JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the holders are just going to be 2" pipes stuck in the ground, they'll probably fill up gradually with dirt and become useless.

A solution would be for the holders to be a short section of pipe elevated above the ground (involving some welded sections or something), so that dirt falls out the bottom.
1-1/2" I.D. works well with 1x2 target posts.
My PVC stand is about 27" out-to-out and works well (easy to find cardboard backer in that width).
So about a 24" spacing would work.
Good observation on the dirt/debris issue.
One could weld a piece of 1/4" x 1-1/2" flat bar (or J-bolt) onto a section pipe (on the outside of the pipe).
Then embed the flat bar into the concrete with the bottom of the pipe elevated for a self-cleaning effect.

If the masses could only be educated on how to use them.....

1-1/2" I.D. works well with 1x2 target posts.
My PVC stand is about 27" out-to-out and works well (easy to find cardboard backer in that width).
So about a 24" spacing would work.
Good observation on the dirt/debris issue.
One could weld a piece of 1/4" x 1-1/2" flat bar (or J-bolt) onto a section pipe (on the outside of the pipe).
Then embed the flat bar into the concrete with the bottom of the pipe elevated for a self-cleaning effect.

If the masses could only be educated on how to use them.....

Good thinkin, Direct. I like it!

Somebody on Reddit reported this happened to them at the shooting lanes.

Warning about guy shooting from truck at wolf creek today • r/pdxgunnuts

Went out to wolf creek around noon today, all the official spots were taken, we went further up the road and found a safe area with backdrop. Near the end of our visit a truck was driving down the road further up the hill, I heard a gun shot, then a second gun shot, and a crack about 10 feet from my left.

We quickly realized the bubbleguming piece of bubblegum above us was shooting from a moving vehicle down into the gulley, not realizing we were behind the hill in the shooting area. We hit the dirt, he drove by, saw our car and floored it.

Didn't get plate but it was a multi tone brown Ford pickup, I think a f150..guy driving, some lady in passenger seat.

If you ever read this, bubblegum you, you should never be allowed to own a gun, you came 10 feet from hitting one of us while YOU DROVE A bubblegumING CAR. Eat a dick.

By the time we got our bubblegum together and got in our car he was long gone. Without a plate I don't know if calling the cops is going to make a difference.

So, I was up at lane #3 this morning finishing out the year with a bang; ok had to go there, anyways, meet a nice couple and shared the lane, watched as purple casing flew thru the air. Yes, that's right, purple casings. She love purple and he buys those specifically to get her to the range. I had to smile. What made me frown was how trashed the lane was. We were up there just a few weeks ago and you couldn't even tell :-( There was a crap load of shotgun shells all around the shooter's side of the barriers; I did my best to clear them out but most were frozen onto the ground. I was tripping over them the whole time since I obviously couldn't see them under my tarp. Still frozen to the ground after I finished as was most everything else left up there. Took what I could, but even my round were starting to freeze to the gravel where they missed the tarp. Anyways, fun as always, just a little sad to see all that work undone :-( 20171231_073828.jpg

Thanks for the report @Cosimel

It is worth repeating that these sites were developed with the thought in mind that those that don't clean, and are lazy, would use them. Yes this means others will likely be the ones cleaning them. All recreations are like this however. It is working though, and those that appreciate having these sites and more like them do what you and I do. Keep'em clean.

Spreading the stewardship is all it is about.

Last Edited:
Try hanging around Brown's Camp after 10pm on a weekend. Just ask @Cogs !
Hanging out? Spent the night in the middle of the pit! I done some stupid things before and this one was close to the top of the list! Rigs roaring up and down the road all night long. Visitors at midnight with night vision and fully armed. Geez, we're lucky we're still here!

IMG_2603.JPG

Hanging out? Spent the night in the middle of the pit! I done some stupid things before and this one was close to the top of the list! Rigs roaring up and down the road all night long. Visitors at midnight with night vision and fully armed. Geez, we're lucky we're still here!

That propane tank would look awful tempting under the right circumstances . . . glad you made it out alive.

I actually got lane 4 for the first time ever, last Saturday, at about 11am. I was shocked.

There was also only one wooden target stand and some scattered paper plates. I left the stand because it was pretty big, and still solid. Not just propped up pallets.

I actually got lane 4 for the first time ever, last Saturday, at about 11am. I was shocked.

There was also only one wooden target stand and some scattered paper plates. I left the stand because it was pretty big, and still solid. Not just propped up pallets.

Having lane 4 to yourself on a Saturday is a pretty rare thing.

I've been there only a handful of times but never lucky enough to get the longer lanes. Got lucky on Sunday at lane 4. I assumed that tall large stand has always been there? We were only there for about an hour due to all the rain. We got there dry and happy but left soaked, wet, and disappointed especially driving all the way from Gresham. Bummer! Maybe next time.....

I assumed that tall large stand has always been there?

No permanent stands have been installed by ODF.

Anyone have a picture of this?

I'll be out and about on the 29th with ODF. I'll swing by with them and see what's up.

I'll review it with ODF.

If it promotes use of using paper targets, we may install one on lane three.

If you zoom in you might make out the structure. Maybe 4'-6' tall, a few feet wide.View attachment 424723
Thanks for the pic! The one at the end of the lane, (bottom), is good placement and how it should be done, but still, nothing should be left behind.

The problem is, the targets above. We're looking at ways to discourage placing target way up high. It was never the plan to have targets placed up that high. We run the risk of increased fire potential with the weeds up there, (in the dry season), it breaks down the soil and erodes the sides where people climb.

Really now, how much extra yardage to you get with targets up there? And for all that trouble of getting them there! And, when they're done shooting, they won't bother to climb back up there to take them down.

Thanks @NWHmoob and @turbo_vanner for the report!

Bill

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews