JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
dumb-and-dumber-cane-fight-o.gif

I like it. But don't want to find myself playing the weapon version of '' Rock, paper, scissors''.

I pull a sword. He pulls a gun.
Gun shoots sword. o_O

You have the scenario all wrong. It is as follows: I pull a sword. I stab him with a sword He/she is severely/mortally injured. I explain to the police how he/she assaulted me.

No "rock, paper, scissors" here, just a preemptive "first strike" when threatened with physical violence of any kind. (I'm a fat, graying, aging man).

I'll be alive to deal with the outcome. I win.

I think I'd like a sword cane as they seem a neat thing to have. I have been thinking of buying one from these folks as they have the best I have yet seen: swordcane.com.

But I don't see how they could be more effective for self defense than a pistol, and I would be concerned about the legality if discovered.

So, like the poster above, if I do get one I think I'd likely keep it at home.

Last Edited:
Having drilled ( parade drill not fighting drill) with swords back in AOCS, I'm not real sure having a couple feet of sharp double edged blade to waive around is a real good idea. Saw enough inadvertent pokes and slices just doing basic salutes and such never mind fighting with them. Unless there's some real world training involved you're likely to end up doing as much damage to yourself as to an attacker.

Having drilled ( parade drill not fighting drill) with swords back in AOCS, I'm not real sure having a couple feet of sharp double edged blade to waive around is a real good idea. Saw enough inadvertent pokes and slices just doing basic salutes and such never mind fighting with them. Unless there's some real world training involved you're likely to end up doing as much damage to yourself as to an attacker.
did any of them die?

No, dull blades. If the Navy were to give sharp objects to officers in training we would never have any officers.

Are you lacking that much in coordination? Let's face it. a lot of the young "men" today think that coordination consists of picking the right colors.

Learning to use a sword is a learned skill It can be accomplished with a bit of *gasp* work and skill. (Be advised, this requires effort). :p

Are you lacking that much in coordination? Let's face it. a lot of the young "men" today think that coordination consists of picking the right colors.

Learning to use a sword is a learned skill It can be accomplished with a bit of *gasp* work and skill. (Be advised, this requires effort). :p

I'll spell it out, that was supposed to be a self effacing joke about Naval Officers. Ha Ha

For the record I'm a retired CDR (NFO), went thru AOCS over 35 years where I was handed over to the Staff Sergeant Wendt, USMC, drill instructor. There was nothing in the program about what color panties to wear. That would be Air Force boot camp (ha, ha again in case you missed it.)

Your last sentence parrots exactly what I said, you need some TRAINING to use a sword.

I'll spell it out, that was supposed to be a self effacing joke about Naval Officers. Ha Ha

For the record I'm a retired CDR (NFO), went thru AOCS over 35 years where I was handed over to the Staff Sergeant Wendt, USMC, drill instructor. There was nothing in the program about what color panties to wear. That would be Air Force boot camp (ha, ha again in case you missed it.)

Your last sentence parrots exactly what I said, you need some TRAINING to use a sword.

I knew a few Naval Flight Officers that should have been scrubbing heads. I'm certain you know that.

Not sure if that was directed at me personally or not but...

Every large organization has its share of individuals who are a waste of good oxygen. Navy is no exception.

No insult to you personally. I was just an old sailor. I also know how to train and think. I will gain some extra training, and I don't need to be told to do so. My old Modern Arnis training could use an update. A "refresher" is in order (I have already been looking into it).

I have nearly two college degrees that I earned later in life after I left the service, not as some "snot-nosed" youngster. (I was 38 when I finished my B/A spending a total of ten years in college). I had also taken some Tae Kwon Do during that time, so I am not completely uncoordinated. I don't need a lecture about training. I'm not an idiot.

My "Night Watchman" is due on Wednesday. I'll take it to a local Mandrel Bending shop to bob the shaft at 34" and cap it off with a Canex 1" Cane Tip. I have seen another individual on YouTube that placed some hard pink styrofoam in the shaft and it worked fairly well at reducing the impact of the blade against the inside of the scabbard/shaft.

Come April 12th, I'll see how well this plan works out.

My "Night Watchman" arrived today at 10:00 this morning. I promptly took it over to the mandrel bending shop and they cut nearly five inches from the shaft/scabbard. The "foam" buffer that protects the blade was shortened along with it. After that had been accomplished I with to Walgreens and bought a 4-pack of 1-inch diameter "Essential" brand Walker/Commode tips for $6.79. These fit the cane perfectly! The blade doesn't "rattle" inside the shaft/scabbard and won't dull the SK5 (1080 Chromium/Vanadium) Carbon Steel.

Granted, the blade is made in China, but it is of good quality and is strong enough to chop through 1 1/2" green Blackberry vines. There's a Youtube Video showing a man using the Night Watchman to cut through these and harvesting Brussel Sprouts. If I keep it periodically lubed and honed, this sword can be used for more than defending myself, but to cut down thick brush and small branches.

With either my United Defense Self-Defense Cane or my "Night Watchman" (with it's spun aircraft aluminum shaft) can be used as and impact weapon as well. The "Night Watchman" isn't a "one trick pony" but fills the role as a walking aid, impact weapon, and 25" razor-sharp sword. If you need a "grass whip" it can fill that role too.

I am really enjoying the "Night Watchman". It can be a good friend when no one else is there to lend a hand.

You might want to look into one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads