JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I (finally) was able to shoot steel this summer and oh man what a load of fun. The acquaintance who took me had a few different stands 1 of them were reactive swinging side to side when hit. We did a few drills and it was really cool to get that reactive feedback you don't get with paper targets.

I need to get my own soon enough, thanks for sharing the links.

I have some tumblers from Salute Targets (they are here in Hillsboro, and can be bought at local shops) and gongs from ShootingTargets7.com.

For the gongs, I use 5- 2x4s and 2 saw horse brackets from Home Depot. I have one set up for rifle and another set up for pistol. I'll have to take a picture next time we're out. Heard that the weather will be cooperating this weekend.

(N) AR500 12x20 x 3/8" Silhouette steel shooting target with full stand mount kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HKGZG64/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KsOjAb4ATC23A

Love these stands! Bought a 2nd recently because one wasn't enough. Probably sent over a 1000 rounds in to it with an AR and a few .308 rounds when a guy I let join me on lane 4 "accedently" shot it with his AR10. Very small pitting from the .308.

Worth the $$ if you can afford it.

Quick question. Going to try and do some shooting this weekend and wanted to know what people recommend for target stands?

Easy Way Target Stand
1-1/2" PVC base (not glued !) and (2) 6' 1x2 for carboard backboard.
One ten foot chunk of PVC does it. Plus the fittings shown.
(no need for 90 degree fittings at the base) See pic
Cut 6 pieces at 16"
The leftover piece makes your cross member
Width of the backboard is about 27"
Attach the cardboard backer to the 1x2's with the large size paper clasps

The whole thing breaks down flat for travel (Again, do not glue the PVC !)
PVC fittings are a taper fit and you can jam them tight.
No glue also permits easy repair if needed.

Use tacks or staples to secure your targets .
Or adhesive backed targets.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last Edited:
I picked up a 10" gong from "Thor Targets" at the ARPC show in Albany.

About Thor Targets - Oregon Shooting and Hunting Targets

They say the steel is better than AR500. I know it took .30-06 at 80 yards and did nothing bus leave a scosh of bullet residue on the steel. The S&W 500mag made a bit of a divot. We shot the crap out of it at one of the clean-ups and the only damage was to the edge when it got hit from the side.

I won a set of these at one of the cleanups.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Sta...0&sr=8-1&keywords=the+last+stand+target+stand

They work pretty good, the .30-06 does damage the rebar though. :oops:

I (finally) was able to shoot steel this summer and oh man what a load of fun. The acquaintance who took me had a few different stands 1 of them were reactive swinging side to side when hit. We did a few drills and it was really cool to get that reactive feedback you don't get with paper targets.

I need to get my own soon enough, thanks for sharing the links.

No problem. I forgot to add I tag these with all my firearms, including my little pop gun, S&W 500 Mag. They have held up quite nicely.

Here is a pretty good set up for the Wolf Creek lanes. A harbor freight moving blanket and tarp make it much easier to shoot.

Target.

I prefer steel. A simple garden Shepard's hook and a plate off Amazon is pretty easy and inexpensive.

Shootsteel.com make great targets.

@IronMonster is a member here that sells iron, I mean steel targets as well.

FC48F999-094C-4696-8E09-C0BC5CFB2BB5.jpeg

I picked up a 10" gong from "Thor Targets" at the ARPC show in Albany.

About Thor Targets - Oregon Shooting and Hunting Targets

They say the steel is better than AR500. I know it took .30-06 at 80 yards and did nothing bus leave a scosh of bullet residue on the steel. The S&W 500mag made a bit of a divot. We shot the crap out of it at one of the clean-ups and the only damage was to the edge when it got hit from the side.

I won a set of these at one of the cleanups.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Sta...0&sr=8-1&keywords=the+last+stand+target+stand

They work pretty good, the .30-06 does damage the rebar though. :oops:
+1 for thelaststand

067E25EF-25A1-45C6-8843-14BEDC796A18.jpeg

Hey im a Canadian new to portland and looking to head out to Wolf creek today to do some shooting with my wife. i have a few questions. i read earlier a road was closed at some ranges due to a fire. can i still access wolf creek today and in a small 4 door car(logging roads)?

glad to be a part of this forum and hope i can make some new friends. anybody play hockey ?/hunt drop me a pm. thanks

You should do just fine. The road up the hill is a little rough but just pick your way.

Welcome to NWFA!

