JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been reloading now for a little over a 2 years and I have mostly just learned from manuals and YouTube videos threw trial and error and a m&p 9 ez I extractor... wondering if any one has any products they recommend me trying that will stream line my reloading process. I currently use a lee single stage press and for powder charging I use a RCBS chargmaster lite. The scale/ powder dispenser combo. I only reload 9mm and really only make one load because I've honed it in so well. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Dillon 650/750 with case feeder. That should get your round count per hour up pretty good. Even the Dillon 550 would be a good option being a newer reloader you have more hands on in the process and speed up your round count per hour over a single stage.

I've been reloading now for a little over a 2 years and I have mostly just learned from manuals and YouTube videos threw trial and error and a m&p 9 ez I extractor... wondering if any one has any products they recommend me trying that will stream line my reloading process. I currently use a lee single stage press and for powder charging I use a RCBS chargmaster lite. The scale/ powder dispenser combo. I only reload 9mm and really only make one load because I've honed it in so well. Thanks for your advice in advance.

I highly recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press. It's cast iron and works only one round at a time, but is very flexible. In the turret configuration you can easily load 3+ rounds a minute with little effort. I recommend this press as it has fewer moving parts to watch. Coming from a single stage press, that's something to consider. It also sells for about $150.00 which is a very good value. You would need to pick up a powder dispenser to automate but until you did, your powder dispenser would work just fine. It also works well as a single stage press. I do all my development work on it. I have a Dillon 650 and it too works geat, but it's got a lot of movinng pieces to manage and costs alot more. One thing to note is Dillon caliber conversion kits are about $90 each and if you dedicate a tool head that adds another $30-40 to each caliber, not including a powder measure left set up for each caliber (many Dillon loaders do this). The Lee turret tool heads are about $15-18 and you dont need a caliber conversion kit. So it all depends on how much you reload, how much time you have to do so and of course your budget. I don't think the quality of ammo coming off my Dillon is any better than my Lee. It just does it significantly faster. If I could only have one press, I would miss the Dillon case feeder, but I would go with my Lee Classic Turret Press. Lee is selling a new style value turret press. I can't speak to that model, but it is less expensive. An internet search could tell you about that model.

I'm just getting into reloading (yea, worst time possible) but went full tilt w/ a Dillon 750 in 9mm. Now just waiting on primers. If you're mechanically inclined, I dont really think the 750 is a 'bridge too far' but certainly the turret presses are a halfway step between single and progressive. Besides the Lee Classic, you may want to check the ......

Lyman Turret Press
Redding T-7 Press
RCBS Turret

I like the idea of 6+ stations on those two (whether they'd really be used is another question).
I'd look for auto-indexing, powder drop and primer install as step-up features (from what you have).
Personally, I think I'd die of boredom doing 9mm on a single-stage press but everyone has a different
tolerance for that.

As the others have said, the Dillon 550 is also a mid-way machine but yes, setting up a 2nd caliber can get get somewhat expensive (but it depends on how many rounds you want to make) after the caliber kit, powder measure, toolhead. Another choice is the Hornady Lock-n-Load series.

One thing to keep in mind. Whatever press you decide on, it will be a commitment in some proprietary items. Hence, get the one that will give you the ROI, customer service etc. and one that you will be keeping and not changing to another brand. I have a substantial amount of investment in a blue press and it would be 'costly' to switch to another color or the more 'deluxe' version of the blue line. My 'middle' of the road press has worked for me and it (along with others) does the job and provides the ammo I need.

Well seems to me, if your trickling powder on an electronic scale, you could certainly "Streamline" that process with an RCBS Uniflow powder measure with the small, pistol cylinder. A much less expensive streamlining for a start , over dropping bookoo coin on a massive progressive set-up.

Just opinion here op but ask yourself what kind of production do you want to have? If you shoot a lot and can afford and find components the a big producing Dillion machine is what you will end up with.

If you want a good all around machine that makes rifle and handgun ammo then production wise the dillion 550 makes 550 rounds per hour of labor.

