JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My neighbor was cleaning out his grandmother's attic and found about a dozen Oregonian newspapers from June 1931. He was going to throw them away, but asked if I wanted them since I'm a history type of person. I absolutely took them. Following are just a few excerpts that I thought might be interesting for NWFA members, especially those who grew up here in the Pacific Northwest. It may also interest you that the size of these Oregonian newspapers are enormous by today's standards: 16 3/4 inches wide by 22 7/8 inches tall, and the type is actually smaller (maybe 9 point font). Enjoy!

Oregonian, June 8, 1931: "City pays homage to flower queen. She received her first official tribute of the season yesterday afternoon when thousands of those who annually become her willing subjects thronged to the Washington park garden theater. Rosarians marched, school children danced, and city officials participated."

Oregonian, June 11, 1931: "Ring injuries fatal to Vancouver boxer. Stanley Sargant, middleweight boxer, dies at 1:25 p.m. yesterday as result of knockout. Peter Meyers of San Francisco ordered to remain in city until after inquest."

Oregonian, June 14, 1931: "East side, west side, all about town citizens join in St. Johns Bridge celebration. Queen Rachel I of Rosaria clipped the silken ribbon across the east portal of the $4,000,000 St. Johns Bridge following dedicatory exercises. Tusko, famous elephant, marched in the parade across the bridge along with the Jefferson High School band on a 40-foot trailer to supply music."

Oregonian, June 15, 1931 (photo caption): "Portland Gun Club wins Oregonian Cup. The fair nimrod on the right is Mrs. Eddie Bauer, Seattle, one of the country's outstanding women shooters."

Oregonian, June 15, 1931: "Placing of honey in automobile radiators is suggested by the agriculture department. It said honey provided a good antifreeze solution in winter and helped keep the radiator cool in summer."

Oregonian, June 15, 1931: "A call to American industrialists to consider the feasibility of formulating a 'warm-blooded ten-year plan of democratic idealism' to meet the 'cold-blooded communist five-year plan' was issued today by James W. Gerard, chairman of the commission on industrial inquiry of the National Civic Federation."

Oregonian, June 16, 1931: "The state game commission yesterday definitely voted to retain its offices in Portland, instead of moving to Salem, and heard a request from eastern Oregon representatives that the attention of the federal government be called to the possibilities of a national park in Lake and Harney counties."

Oregonian, June 18, 1931: "Pioneers of the Oregon country vindicated in treatment of Indians in speech to Veterans by Leslie M. Scott, Oregon historian. 'Oregon pioneers did the best they could to protect their homes and families against the savage foe.' "

Oregonian, June 18, 1931: "Robert Gordon Duncan, 60, self-styled 'Oregon Wildcat' whose vitriolic attacks upon individuals and institutions over radio station KVEP a year ago, yesterday was committed to the county jail to begin serving a six months' sentence imposed in addition to a fine of $500."

Oregonian, June 18, 1931: "Law enforcement officers of the federal government were 'astounded' at the proposal of Portland City Commissioner Clyde to prohibit the taking of finger prints for those arrested for misdemeanors."

Oregonian, June 18, 1931, advertisement by John K. Leander Company Studebaker dealer (41st and Sandy Boulevard, Portland): "Studebaker Dictator Eight: $1150. Studebaker Commander Eight: $1585. Studebaker President Eight: $1850. Studebaker Six: $895."

Oregonian, June 23, 1931: "Planes to travel 300 miles an hour, 25 thousand feet up designer declares, with hermetically sealed oxygen-filled cabins for passengers and supercharged motors."

Oregonian, June 23, 1931: "Rum boat seized at Grays Harbor. Carrier and 305 sacks of liquor seized. Value of contraband goods confiscated in three days estimated at $65,000."

Oregonian, June 23, 1931: "Girl sea flier crashes. Ruth Nichols, society aviatrix, smashes plane in landing at St. John, New Brunswick on first leg of proposed flight across Atlantic. Sought to recapture non-refueling endurance honors lost to Americans."

Oregonian, June 27, 1931: "Snake attacks autoist, E. H. Brooks, Hog Creek resident, as it springs from bank and strikes his arm while driving by."

Oregonian, June 27, 1931: "Rain or shine, the Portland Hunt Club will hold its 31st annual spring racing meet at Garden Home today. This yearly display of horsemanship will take place this afternoon regardless of the weather conditions."

