JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought my first ever AR-15, a S&W MP15. If I were interested in shooting an AR-10, would it simply be a matter of attaching a complete AR-10 upper to the lower of my gun and then using an AR-10 magazine? Or do the two guns also use different lowers?

Welcome to the Barbie gun club!

The M&P 15 is a great choice and if you get an AR 10, the M&P 10 is accurate and well respected.

What they all said but if you want to shoot something bigger and more powerfull and still use your lower look into the most popular being a 6.5 grendel, 6.8 Spc, .300 blackout
the 6.5 grendel is probably the closest you'll get to a .308 performance with using An Ar15 lower

If looking to hunt deer with you AR platform
all 3 uppers are good for deer. but your range will be a little more limited with a the .300 blackout.

If looking for range and target shooting shoot stick with the .223 or look into the grendel or 6.8spc2

If hunting elk I would not recommend any of them go up to a Ar10 Lr308 platform or get a hunting rifle.

Oh btw I have a grendel upper for sale in the classifieds ;)

What I would have said has been covered in regards to swapping uppers.

Though IICR there was a single shot upper for a .308, but its not around anymore. But it wouldn't have been worth it even if it was IMO.

Okay, here is question for all of you out there. Is there any difference between manufacurers of AR-15 firing pins?? I've seen stainless pins advertised, but not sure if that is any better than the pin I currently have in my rifle. Just looking to buy some for the future....

Okay, here is question for all of you out there. Is there any difference between manufacurers of AR-15 firing pins?? I've seen stainless pins advertised, but not sure if that is any better than the pin I currently have in my rifle. Just looking to buy some for the future....

I'm sure there are bad ones out there but don't think there are any super super ones, either. I get stainless ones from Curt's because I know he doesn't carry any junk.

Now, ask the same question on AR15.com or m4carbine and I bet there are some out there forged from the heart of a dying sun by an ex SEAL Buddhist monk in a gravity free environment.

I have personally shot 1,000's of rounds thru my ar-15's and had no parts failures, none, zero, nada, if you want to spend money on fancy firing pins, fancy bolts carriers, titanium,anodized,stainless,tungsten,kryptonite,wizz wazz bling,bling, tacticool accessories, its up to you…. but out of the box, stock, ar-15's have always been reliable for me.. that being said, its a good idea to have a repair kit just in case…..;)

Last Edited:
Not look for firing pins made from weapons grade plutonium or anything like that,:rolleyes: just wanted to know if there was a more durable firing pin on the market than what came with my rifle.

I,ve nver been in the military. That said, firing pins? I don't think the round in the chamber gives a scare in the world where it's " let's go" comes from. Ruger pins wll fire every shot. So will smith and wesson,, adding aftermarket is optional and "cool" I,ll stick with old traditional gun makers. You got something new, I,m all for it. Just me.

Not look for firing pins made from weapons grade plutonium or anything like that,:rolleyes: just wanted to know if there was a more durable firing pin on the market than what came with my rifle.

From my understand if you want to see a noticeable increase in the performance of your AR then you should look to invest in the following:

- high quality optic with a quality mount i.e. Leupold, Aimpoint, etc.
- high quality trigger i.e. Geissele, LaRu, etc.
- high quality barrel i.e. PSA CHF, Mega Arms, Rainier, etc.

It's all about marketing and personal preference beyond this. Firing pins only job is to ignite the primer. If it ain't broke don't fix it type of item on the firearm. There are probably stronger ones that may last longer than the stock firing pin. However, if you purchased the rifle built it'll most likely come with a lifetime warranty. If not you could just buy a spare firing pin of decent quality. I think there are some titanium firing pins which are advertised as "better". They may last longer but they're still doing the same thing... Making the primer go boom thus the rest of the powder to follow suit.

Had my M&P 15 for about 8 months....still running flawless!! Not one hickup!..with 4x scope having gun ringing the long distant white steel plate out at Lt Murray with ease!!Have fun and welcome to the AR Family!

I bought my 1st (and only so far) AR15 December 2015 and it's the S&W MP 15 Sport II. I've been very happy with this rifle! Bought a Redfield Counterstrike Red dot/laser for it at the same time, works great (A2 sight blocks laser but I got it for the dot) and reasonably priced. Planning on adding a Leupold scope to it this year as I can get one at a good discount.

I hope you're enjoying your SW Sport as much as I am mine! Sorry I can't help with firing pin options, never considered that but now that you've mentioned it I think having a spare mught be a great idea just in case. I doubt I'll ever need 1, at least I hope not. Just joined this forum today, and am heading out to the range with my AR and couple other guns soon as I post this! Good luck with your new S&W AR15!

If you are concerned about any of parts such as firing pins extractors ect just buy from a name brand manufacturer Colt, bcm, Stag ect. and avoid buying no name parts off ebay as some sellers have snuck in China made parts which quality could be good or bad but unknown as not reputation to protect. Colt and FN set the standards as they are military contractors and every thing has to be made to spec and not just spec as in it will fit but for example the a lot of work goes into something as simple as an extractor as far as heat treating . if its too soft it will tear if its too hard it will crack these manufacturers trow away what is not up to par as they can't risk any going into military rifles.

Most Colt Ar15 parts come off the same assembly lines as the military rifles do so and they can loose a contract or worse by mixing parts.

However there is better quality products on the market now than colt and there are lesser quality at lesser prices that will suite most recreational shooters needs. Simply stating If you gauge your buying on what colt puts into their rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top