JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep I figured as much but that is a good point I didn't consider at first about the brass scavengers, very well could have been them. This time however there was a decent amount of un-shot ammo laying around I scooped up which makes me think it was people shooting after dark. Personally I really could care less if anyone does that as long as we aren't the ones picking up after them. What got me most fired up...about the fires... lol was the one on the barrier. I put a mat or something similar down anyways but it just is super inconsiderate of everyone else using the location. Still wouldn't mind throwing a few signs up to get the word out about respecting the range and what not though...

We've signed the hell out of that place and nothing gets through to those who don't give a damn. The fires, graffiti and destruction of signs, certainly happens at night with the young party crowd (they wouldn't do it in daylight hours because they would be seen). I've always loved a good kegger in the woods, but we never graffiti'd nor trashed the place. These city kids are really hurting our respectable kind of recreation!

Rather than more signs, I tend to lean on more display of what responsible shooting looks like. Such as those who shoot legally, and during legal hours, put their shooting activity on display. Meaning... have a tarp (visible) to catch the spent casings, display a fire extinguisher and shovel (or a couple gallons of water and a shovel), use legal targets on target stands and handling firearms in a safe manner.

I don't think we can do much about after hours activity. However, this kind of stuff pushes me more towards installing camera's at each shooting lane. I'm not ruling that out as an option!

We've signed the hell out of that place and nothing gets through to those who don't give a damn. The fires, graffiti and destruction of signs, certainly happens at night with the young party crowd (they wouldn't do it in daylight hours because they would be seen). I've always loved a good kegger in the woods, but we never graffiti'd nor trashed the place. These city kids are really hurting our respectable kind of recreation!

Rather than more signs, I tend to lean on more display of what responsible shooting looks like. Such as those who shoot legally, and during legal hours, put their shooting activity on display. Meaning... have a tarp (visible) to catch the spent casings, display a fire extinguisher and shovel (or a couple gallons of water and a shovel), use legal targets on target stands and handling firearms in a safe manner.

I don't think we can do much about after hours activity. However, this kind of stuff pushes me more towards installing camera's at each shooting lane. I'm not ruling that out as an option!
History has shown that only a locked gate will work to keep most of the vermin out.
But that is a can of worms.
It's coming to that though.

Another way is to have a Site Host.
Like a Camp Host.
That's worked, but requires a dedicated volunteer.

No I'm completely on board with that too, its not the fact they did what they did, just that they left it in the shape I found it... I'm all for a keg and a bonfire lol and I'm guilty of being one of those SHT heads ten plus years ago so maybe the only thing that will do any good is time and leaving a lasting impression that we do care by keeping it clean...
I wouldn't mind seeing some of that footage if you ever do strap a few cameras up in the trees BTW. ;) lol if I knew any of them id give em a few words...if not more. (Partial Joke)

Well, Mr. KronD, I'd like to thank you for the report and the deeds you have done. I'm sure we all appreciate it.

We are rather committed to this place and will continue to work at keeping it up and in good condition. I know most of us get frustrated in hearing about this stuff, but all in all, it's well cared for by the many users who value this place as a prime target shooting opportunity. Any and all help in keeping it clean and in good condition is very much appreciate! Thank you!
Bill

Well, Mr. KronD, I'd like to thank you for the report and the deeds you have done. I'm sure we all appreciate it.

We are rather committed to this place and will continue to work at keeping it up and in good condition. I know most of us get frustrated in hearing about this stuff, but all in all, it's well cared for by the many users who value this place as a prime target shooting opportunity. Any and all help in keeping it clean and in good condition is very much appreciate! Thank you!
Bill
Thanks man, really appreciate that. Like you said, there is enough of us to keep up with the BS... I have yet to come across anyone unfavorable here or at the range also which is a big plus to me so picking up some garbage is a small price to pay.
-Alex

Gee some burn piles and spent casings, Some trash too. Installing hidden cameras, locked gates, and inviting cops to patrol more is the answer? I hope not.
Post Rating
98_half-star-poor-rating-symbols-png-image-drawing.jpg
Looks like we could use some improvement here.