And check out this Meier & Frank advertisement for the "New, Easy Washer," a "big value" for only $99.50 (love that manual wringer on top):
1650349738741.png

Last Edited:
My neighbor was cleaning out his grandmother's attic and found about a dozen Oregonian newspapers from June 1931. He was going to throw them away, but asked if I wanted them since I'm a history type of person. I absolutely took them. Following are just a few excerpts that I thought might be interesting for NWFA members, especially those who grew up here in the Pacific Northwest. It may also interest you that the size of these Oregonian newspapers are enormous by today's standards: 16 3/4 inches wide by 22 7/8 inches tall, and the type is actually smaller (maybe 9 point font). Enjoy!

Oregonian, June 8, 1931: "City pays homage to flower queen. She received her first official tribute of the season yesterday afternoon when thousands of those who annually become her willing subjects thronged to the Washington park garden theater. Rosarians marched, school children danced, and city officials participated."

Oregonian, June 11, 1931: "Ring injuries fatal to Vancouver boxer. Stanley Sargant, middleweight boxer, dies at 1:25 p.m. yesterday as result of knockout. Peter Meyers of San Francisco ordered to remain in city until after inquest."

Oregonian, June 14, 1931: "East side, west side, all about town citizens join in St. Johns Bridge celebration. Queen Rachel I of Rosaria clipped the silken ribbon across the east portal of the $4,000,000 St. Johns Bridge following dedicatory exercises. Tusko, famous elephant, marched in the parade across the bridge along with the Jefferson High School band on a 40-foot trailer to supply music."

Oregonian, June 15, 1931 (photo caption): "Portland Gun Club wins Oregonian Cup. The fair nimrod on the right is Mrs. Eddie Bauer, Seattle, one of the country's outstanding women shooters."

Oregonian, June 15, 1931: "Placing of honey in automobile radiators is suggested by the agriculture department. It said honey provided a good antifreeze solution in winter and helped keep the radiator cool in summer."

Oregonian, June 15, 1931: "A call to American industrialists to consider the feasibility of formulating a 'warm-blooded ten-year plan of democratic idealism' to meet the 'cold-blooded communist five-year plan' was issued today by James W. Gerard, chairman of the commission on industrial inquiry of the National Civic Federation."

Oregonian, June 16, 1931: "The state game commission yesterday definitely voted to retain its offices in Portland, instead of moving to Salem, and heard a request from eastern Oregon representatives that the attention of the federal government be called to the possibilities of a national park in Lake and Harney counties."

Oregonian, June 18, 1931: "Pioneers of the Oregon country vindicated in treatment of Indians in speech to Veterans by Leslie M. Scott, Oregon historian. 'Oregon pioneers did the best they could to protect their homes and families against the savage foe.' "

Oregonian, June 18, 1931: "Robert Gordon Duncan, 60, self-styled 'Oregon Wildcat' whose vitriolic attacks upon individuals and institutions over radio station KVEP a year ago, yesterday was committed to the county jail to begin serving a six months' sentence imposed in addition to a fine of $500."

Oregonian, June 18, 1931: "Law enforcement officers of the federal government were 'astounded' at the proposal of Portland City Commissioner Clyde to prohibit the taking of finger prints for those arrested for misdemeanors."

Oregonian, June 18, 1931, advertisement by John K. Leander Company Studebaker dealer (41st and Sandy Boulevard, Portland): "Studebaker Dictator Eight: $1150. Studebaker Commander Eight: $1585. Studebaker President Eight: $1850. Studebaker Six: $895."

Oregonian, June 23, 1931: "Planes to travel 300 miles an hour, 25 thousand feet up designer declares, with hermetically sealed oxygen-filled cabins for passengers and supercharged motors."

Oregonian, June 23, 1931: "Rum boat seized at Grays Harbor. Carrier and 305 sacks of liquor seized. Value of contraband goods confiscated in three days estimated at $65,000."

Oregonian, June 23, 1931: "Girl sea flier crashes. Ruth Nichols, society aviatrix, smashes plan in landing at St. John, New Brunswick on first leg of proposed flight across Atlantic. Sought to recapture non-refueling endurance honors lost to Americans."

Oregonian, June 27, 1931: "Snake attacks autoist, E. H. Brooks, Hog Creek resident, as it springs from bank and strikes his arm while driving by."

Oregonian, June 27, 1931: "Rain or shine, the Portland Hunt Club will hold its 31st annual spring racing meet at Garden Home today. This yearly display of horsemanship will take place this afternoon regardless of the weather conditions."