If you only load handgun I recomend the dillion square deal, 450 rounds per hour of production and its difficult to screw up because its auto progressive.

Have fun and never reload if you are tired.

I like the precision I get out of my single stage when it doesn't over seat the bullet. I don't shoot competition but my groups are always so accurate with my hand loads. Maybe I'll get a one of those lee turret for presses

Last Edited:
I like the precision I get out of my single stage I don't shoot competition but my groups are always so accurate with my hand loads. Maybe I'll get a one of those lee turret for presses

No no...If you want to play with the big boys you must get a Dillon! Your testosterone levels will surge. Beautiful women will be mysteriously drawn to you! You'll have bathtubs FULL of the highest quality 9mm!

"DILLON! It's what you MUST have!"
;)

No no...If you want to play with the big boys you must get a Dillon! Your testosterone levels will surge. Beautiful women will be mysteriously drawn to you! You'll have bathtubs FULL of the highest quality 9mm!

;)
If you don't like Dillon, maybe the Apex 10 would be a better entry level reloading solution.

Entry level? You see the price on these? Midway has them at $2845.00 and a few others are closing in on 3 grand!

Heck I have been loading over 40 years and still don't have anywhere near that in equipment - and been doing just fine.
What do you use? I've been thinking about a rcbs rock chucker. my single stage lee just has too much play in it. For example I'll be loading 9mm rounds to a c.o.l length of 1.060 and on occasion when I'm checking my rounds with the callipers one will be pressed to like 1.030, I check each round after pressing the bullet into the case just to make sure they are to short or to long.

Entry level? You see the price on these? Midway has them at $2845.00 and a few others are closing in on 3 grand!

Heck I have been loading over 40 years and still don't have anywhere near that in equipment - and been doing just fine.
I was being facetious. Should have said the Mark 7 Revolution at about $10k each.

What do you use?
Well, I started with a RockChucker and used it happily for many years until I decided to step up to something a little more 'streamlined' and was considering a turret but then about this time I was given a bunch of older reloading equipment and part of it was a very nice Bonanza (now Forster) CO Ax press.

After setting it up and using it I decided the Co Ax was a good alternative to a turret. It, along with my Rockchucker which is on the left side of my bench and still gets used for other tasks such as resizing rifle brass, crimping functions etc. Two single stage presses can really speed things up - and the CO Ax is arguably the 'best' single stage press due to it's design and ease of use. It's universal quick change die and shell holder is the 'heart' of it.

HOWEVER - had I NOT got the Co Ax free gratis I would have a turret.

;)
Right on Mike. The Dillon Blue Press is a small sample of the new friends that are attracted to Dillon men.
1622335424104.png
1622335463521.png

Right on Mike. The Dillon Blue Press is a small sample of the new friends that are attracted to Dillon men.
View attachment 894985
View attachment 894986
This is of course the main reason i was drawn to the dark side.
I love my co ax though. Absolutely bomb proof. Will be alive and ticking LONG after the collapse of the western civilization. None small parts to break etc. Nothing.
Very clean too the way it handles spent primers etc.

What do you use? I've been thinking about a rcbs rock chucker. my single stage lee just has too much play in it. For example I'll be loading 9mm rounds to a c.o.l length of 1.060 and on occasion when I'm checking my rounds with the callipers one will be pressed to like 1.030, I check each round after pressing the bullet into the case just to make sure they are to short or to long.
What's most likely happening with your 9mm is that we don't trim cases, so on a longer case, say .007 longer than the case you set your seating depth at, the taper crimp starts crimping sooner on the down stroke. That will stop the seating and you will end up with a longer OAL. Reverse that and set your seating depth on one of the longer cases and you will seat a bit deeper the you wanted. It's a balancing game because of the varying length of the brass. Particularly on 9mm and .40. I trim roll crimped rounds so I get a uniform crimp. I hope that makes sense to you?

I have three different seating depths because of guns with the lands being closer to the chambers. I use Montana Gold JHP bullets and they seem to have a longer bearing surface than your basic FMJs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top