JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am brand new to reloading, I have all the tools i think i need from reading online. i do a lot of hunting with both the 7 rm and the 06 i plan on using a 150 gr bullet. i have not got any powder or bullets yet was hopping to get some info from you guys before i bought them, what is some good hunting bullets and what would be a good powder for both these guns oh and primers. If i could get some of your favorite loads that would help me with a good starting point

thanks for any advise

Buy at least two reloading books from the companies who's bullets you want to us. Personally I use Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, and Speer bullets.

The Nosler Ballistic tip 150 gr is a favorite in -06 as is the Speer 130gr HP (does nasty things to a deer) And the good old Hornady 150gr SP is a fine general purpose bullet. I like both IMR 4895 and Hodgdan Varget in -06 Primers CCI or Winchester mostly.

As to loads get the books.

thanks mark i am going to get a few books just trying to fig out what bullet or books to get. iv seen a lot of good things about the nosler. have you ever used a barnes bullet ? and that IMR 4895 will it work good with the 7 rm some one told me to try the IRM 4350 have you used it before

If you really want accuracy your gonna do a lot of experimenting and probably find each rifle shoots better with more of its own "custom" load. Especially going from 06 to 7mag. Im sure you can do some cross referencing between manuals and find a powder that has loads for each gun. Some powders are made just for magnums and such. Sure they will go bang in anything but how well they do it is another story.

Guns like different food. Say I like remington 700 rifles and from my experience they all shoot hornady bullets and alliant powders good. Little do I know that my 270 actually likes speer bullets and hogdon powder better. While the 7mag really does like the alliant powder and hornady bullets... These are just examples but my point is almost every gun is gonna be different when it comes to tightening groups up. If your just looking for minute of elk rounds then pick your projectile and powder from your manual and load'er up.

Like Mark said get at least 2 manuals and go from there. The best advice you could probably get right now is to get online and out to some stores and get components now. They are already getting scarce in areas and its just gonna get worse for about 6 months. Or thats what it did last election...

Once you figure out what powders will work for your guns buy as much as you can afford at once in 8lb jugs if your wanting real accuracy.

thanks for the advise but im deployed right know cant do the hands on. i have ordered the press and every thing that i need except the bullets, primers, powder and manuals i was going to get those when i get back in a few months so right now im just taking in everyone's opinion on there experienc to give me a good start point

I also use the Ballistic Tip for deer.

I've tried the Barnes bullets a little and wasn't very impressed with them. It's quite possible that I didn't work with them enough, as I've read very good things about them.

I've shot a TON of Hornady bullets. They are a good bullet and are priced fairly.

The IMR powders are great ol' Standbys and will do you well. However, I use RL22 in my 06, but that's with a 180gr bullet. Would probably be a good powder for the 7mm.

I second the notion of buying at least a couple of reloading books, preferably ones from the bullet manufacturer you're using. If you want to use Barnes bullets be sure to get their manual. Because of the difference in the construction of the Barnes bullet, the loading data is unique.

You can also get some data free online from the powder companies. This is a great way to check things out without spending any money!

thanks for the advise but im deployed right know cant do the hands on. i have ordered the press and every thing that i need except the bullets, primers, powder and manuals i was going to get those when i get back in a few months so right now im just taking in everyone's opinion on there experienc to give me a good start point

Good advice by all for loading. I didn't see anyone mention a chronograph and tripod. I hope that made your buy list. I find that to be 100% essential when shooting my loads.

I have no advice on the 7mm, as I don't have one.

For my 03-A3 I have shot Sierra 180 grain boat-tail since they first came out with them. Game King for hunting and Match King for target.

54.5 gr 4350 powder gives me a very accurate load for either hunting or target.

Pops

I second on the advice for a chronograph.

In addition to a pair of manuals, pick up a copy of the Lyman Reloader's Handbook. Also, the Speer manual has a very good treatise on ballistic coefficients.

The Lyman manual is fantastic as it covers a bunch of different bullets in each caliber. I believe mine is the 46th edition. I should have mentioned it before.

While I have owned a chronograph for many years, I'm a little skeptical as to how important it is to a beginning reloader. There is a lot to learn when first starting to reload and I'd suggest that one start low, learn the process and when considering moving up towards maximum, buy one. Plus, there's a fair amount of money required to get started buying the stuff ya need just to get started. But, if money's not an issue, then by all means, buy one now.

When you do buy a chrono, you'll likely learn two things right off of the bat.
#1 the loading manuals seem to have more velocity than your gun does with that load.
#2 the factories sure make consistent ammo!
(at least these are the first 2 things I learned!)

However you go about it, once you start reloading, you'll likely never stop!

Welcome to another level of "Geek-ness"!:s0114::s0114:

no i have not got a chronograph yet what brand do you use dmwebb34 i check out amazon and can get one around a 100 i but dont know what ones would work good the only one i ever used was at a bow shop

I use a F1 model chronograph made by Shooting Chrony. There are other manufactores out there. CED and Oehler off the top of my head.
Amazon.com: Shooting Chrony F-1 Chronograph (green): Sports & Outdoors

Orygun does have good points. There is a ton of learning going for the new reloader. Having and using the chronograph will add an additional layer of complexity. If your plan is to load for accuracy my input would be to start by striving for consistent reloading. Load 10 or 20 rounds where everything is the same (brass, primer, powder, bullet, OAL, etc, etc... List is very long) then go shoot them thru a chronograph. If your velocities vary a lot (say more than +/- 10 fps... ) then something could be inconsistent in the reloading process. Brass trim might not be the same, brass might not be concentric, powder charges might not be all exactly the same, bullet wieght might be inconsistent and the list goes on.

So he is correct it can be overwhelming especially in the beginning. Take your time, go slow and if you don't know ask someone. You will eventually find that process that works for you. I would say that in the beginning I was happy just to see a loaded cartridge pop out of my press. That was a great sense of accomplishment. Then of course shooting that cartridge and not damaging myself and my equipment was my next big reloading accomplishment haha :s0155:

A reloading mentor would be awesome if you can swing that. And/or try to read as much as you can on the topic of precision reloading. That will help get you down the right track from the get go.

Good luck and have fun... Welcome to reloading!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top