And check out this Meier & Frank advertisement for the "New, Easy Washer," a "big value" for only $99.50 (love that manual wringer on top):
View attachment 1180753
That would mean that washer was like paying $1700 for one today.:eek:
Have to guess not many homes had one.

Such amazing and forgotten words...

"Nimrod", "Aviatrix".

Thanks for sharing that.
Yes. I thought "Nimrod" was a kind of an insulting term, but the Oregonian seemed to use it as a term of endearment. Shame on me for being ignorant about that word. And I'd never even heard of Ruth Nichols before, just "aviatrixes" like Amelia Earhart and the unstoppable Beryl Markham. So I looked up some info on her, and Ruth Nichol's bio is pretty danged interesting, including having to bail out of her burning airplane over Louisville, Kentucky. She was also the first woman to pilot an airplane over 1,000 MPH, an air force F-102 in 1958. Apparently all the injuries she sustained from crashes in her younger years caught up with her, and her inability to cope with the severe and constant pain led her to take an overdose of barbiturates at age 59 in 1960.

Yes. I thought "Nimrod" was a kind of an insulting term, but the Oregonian seemed to use it as a term of endearment. Shame on me for being ignorant about that word. And I'd never even heard of Ruth Nichols before, just "aviatrixes" like Amelia Earhart and the unstoppable Beryl Markham. So I looked up some info on her, and Ruth Nichol's bio is pretty danged interesting, including having to bail out of her burning airplane over Louisville, Kentucky. She was also the first woman to pilot an airplane over 1,000 MPH, an air force F-102 in 1958. Apparently all the injuries she sustained from crashes in her younger years caught up with her, and her inability to cope with the severe and constant pain led her to take an overdose of barbiturates at age 59 in 1960.
My thoughts were the same about the word "Nimrod" until you made me look it up. Thank you for that.

Great reading those, thanks for posting. I grew up in N Portland, spent a lot of time at Cathedral Park under the St John's Bridge, and used that bridge countless times when I got older.

The one that really baffled me was the recommendation by the department of agriculture that honey be put in radiators as a form of antifreeze and coolant. Honey? Anyone else ever hear that one before? I'd be curious to see what a mechanic had to say about that recommendation.

The one that really baffled me was the recommendation by the department of agriculture that honey be put in radiators as a form of antifreeze and coolant. Honey? Anyone else ever hear that one before? I'd be curious to see what a mechanic had to say about that recommendation.
Laughed at that one too. IDK, maybe something to it.

"Nimrod", "Aviatrix".

Thanks for sharing that.
I also liked the word "autoist" that was used for the guy who had a snake that sprang from the bank and bit his arm while driving. Sure don't hear "autoist" anymore. BTW, I'd also never heard of Hog Creek, Oregon before. Turns out it's around 10 miles northwest of Grants Pass and 5 miles west of I-5.

"Nimrod", "Aviatrix".

Thanks for sharing that.
We've forgotten nincompoop, and ninny. Highly useful in today's world.

Honey is essentially sugar. Adding that to water raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point. Modern antifreeze/coolant solutions use ethylene glycol to achieve this (it is also sweet tasting, but highly toxic).

A synthetic compound propylene glycol is used for a non toxic antifreeze/de-icer... and also in food, notably Fireball whisky. Propylene glycol does not have as effective heat transmission as ethylene glycol though.

Now you know which antifreeze you can drink lol

-Robert

Last Edited:
We've forgotten nincompoop, and ninny. Highly useful in today's world.

Honey is essentially sugar. Adding that to water raises the boiling point as well as the freezing point. Modern antifreeze/coolant solutions use ethylene glycol to achieve this (it is also sweet tasting, but highly toxic).

A synthetic compound propylene glycol is used for a non toxic antifreeze/de-icer... and also in food, notably Fireball whisky. Propylene glycol does not have as effective heat transmission as ethylene glycol though.

Now you know which antifreeze you can drink lol

-Robert
Thank you SrMachoSolo! How strange that DOA put out that honey recommendation, and I'm glad you refuted it.

Some other popular expressions back around 1931 were "swell" and "twenty-three skidoo." And stores used to sell "sundries" which is a word still used, but seemingly rarely. They used to say "Ameche" which meant to make a phone call, "Batty" meant someone whacko or crazy, and they'd say someone was "beating their gums" when they talked too much. People wearing exaggerated clothing wore "zoot suits" and instead of saying "What's up?" they would say "What's buzzin Cousin?" Loads of colorful slang back then...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top