JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get a case prep center, an electronic scale/powder feeder. And you can increase your single stage production. Many mfgs produce quality products at reasonable prices.
Or go big with a quality progressive press and a casefeeder just depends on your true expectations and personal budget.

Get a case prep center, an electronic scale/powder feeder. And you can increase your single stage production. Many mfgs produce quality products at reasonable prices.
Or go big with a quality progressive press and a casefeeder just depends on your true expectations and personal budget.
I'd add to that.....And how much you shoot per week/month. Or if you enjoy the loading process as much. or more even, than the unloading process! :) Call me weird, I like the process.

Call me weird, I like the process.
So do I - AND I have never shot at a 'volume' (or a caliber) where I Could ever justify a progressive.

The addition of the Co Ax still gives me a 'hands on' approach to loading and has probably increased my loading speed by close to 50% This was also helped by a few other changes as well such as a hand primer, collet style crimping dies and a dramatic 'epiphany' with using a Lee case trimmer by which I chuck up the cutter in the power source and feed the stationary case onto it as opposed to spinning the case and feeding the cutter into it. Huge improvement.

Also I started loading in 'sequences' where I will pre tumble brass, size and trim (if rifle) and store it until ready for priming, charging and seating bullets.

Last Edited:
Also I started loading in 'sequences' where I will pre tumble brass, size and trim (if rifle) and store it until ready for priming, charging and seating bullets.
This is exactly what im doing right now. I have ALL .38/.357, 6.5grendel, 9mm,10mm,45 and maybe a few others i cant remember done and sitting waiting. 223/556 is a hurdle in and of itself though. Daunting to say the least.

Only thing i will really ad is get yourself a good digital scale and a powder thrower instead and just trickle up by hand. I have a redding 3br rifle mic, and it diales down enough to do pistol just fine. Its a helluva lot faster than waiting for the auto trickler. Its looking like with alot of powders is accurate enough to just throw ALL the cases and then spot check a few. A good thrower is amazingly accurate when setup and used correctly.
They arent that cheap though but will last forever if taken care of.

Only thing i will really ad is get yourself a good digital scale and a powder thrower instead and just trickle up by hand.
No need for a digital scale as I have a good beam scale set at eye level with a hand trickler next to it. I also have two throwers mounted on a swivel stand I made. One is dedicated to Unique powder only as I use a lot of it and the other I keep empty for other powders I use less often. Also my stand is about 12" high so it brings them up close to 'eye level' - very important to keep things up where you can see whats going on rather than looking down at everything.

I am currently experimenting with a funnel mounted on my swivel thrower stand. I'll 'throw' a charge, set it in the scale, and while its settling I'll seat a bullet in the previously charged case and move it to a case block for crimping last.

Back to the scale now settled and I'll trickle top the charge off, pick up a case and put it into the funnel neck and pour the powder in and place the case in the press, set a bullet in the neck, and repeat the process by throwing the next charge. I can average close to three rounds a minute with this system.

No need for a digital scale as I have a good beam scale set at eye level with a hand trickler next to it. I also have two throwers mounted on a swivel stand I made. One is dedicated to Unique powder only as I use a lot of it and the other I keep empty for other powders I use less often. Also my stand is about 12" high so it brings them up close to 'eye level' - very important to keep things up where you can see whats going on rather than looking down at everything.

I am currently experimenting with a funnel mounted on my swivel thrower stand. I'll 'throw' a charge, set it in the scale, and while its settling I'll seat a bullet in the previously charged case and move it to a case block for crimping last.

Back to the scale now settled and I'll trickle top the charge off, pick up a case and put it into the funnel neck and pour the powder in and place the case in the press, set a bullet in the neck, and repeat the process by throwing the next charge. I can average close to three rounds a minute with this system.
I like my beam scale too. A good buddy gave it to me along with a $75 mosin. So it also has sentimental value. And of course i have a backup incase SHTF ;) evert thing i own i want a non power version.
But the digital is instantaneous..
Both are good methods.

I have heard they are sometimes slow to register and inconsistent - which is what turned me away from getting one a few years ago. Also I have read about people reporting failures with them. Maybe I am mistaken but it seems I remember some stuff like this.
Not if you get a good one..
The ones that are the trickler combos arent the best scales at all. There's much better scales out there.

There are things to keep in mind with digital though. Warm them up for a while before use. And radio interference like wifi or cell phone can affect them some more than others.
It is good to be educated about that stuff but that goes for the dispenser combos too.

A good dispenser isn't cheap either. The best ones are home made these days with scientific scale custom arduino or raspberry pies and little steeper motors. Fully programmable for speed etc. Very accurate.
Very enginerdy as well.

829030-95905ee791836b9957aa16e1842bd6dd.png
Those Dillon Men know what they like.

I use them all, I like them all, Because I enjoy them all for different reasons.
Call me weird too I guess because like Mike I enjoy the process...single stage, all hand prep, progressive, all the gadgets....Love em all!!

What do you use? I've been thinking about a rcbs rock chucker.
It's hard to go wrong with a Rockchucker, for a single stage. I've been using mine for over 30 years now, no idea how many thousands of rounds I've loaded on it. I have a case kicker on it and it speeds up the process quite a bit for pistol rounds.

I did pick up a Dillon 550 a few years back. I never would have bought a progressive because I never thought I needed one. I don't compete or generally shoot large volumes of ammo. This press came with a bunch of other gear from an estate and by the time I sorted and parted the other stuff out, it ended up not costing me anything. I do like it, and don't have the patience now to do very many pistol rounds on the single stage any more.

Everyone does it differently, and there's no real "wrong" way to do it. Find what works for you, and you can always upgrade later if your needs change. A Rockchucker is not a bad place to start from where you are now, or any one of a number of other excellent presses.

I do like it, and don't have the patience now to do very many pistol rounds on the single stage any more.
Agreed. I am glad i got my co ax first, you can't go wrong with one. I kinda got it for its durability and simplicity, But i think if i get another (someday) it will be a Dillon or other Automated progressive for pistol stuff. I don't get much joy from reloading pistol.
There is something about hand crafting fine rifle ammo with a single stage though, its weird..

Agreed. I am glad i got my co ax first, you can't go wrong with one.
The only issue I had was with the spring loaded shell holder. Early on I set a die too deep and it made a bit too much contact with the top plate and slightly warped it but I straightened it and all good now.

Also a hint for all CO Ax users - ya know the two little springs inside the shellholder we ALL have sent flying when flipping the jaws around ? Well, put a drop of heavy superglue on the inside ends where they rest in the slot - no more flying springs!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top