JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would there be any point to someone who does not reload saving once-fired brass? I was up at the home range today shooting a little. That particular patch is, quite literally, littered with brass casings of every sort; from common to oddball. Considering all the brouhaha surrounding ammo these days I was wondering if it would be worth the time and bother to save spent shells to give away or resell.

Thoughts?

Gifting it would be awesome. Selling would be understandable. Saving it in the case you ever decide to load, isn't the worst idea either. It certainly has value.

If you all have the space and 5gal buckets, or some other reasonably easy method to store them, yah sure!

The unprocessed brass will always have value. What value? Truly depends.

Worst case scrap yard/recycler. No idea on if it needs to be de-primed, or not for scrap. Never been to one.

I've saved a goodly portion of our brass since we've been shooting, not all, but most.

Multi fold reasons I did. Most of our shooting is at private clubs, where clean up is part of membership. So since we clean it up anyways, no reason not to keep decent brass.

Planned on getting into reloading "some day", in progress at the moment.

Have the space to store it & buckets etc.

Traded off some buckets last move, towards projectiles IIRC.

So in short, will have cash & trade value. Re-use value as well, should you all consider reloading down the road at some point. An interesting hobby in and of itself, as well as allowing for continued shooting, shooting better rounds etc etc.

If you all have the space and 5gal buckets, or some other reasonably easy method to store them, yah sure!

The unprocessed brass will always have value. What value? Truly depends.

Worst case scrap yard/recycler. No idea on if it needs to be de-primed, or not for scrap. Never been to one.

I've saved a goodly portion of our brass since we've been shooting, not all, but most.

Multi fold reasons I did. Most of our shooting is at private clubs, where clean up is part of membership. So since we clean it up anyways, no reason not to keep decent brass.

Planned on getting into reloading "some day", in progress at the moment.

Have the space to store it & buckets etc.

Traded off some buckets last move, towards projectiles IIRC.

So in short, will have cash & trade value. Re-use value as well, should you all consider reloading down the road at some point. An interesting hobby in and of itself, as well as allowing for continued shooting, shooting better rounds etc etc.
In Colorado you could turn in brass to be recycled that was until someone turned in a bunch of live ammo and that was the end of that lol

I buy brass the more the better. Dirty and unsorted is fine but I don't want a lot of trash, aluminum or steel cases. I pay $2.00/lb and do trade and barter.
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an ammunition manufacturer and will sort, clean, inspect and then make good ammo at a fair price. By using the range pickup brass it helps keep the price reasonable.

Last Edited:
I pick up my once fired brass just to give it away. Range brass is a little different since without close inspection hard to tell if it's what I would call "safe". Given what scrap goes for now I can't see how it would not be worth cleaning it up. They make a wire rolling deal made to pick nuts up off the ground that looks to work great for brass. You roll it along and the brass gets picked up in it. Beats hell out of bending over to pick the damn stuff up one at a time.

I'd saved mine for a better part of 20+ years and I'm glad I did because I traded a lot it for reloading stuff to get started. I had buckets full of once fired 30-30, 30-06, 9mm, 38 and two buckets of mixed brass of all sorts from others who didn't want it...

1. Leave it where it lay.
  2. Leave it, let some boyscout troop collect it and take the deduction
  3. Leave it, let the potato heads learn frugality. They can sell for scrap, sell to reloaders, take up reloading, or learn investment casting.
  4. Pick up and sell or scrap
  5. Pick up and pay it forward.

Having sold about $3K worth of range pickup brass to @oremike the last few years I would say it's worth picking up!! One of our club members refers to brass scrounging as "Picking up nickels." That's really quite apt.

Thanks all for the feedback. Much appreciated. Random thoughts, questions, etc.:

• How important would it be to sort by caliber? Dumping empties into one gigantic, secured, and lined can is easy. Keeping multiple ones up there, covered, and it not turning into a mess during crap weather time would be a PITA. (Tried something like that years ago; gave up.)
  • If I knew someone close that reloaded, giving it away would be a no-brainer. Curiously, even though all of my siblings (five of them), my parents, my parents-in-laws, multiple cousins, my boss, and a bunch of other people in my life shoot, none, as far as I know, reload anything.
  • Selling the bulk brass is an interesting thing. Before we gave up on the local range, I know they periodically collected it and sold for scrap to bring in some money for the club. I have no idea if depriming is required and that would be an extra step.
  • No one should be up there on the home range as it is private land. That doesn't stop jackasses from trespassing, but they don't appear to pickup brass, as far as I can see.
  • Reloading makes sense and I have a lot of respect for those that have mastered said art. Sans very different life circumstances, however, I'm just never going to get into it. Too slammed for time to dedicate much time to shoot, declining interest in it all in general, and reloading doesn't hold enough interest to overcome the time and space barriers. (If something really sparks my interest, I plow time and resources into said and handle whatever regulatory BS is necessary to stay within the law if it is NFA, etc. But I have to pick and choose those these days, firearms or otherwise.)
Anywho, thanks much. :)

Thanks all for the feedback. Much appreciated. Random thoughts, questions, etc.:

• How important would it be to sort by caliber? Dumping empties into one gigantic, secured, and lined can is easy.
Anywho, thanks much. :)
Just make sure you can move it when it's full, sure dont want to have to scoop it back out when it comes time to get rid of. I have seen many times someone here posting up buckets of mixed brass for sale and you would definitely get more than scrap price, even without doing anything more like sorting.

I would. At the very least, you will clean the area up. The brass you could give away, unprocessed, ie. dirty unsorted. Or if you want lunch money, put it in a bucket and some dish soap then sell it to a recycler. For dinner money, sort, clean and sell.

Would there be any point to someone who does not reload saving once-fired brass? I was up at the home range today shooting a little. That particular patch is, quite literally, littered with brass casings of every sort; from common to oddball. Considering all the brouhaha surrounding ammo these days I was wondering if it would be worth the time and bother to save spent shells to give away or resell.

Thoughts?
I give my expended .223 brass to my neighbor who reloads.

Thoughts?
I would like these if you are interested in giving it to someone. 360-553-2940 Vancouver Hazel Dell area.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top