Hey im a Canadian new to portland and looking to head out to Wolf creek today to do some shooting with my wife. i have a few questions. i read earlier a road was closed at some ranges due to a fire. can i still access wolf creek today and in a small 4 door car(logging roads)?

glad to be a part of this forum and hope i can make some new friends. anybody play hockey ?/hunt drop me a pm. thanks

I made it up there fine a few times in my old vehicle, VW Golf TDi. Scraped a bit, but no permanent damage.

I remember the many attempts at rigging a target stand with what I had lying around, all failed, then I busted out the chop saw and bought some PVC piping from Home Depot, drew out a rough design and started cutting. The base ended up longer than I'd expected, which makes it a bit hard to put in my car assembled, but it doesn't blow over and I purposely didn't glue it together which not only makes it easier to pack since it can be completely broken down, but the flex in the base makes it possible to adjust it to the terrain. As for steel, heck ya; started shooting on the Thor plate I bought at Oregon Rifleworks (they have them at J & B Firearm Sales too) back in early September and I use it to finish up after drills just for the fun of it. I love the Thor target, the stand and plate hanger system is simple and indestructible (believe me I've tried; I've shot 3" maximum slugs at it and one shot made it flip off the stand and land about six feet away and it took them like it was nothing). I also love supporting local businesses and I love that the Thor targets are made here in Oregon; highly recommend them !!!

Targets.jpg

I remember the many attempts at rigging a target stand with what I had lying around, all failed, then I busted out the chop saw and bought some PVC piping from Home Depot, drew out a rough design and started cutting. The base ended up longer than I'd expected, which makes it a bit hard to put in my car assembled, but it doesn't blow over and I purposely didn't glue it together which not only makes it easier to pack since it can be completely broken down, but the flex in the base makes it possible to adjust it to the terrain. As for steel, heck ya; started shooting on the Thor plate I bought at Oregon Rifleworks (they have them at J & B Firearm Sales too) back in early September and I use it to finish up after drills just for the fun of it. I love the Thor target, the stand and plate hanger system is simple and indestructible (believe me I've tried; I've shot 3" maximum slugs at it and one shot made it flip off the stand and land about six feet away and it took them like it was nothing). I also love supporting local businesses and I love that the Thor targets are made here in Oregon; highly recommend them !!!

View attachment 411458

How much was the steel target?

Please pick up your target trash. 3 was a mess today. Took a bag off of 4. Be courteous and ask if you can join people who are already using a lane. And please don't start using someone else's targets without asking. You know who you are.

Please pick up your target trash. 3 was a mess today. Took a bag off of 4. Be courteous and ask if you can join people who are already using a lane. And please don't start using someone else's targets without asking. You know who you are.
Thanks for the efforts and the report.

We should really look at getting a small get together for cleaning up 3 and 4.

I agree with Oya (who I had the opportunity to meet today!). I was up there today too, and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. The whole area is turning into to one big crap hole. And for some strange reason I am unable to post the photos I took!

The road leading up to the lanes is rougher than I've ever seen it, with large potholes and exposed rocks. The landing at Lane #4 is turning into a muddy quagmire.

All the ranges including the pistol bays are looking pretty rough. They don't look like any maintenance has been done on them since they were built.

I was parked at Lane #3 this morning, and I personally witnessed two a$$-hats who drove a red Chevy sedan with Wisconsin license plate 145 UAP throw a bunch of garbage up on to the pistol berm to use as targets, and of course they didn't pack out the garbage. They just left it there.

I policed the entire area where I shot, and picked up a full bag of trash. I could have easily gotten another two or three bags with all the garbage strewn around Lane #3

I think I'm going to take my soldering iron and do a stipple job on the grip of my .40 cal M&P.
Good info. I'll get the plates to the proper enforcement.

As for maintenance. We are looking at this. Hoping funds come through to do so.

ODF is aware of the road and has it on their radar to regrade in time.

The winter has proven to be the worst for these lanes. The mud and rain make it difficult to clean. We are hoping to make improvements to change this.

Thanks to all those brave enough to get up there during the winter and get in the mud to clean.

I have a plastic tarp when I go shooting. Put all my targets and things I am going to shoot on it. When done just fold the 4 corners and all the junk falls to the middle. Dispose of contents in a suitable manner and save the tarp for next time. Unfortunately their is a certain segment of the population that shoots that act like inbred hillbilly's or who just want to shoot up their garbage.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top