JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, about two weeks ago I drop kicked alcohol out of my life. Loving it so far; more energy, more time, better sleep, more money, and wonderful results at the gym. While I don't miss it, I have been drinking red wine since a very young age (cultural/family thing, long story), so that aspect is kind of different in terms of habits, and pairing said with a meal.

Out of morbid curiosity I tried California Vineyards "Fre", which is a non-booze Merlot. I had it today at the lunch hour and, how do I put this delicately, it tastes like what I'd imagine a combination of dollar store grape juice mixed with toilet water would be like.

Thus the question: is there a non-crap, no-alcoholic wine? I used to drink mainly Merlot, Pinot Noir, and Sangría. If not, no big whoop, because habits can change. Thanks. :)

Thanks for blazing that trail for the rest of us. (we'll watch...). Perhaps just consider switching to fruit juices altogether? It would probably be higher in sugar content though.
I wouldn't mind trying some non-alcholic wine. Now that you planted that seed I may grab some if I see it. But will they charge more because it's a boutique item? I like my wines. I used to be into the reds but these days I find them a bit heavy. Sauvignon Blanc is what I seek out lately. I also like making my own celery juice.

I ditched the sauce almost 9 months ago. I didn't try to find any kind of "analogue" or otherwise.

@CountryGent sometimes just completely breaking habits isn't a bad thing. :)

So, about two weeks ago I drop kicked alcohol out of my life. Loving it so far; more energy, more time, better sleep, more money, and wonderful results at the gym. While I don't miss it, I have been drinking red wine since a very young age (cultural/family thing, long story), so that aspect is kind of different in terms of habits, and pairing said with a meal.

Out of morbid curiosity I tried California Vineyards "Fre", which is a non-booze Merlot. I had it today at the lunch hour and, how do I put this delicately, it tastes like what I'd imagine a combination of dollar store grape juice mixed with toilet water would be like.

Thus the question: is there a non-crap, no-alcoholic wine? I used to drink mainly Merlot, Pinot Noir, and Sangría. If not, no big whoop, because habits can change. Thanks. :)
When I quit the sauce, I found that I had to change my habits/routine as well. Ended up drinking a lot more Iced tea for a while. Now I keep flavored vinegars, syrups and seltzer water to make "mocktails" that are flavored to compliment the meal. My favorite is an espresso hazelnut "soda" with any fish I'm eating.

Thanks for blazing that trail for the rest of us. (we'll watch...). Perhaps just consider switching to fruit juices altogether? It would probably be higher in sugar content though.
I wouldn't mind trying some non-alcholic wine. Now that you planted that seed I may grab some if I see it. But will they charge more because it's a boutique item? I like my wines. I used to be into the reds but these days I find them a bit heavy. Sauvignon Blanc is what I seek out lately. I also like making my own celery juice.

I was actually surprised a ton of options for non-alcoholic wines. After today's foray, I won't likely bother much, if at all, with them. LOL, this crap was truly ghastly.

As to blazing a trail, I don't know about that. I just know it was time to move on.

@CountryGent sometimes just completely breaking habits isn't a bad thing. :)

Indeed. Don't need it and therefore don't really care. Just curious more than anything. The results of going dry have been most joyous. :)

When I quit the sauce, I found that I had to change my habits/routine as well. Ended up drinking a lot more Iced tea for a while. Now I keep flavored vinegars, syrups and seltzer water to make "mocktails" that are flavored to compliment the meal. My favorite is an espresso hazelnut "soda" with any fish I'm eating.

I'm doing more caffeine (mainly coffee and Assam tea, with no sugar or junk added) which is tasty and fun because it increases productivity even more. Doing some fruit juices, but not a lot, because of the sugar content. Though I did pickup a juicer to make my own mixes. That and whey protein shakes mixed with fresh fruit has been good for recovery from working out. But I've meandered off enough.

Thanks all that replied. :s0155:

I think often it is better to find something to full the gap, but not replace what you quit. Nothing is going to be a decent alcohol free substitute. It will just feel disappointing. it is probably better to find something totally different that you also like to fill the gap.

Some suggestions:
Soda pop
Plain water
crack
sparkling water
smoking
bubble tea
coffee
tea
meth

I mean some options are better than others, but you get the idea.

I think often it is better to find something to full the gap, but not replace what you quit. Nothing is going to be a decent alcohol free substitute. It will just feel disappointing. it is probably better to find something totally different that you also like to fill the gap.

Some suggestions:
Soda pop
Plain water
crack
sparkling water
smoking
bubble tea
coffee
tea
meth

I mean some options are better than others, but you get the idea.

LOL. I like how such destructive things as "soda pop", "crack", and "meth" are in the list. As to smoking, no way José to coffin nails, but I do enjoy the occasional fine cigar. :s0112:

So, the sheer volume of non-alcoholic beer that is available now is crazy, but when I was looking for it...not so much. My wife and I had gone to Finland and found that they had aisles upon aisles of non-alcoholic beer and wine. I'll see if I can dig up the pictures we took.

So, when we got back to the States, I went looking for the stuff we had seen. What I found was a really awesome wine-shop owner at Park Avenue Wines (Park Avenue Wines - Portland's Premier Wine Shop) who offered to order in whatever I wanted (as long as I bought by the case)!

I know it is not exactly next door to you, but maybe there's a shop owner closer. My point is: you may not find much variety locally...but good stuff does exist. Just got to find a way to get it.

Make spiced wine and let it sit on the stove for bit longer to boil off the alcohol.

I put together my own mulling spice blend and spiced wine turns out amazing. Also do spiced mead and cider.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top