They gotta do something and I don't blame them!

The signs may not last long, so, we are hoping the Trash No Land logo will help people understand that responsible shooters support this effort. We certainly appreciate your adherence to the message and your reports of what you see while in the woods.

No Shooting ODF Signs Final cropped.jpg

If you see a white and blue van and a tall skinny dude out there or at salmonberry tomorrow, you're welcome to share with me.

Leaving work early, hoping to be out there around 11 or noon.

Meanwhile, a handful of new signs are coming soon. These signs, designed and produced by ODF with a little help from Trash No Land, will be used at certain unsafe and fire hazardous areas. First up is along North Fork Wolf Creek Rd, just after the turn-off to the lanes.

In talking with ODF about this, I believe it's a good idea and am all for it. In fact, we all should be behind the efforts to curb rogue shooting in unsafe places. I have always wanted to post signs like this, at many places I see that are really unsafe, but I haven't received authorization to post such a sign and it wouldn't have much authoritative impact without an agency stamp of approval.

ODF is not wanting to shut down shooting in the whole McGregor Basin area, just in some places where there is no backstop, nearby trails or high fire danger places. In fact, it's just the opposite. ODF is really pushing to do another, long distance, shooting area further up the road and wants to get it done by the end of September. Currently, people are shooting off into the wild blue yonder at lookout points, shooting down trees and along roadways. They gotta do something and I don't blame them!

The signs may not last long, so, we are hoping the Trash No Land logo will help people understand that responsible shooters support this effort. We certainly appreciate your adherence to the message and your reports of what you see while in the woods.

My question would be....Will ODF be removing these signs in a timely manor when danger of fire has abated? I fully agree with "No Target Shooting" signs being placed where there is no suitable backstop. Unfortunately I DON'T see them removing signs from areas after fire danger is over. I've already seen places that have a safe back stop blocked of by logs or rocks so that people couldn't park off the road.

My question would be....Will ODF be removing these signs in a timely manor when danger of fire has abated? I fully agree with "No Target Shooting" signs being placed where there is no suitable backstop. Unfortunately I DON'T see them removing signs from areas after fire danger is over. I've already seen places that have a safe back stop blocked of by logs or rocks so that people couldn't park off the road.
Good thought. We'll push for that as we go. I agree, if the place is good and legal, keep it open and provide parking. Other public safety reasons, then keep it closed.

Thanks Mike!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top