JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have looked everywhere I can think of and just can not find any stamps indicating what kind of fixed choke this barrel is.

It has the 2 3/4" shell markings and FA for the year (1981) as well as open sight with adjustable elevation on the back sight.

Also has the REP proof stamp but no choke marks I can find.

Being a 20" barrel and a police trade in I ASSUME it is a full cylinder but I am head over heals about this shotgun and do not want to send a slug thru it and damage it in any way.

The outside has 'character' but the bore looks brand new as well as having a nice crisp trigger.

I've been reading on the internet for a couple of days and can not find any posts on any forums that agree on this.

Should I disassemble a slug round and see if it will fit in the end of the barrel? Is there a measurement that can be done to detirmine the size of the fixed choke?

Should I just take it to a gun smith and have them check it out for me?

Ideas would be appreciated - im going nuts with all of the differing info on the net about it.

Thanks!

IMG_1938.JPG

I have looked everywhere I can think of and just can not find any stamps indicating what kind of fixed choke this barrel is.

It has the 2 3/4" shell markings and FA for the year (1981) as well as open sight with adjustable elevation on the back sight.

Also has the REP proof stamp but no choke marks I can find.

Being a 20" barrel and a police trade in I ASSUME it is a full cylinder but I am head over heals about this shotgun and do not want to send a slug thru it and damage it in any way.

The outside has 'character' but the bore looks brand new as well as having a nice crisp trigger.

I've been reading on the internet for a couple of days and can not find any posts on any forums that agree on this.

Should I disassemble a slug round and see if it will fit in the end of the barrel? Is there a measurement that can be done to detirmine the size of the fixed choke?

Should I just take it to a gun smith and have them check it out for me?

Ideas would be appreciated - im going nuts with all of the differing info on the net about it.

Thanks!

View attachment 389078

Damn nice looking shotgun. Set up like that I am sure your are going to find its cylinder.

Very nice shotgun.

On a related note, after a 7 year lay off, I recently decided to try shooting some 00 and slugs out of my 870... just for "fun". Boy what a rude awakening. My shoulder is still sore a day later! I used to be really good at shotgun, and now I'm a wimp.. lol, too much time spent shooting AR's.

Very nice shotgun.

On a related note, after a 7 year lay off, I recently decided to try shooting some 00 and slugs out of my 870... just for "fun". Boy what a rude awakening. My shoulder is still sore a day later! I used to be really good at shotgun, and now I'm a wimp.. lol, too much time spent shooting AR's.
Yea, that's the thing.. most people "practice" with dove loads since they are the cheapest thing one can lay hands on.
Standard buck and slug kick a whole lot more.

Joe if you need shells let me know I have all the ones I bougt from caveman. Be happy to pass a box or three forward;):)

I'll take you up when we go do some mag dumps at the pit!

That back sight is adjustable for elevation so I'd like to see where it's at and if I need to move it any.

I'm not with the gun now but I'd say you could almost fit a quarter in the barrel and for sure a nickel.

Thanks for the reference:cool:

And the last fish I caught seemed bigger than it actually measured too! (but it put up a good fight)

If you can drop a quarter, or even a nickel down the barrel, you won't see me squeezing the trigger:eek: or likely even able to heft it. o_O

By the bye, I have a Springfield by J Stevens Arms 12 ga single shot with a fixed full choke (.697) that has been my truck gun for as long as I can remember which has shot hundreds of slugs without incident and with some accuracy (50 to 75 yards)
st12.jpg
disclaimer: I assume, it is facilitated by the plastic encasement. Nonetheless, I don't know if that is recommended as safe, and also don't know if a removable choke changes things, but it works for me.

And the last fish I caught seemed bigger than it actually measured too! (but it put up a good fight)

If you can drop a quarter, or even a nickel down the barrel, you won't see me squeezing the trigger:eek: or likely even able to heft it. o_O

By the bye, I have a Springfield by J Stevens Arms 12 ga single shot with a fixed full choke (.697) that has been my truck gun for as long as I can remember which has shot hundreds of slugs without incident and with some accuracy (50 to 75 yards)
View attachment 389167
disclaimer: I assume, it is facilitated by the plastic encasement. Nonetheless, I don't know if that is recommended as safe, and also don't know if a removable choke changes things, but it works for me.

I have a good friend a mile from me that has good calipers, it's just a matter of getting over there in the next few days - he just got back from a trip.

And yea, I'm sure it's a plain Jane 12ga but it seems huge with the extended mag tube and shell holder bolted into the receiver.

My 30" pump with adjustable choke seems lighter then this monster lol;)

Yea, that's the thing.. most people "practice" with dove loads since they are the cheapest thing one can lay hands on.
Standard buck and slug kick a whole lot more.

Reminds me of a time in the early 70's I took a friend of mine shooting. Went through the safety drill with him and how to properly hold the shotgun and .22 rifle we were shooting. I kept telling him to hold the shotgun tight. He wasn't doing it and we were shooting dove loads. I slipped in a magnum and he about fell over backwards. A dirty trick, yes it was but I was trying to teach him how to shoot right, just as my dad a WW2 Marine had taught me.

I have a good friend a mile from me that has good calipers, it's just a matter of getting over there in the next few days - he just got back from a trip.

And yea, I'm sure it's a plain Jane 12ga but it seems huge with the extended mag tube and shell holder bolted into the receiver.

My 30" pump with adjustable choke seems lighter then this monster lol;)
You'll learn to appreciate the extra weight shooting slugs;). Nice looking scattergun:).

Last Edited:
Reminds me of a time in the early 70's I took a friend of mine shooting. Went through the safety drill with him and how to properly hold the shotgun and .22 rifle we were shooting. I kept telling him to hold the shotgun tight. He wasn't doing it and we were shooting dove loads. I slipped in a magnum and he about fell over
backwards. A dirty trick, yes it was but I was trying to teach him how to shoot right, just as my dad a WW2 Marine had taught me.

I used to pull a similar trick, although just to be an bubblegum (Only thing I was trying to teach was not to trust me I suppose)

I had two identical Lone Eagle single shot pistols. One in .308 and the other in .223. I would have guys shoot them supine silhouette style and have them hand the pistol back to me for loading.... After about 4 shots with the .223 I would load and hand them the .308 without saying anything...

Dirty trick but a lot of fun (for me) :D

No caliper? use a dime

No choke;
drop on through
Modified choke; almost perfect fit
Improved; tries to enter but too tight
Full; No go

This makes no sense. A Modified choke is tighter than an Improved cylinder choke. There are also a few other chokes but I won't go into that. To the OP. You can shoot slugs through a full choke but will lose accuracy and may get some leading but you won't hurt your shotgun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top