JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oh, the hypocrisy!

Foul Play for Gun Dealer?
March 9, 2010 - 10:02 AM | by: Rick Folbaum
The local baseball league might not want Matt Carmel's money. But he's found a league that does. After the South Orange-Maplewood Baseball Committee turned down Carmel's $300 check to sponsor a team, the nearby Morris Rugby Football club said "We'll take that." And so now, there will be a local rugby team called Constitution Arms, the name of Carmel's gun dealership.

The baseball committee rejected Carmel's sponsorship application, without giving him a reason why. But one of the committee members tells Fox News he voted against it because he was "certain that...it would generate controversy." Craig Gruber, who's been on the committee for 7 years told us, "We are a group of volunteers and quite frankly, we have our hands full running the league and deciding things like whether or not the infield fly rule should apply to 9 year olds."

But Matt Carmel says that's not fair. He says people have an irrational fear of guns and that besides, the league allows local wine stores to sponsor teams. He also points to another approved sponsor, a chicken restaurant called Cluck U, as being objectionable considering its risqué advertising campaign and name.

But the baseball league says it has broad authority to reject potential sponsors based on the well being of the kids who play. And the league just didn't think a gun dealer was an appropriate sponsor. They tried to negotiate with Carmel to have remove the word "Arms" from his application, but that wasn't good enough for him. Besides, he says, he's selling legal products.

"I want to be able to sponsor and have people understand firearms and get some business from it. Obviously, profit is not a dirty word. I don't know that I will get a lot of business from it. But I want to advocate and agitate for the 2nd amendment," Carmel told Fox News.

Well, he's certainly agitating people in this upscale New Jersey suburb, though perhaps not in the way he intended. Maybe if the Constitution Arms rugby team has a championship season, other teams will petition to allow Carmel to sponsor them next season.

When my kids played ball they had multiple sponsors, usually only one was on the t-shirt, yet they were all mentioned in publications. I say start small and work your way up; it's for the kids not their closed-minded parents and club officials.

Amazing how guns have become erased out of our culture...

Honestly - I think they're finally making a comeback - the last 6 to 8 years have been better than probably the previous 2 decades...

1994 proved that motivated firearm owners could make a difference.

Honestly - I think they're finally making a comeback - the last 6 to 8 years have been better than probably the previous 2 decades...

1994 proved that motivated firearm owners could make a difference.

I can agree to that...but a lot of people think that anyone who owns a gun is automatically a serial killing psychopath waiting to explode. People in California, Chicago, and New Jersey honestly think that they are better off living in "Gun Free Zones". That, of course, is until they become victims themselves....then they blame the police for not responding in time and the government for not doing enough to "get the guns off the streets."

So the cycle gets bigger and bigger....legislators that actually want to restrict guns because their public demands it try do other things like restrict ammunition, gun shows, callibers, instil waiting periods and purchasing limits. Sure, there is a lot of money to be made from their lobbyists, but there are a lot of people that actually believes in their heart that they are doing the right thing.

It kinda reminds me of the guys that "drank the cool-aid" to hop on the comet to another world (hence the sarcastic term commonly used). People believe this stuff, donate their hard earned money to the Brady Campaign just to fight against the NRA.

*sigh*

And of course with mass amounts of money comes mass amounts of corruption. People start making up statistics and grossly exhageratting circumstances. Then comes your terms like "Assault Weapon" and "High Powered Rifle" with a "High Capacity Magazine". Where does it end? Obviously throwing more money at the problem solves nothing and instead creates more corruption...even the other side (yes, the NRA) will exhagerate their own causes and demand money to fight against bills that they know won't even make it to be reviewed in the Senate.

So who wins? They do....the one's we donate to. We, the donaters, loose because both the NRA and the Brady Campaign see this as a business opportunity and nothing more.

We're nothing but a bunch of dollar bills to them.

Sorry for getting off topic...I just see this as an uphill battle for gun owners. I mean, we have this document called the Constitution, right? And this document says that nobody is above it, not even the states (unless they seperate themselves per the 14th Amendment). Yet all I see are new laws being generated to restrict gun ownership. Sure, D.C. vs. Heller came through....but how many CCW permits have been issued in D.C. since then? Not a one...so I guess there is someone above the Constitution that nobody has done anything about to stop yet...and I guess we won't because we'll always be stuck in this complicated mess of laws and bills and arguements over something that is already written in stone!

Blah....I'm going to get off my high horse now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top