Lol I can't tell if your legitimately upset that we are talking about solutions or what. You would rather the place get trashed on a regular basis? @New guy your pretty damn late to the conversation and obviously haven't read the entire thing so relax, mostly all of those things you just stated aren't even going to happen. The stuff people leave however is not a good look for anyone here...especially if we want to keep these places open.

Gee some burn piles and spent casings, Some trash too. Installing hidden cameras, locked gates, and inviting cops to patrol more is the answer? I hope not.
Cops patrolling more often is a good thing. If more people would report that they saw law enforcement out there, the more the bad ones would hear about it and hold back their wrong deeds. The cops are on our side. I like em out there.

Locking the gates? Not going to happen. Who would volunteer to be there every evening at sunset to lock them and return by sunrise to unlock them? Not feasible.

Hidden cameras? Only if they came on in the dark. Cause that's when most of BS happens. Otherwise, it wouldn't be right to record everyone doing their daily recreation, even if it is a public place. I'd never be comfortable with that.

As @KronDestroyer said above, "relax, mostly all of those things you just stated aren't even going to happen". But the more ideas we kick around, the more chances we may find a solution or two.

As for the trash left behind, illegal dumping, fire pits, graffiti and sign destruction, we'll have to put up with it until we catch someone in the act and turn them in. Till then, we are just like all the other kinds of recreation groups who experience the same BS we see at the lanes. It's a bigger problem than just at these lanes and it happens at any kind of recreation area. Have they found good solutions yet? Maybe we'll be the first!

So, @New guy , don't worry, we're still lookin for answers too.

Went up to North fork shooting lanes with my kid this morning. Lanes 1 and 3 were open when we arrived so we took lane 3. Saw some good and bad. Looks like the trees that were planted by Trash no Land are still alive not trampled by lane 3. It does not look like anyone has been shooting in that unsafe area since the work was done. Lane 3 sign was shot up and a fair amount of trash was there, lots of shot shells and a few big things, I think an old car seat. Looks like someone made a pile of trash near the barriers but there was pleanty other trash around. Lots of brass on the ground so someone must have been there before us this morning. I picked up what I could but with a small car can't take much with me.
20210618_102258.jpg 20210618_102858.jpg 20210618_102908.jpg 20210618_102910.jpg 20210618_102928.jpg 20210618_102944.jpg 20210618_103651.jpg 20210618_103659.jpg 20210618_103703.jpg 20210618_103712.jpg 20210618_120351.jpg 20210618_125903.jpg 20210618_125905.jpg

Went up to North fork shooting lanes with my kid this morning. Lanes 1 and 3 were open when we arrived so we took lane 3. Saw some good and bad. Looks like the trees that were planted by Trash no Land are still alive not trampled by lane 3. It does not look like anyone has been shooting in that unsafe area since the work was done. Lane 3 sign was shot up and a fair amount of trash was there, lots of shot shells and a few big things, I think an old car seat. Looks like someone made a pile of trash near the barriers but there was pleanty other trash around. Lots of brass on the ground so someone must have been there before us this morning. I picked up what I could but with a small car can't take much with me.
View attachment 976825View attachment 976826View attachment 976827View attachment 976828View attachment 976829View attachment 976830View attachment 976831View attachment 976832View attachment 976833View attachment 976834View attachment 976835View attachment 976836View attachment 976837
Thanks for cleaning up what you could.

Welp... looks like nothing we say or do is going to stop these idiots. Best thing we can do is just clean up after them unfortunately and try to keep it as nice as possible for others like us. I'll hopefully be up this coming week and I'll bring a load back with me. Good job doing what you could though man, it's greatly appreciated by us who care. 🤘 ps nice 🦂

Hey guys, sorry for being MIA, but my Dad has a new heart valve and I've done my duty helping a friend move to Ohio; now I'm back and ready to get back to stewardship. I was up at the lanes last Thursday, got up there early and was able to get a good look at all the lanes. The good news was there doesn't seem to be any signs of non-shooting related dumping, and what trash is up on the lanes isn't so bad. I also had a chance to inspect our safety project and everything we planted seems to be doing quite well.

20210617_062914_HDR.jpg 20210617_062921_HDR.jpg 20210617_062931_HDR.jpg

The bad news, as mention in an earlier post by @6Corsa6, some looser has shot up the board on lane 3.

20210617_083450_HDR.jpg 20210617_083501_HDR.jpg

I figure we can repair the boards on both lanes 3 & 4 at the same time, maybe install that steel plate behind them for some immediate feedback 🙃

Which brings me to the point of this post. I'd like to get another clean-up organized. My thought was to wait until after the 4th of July since the lanes historically get pretty trashed on that day in particular. Considering the 4th falls on a Sunday, we can expect record visits that entire weekend. So I'd say the earliest we'd want to schedule a clean-up would be the weekend of July 10th-11th, or we could wait until the next weekend, the 17th-18th. Give it some thoughts and let's try to agree on a date before the end of June. I know @Cogs will be tied up for the entire month of July, so we'll need as many volunteers with pick-ups and/or trailers as possible. We'll also need to figure out the logistics of getting new signage and the materials needed to fix the signs, in particular, if anyone can donate the plywood, considering how expensive it is right now, that would be awesome. Anyways, give it some thought and post if you can make it and which dates you think would work best and we'll hopefully can come to a consensus.

Hey guys, sorry for being MIA, but my Dad has a new heart valve and I've done my duty helping a friend move to Ohio; now I'm back and ready to get back to stewardship. I was up at the lanes last Thursday, got up there early and was able to get a good look at all the lanes. The good news was there doesn't seem to be any signs of non-shooting related dumping, and what trash is up on the lanes isn't so bad. I also had a chance to inspect our safety project and everything we planted seems to be doing quite well.

View attachment 978720View attachment 978721View attachment 978722

The bad news, as mention in an earlier post by @6Corsa6, some looser has shot up the board on lane 3.

View attachment 978723View attachment 978724

I figure we can repair the boards on both lanes 3 & 4 at the same time, maybe install that steel plate behind them for some immediate feedback 🙃

Which brings me to the point of this post. I'd like to get another clean-up organized. My thought was to wait until after the 4th of July since the lanes historically get pretty trashed on that day in particular. Considering the 4th falls on a Sunday, we can expect record visits that entire weekend. So I'd say the earliest we'd want to schedule a clean-up would be the weekend of July 10th-11th, or we could wait until the next weekend, the 17th-18th. Give it some thoughts and let's try to agree on a date before the end of June. I know @Cogs will be tied up for the entire month of July, so we'll need as many volunteers with pick-ups and/or trailers as possible. We'll also need to figure out the logistics of getting new signage and the materials needed to fix the signs, in particular, if anyone can donate the plywood, considering how expensive it is right now, that would be awesome. Anyways, give it some thought and post if you can make it and which dates you think would work best and we'll hopefully can come to a consensus.
ODF is supplying the new lumber for the signs at lanes 3 & 4. I had dropped off a 4 foot long 4x6 beam for them to engrave "Lane 4" on, and haven't heard when it's ready. Should be any day now. All we need to do is replace the damaged parts.

Yep, I'm out for at lease 3/4 of July. I should be able to make a trip for watering the plants by the end of July.

I'll let you know when the lumber is ready. I'm sure it will be a pick up at the Forest Grove ODF office.

Is this site going to be open to the public? Free? Fee? Reservation only? First come, first serve?
Yep. It always has been free and open to the public. It's just a 'dispersed' shooting place that was improved with some really nice improvements. It is first come, first serve.

You gotta help take care of it, or we could loose it. So, pack a trash bag and a fire extinguisher. Then enjoy a great place to shoot!

Yep. It always has been free and open to the public. It's just a 'dispersed' shooting place that was improved with some really nice improvements. It is first come, first serve.

You gotta help take care of it, or we could loose it. So, pack a trash bag and a fire extinguisher. Then enjoy a great place to shoot!
Geez, I must've driven past it dozens of times and not known it was up there. I'm looking forward to getting up there with my GP100 this summer. Thanks all for the info on it!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top