JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before this summer starts really kicking, we have been looking at purchasing a cooler similar to the Yeti brand.
I'm curious if anyone has a different brand and what they think of it. We have looked at RTIC, but apparently so has everyone else, sold out until late august. I have looked at the Cabelas models and like them but there is more than that out there.

Any thoughts from sportsman?

There are a number of reviews on YouTube between Yetis and the Igloo and Colman EXTREME type coolers, and the extreme coolers usually fair almost as well or even better in some cases than the Yeti. Makes it hard to justify the significantly greater price for a Yeti if "ice keeping" is your main criteria. If you're going to beat your cooler to hell and need the added strength of a Yeti, then perhaps it makes sense.

There are a number of reviews on YouTube between Yetis and the Igloo and Colman EXTREME type coolers, and the extreme coolers usually fair almost as well or even better in some cases than the Yeti. Makes it hard to justify the significantly greater price for a Yeti if "ice keeping" is your main criteria. If you're going to beat your cooler to hell and need the added strength of a Yeti, then perhaps it makes sense.
I'm feeling like that is pretty accurate. I've watched a number of the videos and came to a similar conclusion.

Check Glen's Outdoors for blemished ORCA coolers if you are shopping deals.
Users report the quality to be right there with YETI.
I must suck at internettting...I could not find that on their site. Looking for blems though, didn't think of that. Thanks!

I picked up a Stanley for half the price of a yeti. Worked great on a 4 day camping trip. I was going to buy the Yeti, but they were out of the size I wanted. I bought the Stanley with the intention of returning it, but it worked so well that i will keep it.

I have an Igloo Sportsman 100qt cooler. They call it a 5 day cooler, but it more like a 3 or 4 day cooler if you start with lots of ice. I also have a Yeti and it will keep stuff cold for 5/6 days easy.
The trick with all coolers is to start out plenty of ice, think block ice, and keep them out of the sun. I also freeze some of the food and drinks that I won't use during the first few days. And I keep a smaller cooler to stock drinks in so we are not opening the big cooler all day letting the cold air escape. If you are just camping for a long weekend, you don't need a Yeti or other expensive cooler.
Buy a decent cooler big enough to be able to start with lots of ice and keep it out of the sun.

I had an expedition planned last July to the wilds of Outback Idaho/Salmon River country.

I shopped/researched/read/reviewed for over 2 months trying to come to 'best choice'.
There are some excellent designs out there. I was torn between a few of the highly similar models. When it got down to actual hands-on inspection, 2 of my 5 'best choices' didn't have an outlet in this state; 2 were sold out with no idea of 'when new stock' would arrive.

The Cabelas model interested me, and was available....but the handles stuck way out on the sides, taking up an extra foot in width for no actual advantage cooler wise.

I had found the exact spot in my rig that would maximize every available inch, as well as work perfectly with all other components of my complex load requirements.

In the end, I too didn't want to spend megaBux$$$ for a mere cooler...."yet I" in fact discovered a size others didn't have, and "yet It" passed all my other specs.

You can guess what I bought. From performance standpoint, I had solid ice for 4 days in hottest days in the region, thru 2 forest fires, and supporting both a fishing trip and grand kids needs without a flaw. By day 6 I had water+ice @ internal temp of 41*, well past the crucial time frame.

By day 7 the drinks remaining were still cold enough but most of the ice was gone. I refreshed my ice supply for the rest of the journey home.

If I had needed just a '1 or 2 day' with wheels design, there's other choices.
It's nice to know I'll never be needing another for a few decades.

I use a 36 quart for daily in and out stuff.
For my "ice reservoir" I use an Igloo 100 quart.
The large cooler gets a layer of block ice on the bottom (homemade in Ziploc brand rigid storage containers) and the rest is bags of cube ice that feed the smaller cooler.
The block ice "protects" the cube ice from melting too fast.
The large cooler sits on 2" rigid foam in the PU bed and has a 3/4" thick flexible foam "follower" that chases the cube ice down.
This keeps "dead air" away from the cube ice bags.

61%2BlApAjpcL._SL1500_.jpg
This Igloo is well-designed except I wouldn't opt for the cute little "trap door" on top.
It is useless for my application.
$58 on sale at Fisherman's a few years ago.
Don't know what size you need, but the 120 quart version of the above does not have the silly "trap door" and is not much more $$.

Edit:
Something that folks may not think of concerning the high end coolers.....theft.
I would worry more about leaving it out and unattended.

Last Edited:
You don't let the cold air "out"... law of thermodynamics: heat travels to areas of "lesser" heat, your letting heat "in". LOL

YETI coolers are certified grizzly proof.... beat THAT!

(BTW- There's no frakin' way I'd spend +$300 on a Yeti, but a .357, 10mm, or 454 Casul would be in order!) :D

You don't let the cold air "out"... law of thermodynamics: heat travels to areas of "lesser" heat, your letting heat "in". LOL
When you open an upright refrigerator, the cold air "falls out" because it is heavier than the ambient air.
In a cooler it's about limiting the opening-closing and using a barrier to separate ice from the air inside the cooler.
Some high end coolers have these insulated sheets that follow the ice down.
I made mine out of a 5/8" thick, closed cell camping pad.....it does help.
At the start of the trip it sits on top (outside) until there is room.

In extreme heat, remote camping where ice is like gold, ice management is a prime concern.
I've been known to put sleeping bags over the coolers at times.

And to think I could have just thrown down for a Yeti ;)

I'm feeling like that is pretty accurate. I've watched a number of the videos and came to a similar conclusion.

Especially when you start to think that you could replace the cooler...maybe even more than once and still be under the cost of a Yeti. And when we're talking about Yeti pricing, I can't help but start to think about an ARB or Engel Fridge/Freeze. Granted those are a lot more money. But if you use a cooler a lot there is a fair amount of money spent on ice over time. Not having to worry about ice ever again is an added bonus.

The old fashioned injection molded coolers are pretty lame. The Yeti and other high end coolers are very expensive. I bought the Coleman Extreme cooler a couple years ago. Much better than the old cheap injection molded coolers, but probably not as good as a $800 Yeti.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top