JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

I would like to know if any of you are familiar with the modern Browning BAR rifles. This type of rifle seems to be very popular in Europe. I see them in European YouTube hunting videos very often.

I know some people think that the older ones, built in Belgium, are better. Maybe so, although for sure are so much heavier. I am considering getting one on the new ones, with alloy receiver and plastic stock. I don't find much info available about them.

Hopefully you can give me some feedback about this firearm. Do you own one? Have you shot one? How hard is it to clean them?

I look forward to your reply. Thanks for your interest.

Oscar:)

I have an FNAR which is a variation of that gun, with larger magazines. They are a bear to disassemble but the upside is that you don't have to clean it much due to the piston design - stays pretty clean. Just run a patch down the barrel (use the Otis system so you don't have to go from the muzzle). Take the fore end off and just spray lubricant in here and there without taking the gun apart. It should be rare that you need a complete disassembly, unless you are one of those guys who go through thousands of rounds in a month.

There are youtubes that show FNAR (and probably BAR) disassembly.

I wouldn't get a heavy all steel gun. Why haul that weight around? The gun shoots soft even with the lighter weight. It's very accurate too.

This is the FNAR I am interested in:
https://www.fnamerica.com/products/autoloading-rifles/fnar-competition/

The BAR 2 ? or the newer Long and short tracks ? I think they still use the same gas system . basically a upgraded version of the old rifle which is a good thing.

I have owned 2 browning BARs the BAR1 and BAR2 very smooth and reliable ( always let the bolt fly if you walk it with your hand it may not fire) Both made from Belgium parts.
I don't think they are any better because they are Belgium made just something the snobs like to say.

I found that both were very ammo sensitive as far as accuracy if you read the forums regarding Browning bars you'll see that others had issues to . Its probably just a matter of finding the right ammo for them. Mine did not like core locks but loved partitions.

The wood ones are beautiful rifles you will get a lot of compliments from other hunters and shooters I know I did . the synthetic is just lighter . usually means more felt recoil how ever the browning does not kick very hard at all vs a bolt action.

I shot mine against my brothers Remington 7400 and the Remington shot a much tighter group using core locks I got a one inch group out of it and then i got 2 that were a inch apart of the browning before they started going all over the paper . I don't think they handle heat well I know they were easier to zero when it was really cold out side vs trying to zero then in sept while it was still hot.

I am not a big fan of the lightweight Stalker model. I am a fan of the pre 1986 models that are all steel and wood. Much better overall quality, and made in Belgium. Well later model BAR's are also all steel, but the parts are lessor quality. But they still shoot pretty well!
I have an older one in 300 win mag and have put a few thousand rounds thru it. Clean it every 100 rounds or so. Pretty easy to clean. Only thing I have ever replaced was the rubber buffer. I just had one in the shop, a Stalker model. It has been hunted with for a couple years. Shot it when it was dirty, and grit was inside. It had some bad galling in the aluminum, spots where it has worn clear thru the anodized finish inside.
The fellow was use to shooting his old BAR, well the newer ones need a little more TLC.

Nothing wrong with the new lightweight model, just keep them clean!
They are pretty simple to do a complete disassemble on. After you do it a few times its easy.

oh and another note

my older one with a steel receiver with blue finish even though over many years of rough hunting was very durable.

The aluminum receiver on the second one got a nasty scratch on that stuck out like a sore thumb on my first year hunting with it . Not really a big issue to as my hunting rifles are tools however something to note aluminum is not as durable as steel

As far as I have seen yep! Only trouble I had with my .300 Win mag, was when I was reloading for it. It didn't like some of the lighter loads I was trying. That was easily cured by giving it a few more grains of powder!

My stepdad has one in 30-06 he let me use my first couple years of hunting.
That is one sweet rifle. I was hoping he forgot that he let me borrow it.
It's an older model, but I man it shoots like a dream.

Thanks for the info. I think there is more info in this thread than I found so far in YouTube and elsewhere.

The thing for me is to get something that is not ammo picky. For me a firearm needs to eat any ammo as long is the right caliber. If I need to be concerned about brands, brass or steel, pressure or bullet weight, that is an issue. All those are things that come up with semi auto guns.

Any more feedback for sure will be appreciated. Thank for all the feedback so far received. Thanks for all future info you may have.:)

I have an older BAR in .300 Win Mag, works great, taken a number of elk but now it's retired. While I like it, I never got great accuracy out of it, plenty acceptable for hunting within 300 yds. As a timber hunter and a walker packing that thing got old. It's a lot of gun, at the time also had a .300 Win M77 with a paddle stock. That gun shot much better, was stainless, handled better for me and was a couple pounds lighter. It was also more durable, packing the BAR around I would get bothered by nicks and dings, had to be careful with it in the truck and it was a little finicky going into battery if it got dirty. Now I carry a Rem 700 VTR in .338 RUM w/a Leupold VXR, also heavy but the weight is distributed a little better. They're good guns, just not a great hunting platform for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top