JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well..... Today I thought that I had my mind made up on what I was going to do about my purchase. Now I find out that BCM is out of stock on a few of the MAJOR parts to my build and they may not have them back in stock for 6-8 weeks. VERY FRUSTRATING. Dont get me wrong, I understand they are a good company and they are probably very busy but I am just anxious to get this rolling. Its like telling a kid on Christmas Eve that he cant open his gifts tomorrow, he has to wait until Valentines Day. ARRRG! Part of me is just wanting to say screw it and buy the RRA I was initially going to buy.

OK
First I want to thank all the experts that have been helping.I don't know much about these or the metallurgic parts of the gun making industry.(don't know if I want to)
BTW I did go to the M4 forum and they fight over there just like on here.It's great

What I have learned.
I used elitist in an earlier post.I guess this actually means you guys that run thousands of rounds through the ARs,not guys buying "thee most expensive AR" .So I'm useing this as a good term.

Then there is the rest of us.These are the guys that are more than happy with the Rock Rivers and such,middle tier guns.
We won't ever put 10,000 through the guns,so we may never see what will break.
What I have deduced is I would probably be more than happy with a RRA or even a lowly DPMS since I will only shoot it 2 times a month and only,maybe,200 rounds at a time.

I think risking my life on these won't happen anyway,but with proper cleaning and good magazines,it should cycle fine for the usual 5-6 rounds of a gun fight. I won't be engaging anyone over say 50 yards from me,I'll seek cover and wait the 4 minutes for back up.
So MOB(badguy) is sufficient in a regular AR.
The one I am putting together,I want to be a little more accurate but will probably be more than happy with what I get.Hey I can change barrels anyway.

A good trigger/fire control isn't that expensive to forgo,and is important.

And everything I purchase,as someone on M4 said,some other idiot will buy so I can fund better parts.

Now if I do,as some of the real shooters have,start to shoot enough to break parts,then I would start with the higher tier stuff.Just save the money and buy the best.

All in all,most of the real shooters have destroyed ARs and don't like the cheap ones breaking in the middle of matches,so they don't like the middle or lower tier guns.

Again I appreciate all the info and links to the sites. I now know,ahh,have a good idea,as to what I will be buying for my build.

mjbskwim...... What you said above was very well stated and probably fits with most people. I went into this whole thing with the intention to buy a middle of the road gun and ended up on the road to buying a gun that was probably more than I realistically needed. I think I am going to go back to my original idea and stick with what is good for me right now and upgrade as I go. Great post!

OK
First I want to thank all the experts that have been helping.I don't know much about these or the metallurgic parts of the gun making industry.(don't know if I want to)
BTW I did go to the M4 forum and they fight over there just like on here.It's great

What I have learned.
I used elitist in an earlier post.I guess this actually means you guys that run thousands of rounds through the ARs,not guys buying "thee most expensive AR" .So I'm useing this as a good term.

Then there is the rest of us.These are the guys that are more than happy with the Rock Rivers and such,middle tier guns.
We won't ever put 10,000 through the guns,so we may never see what will break.
What I have deduced is I would probably be more than happy with a RRA or even a lowly DPMS since I will only shoot it 2 times a month and only,maybe,200 rounds at a time.

I think risking my life on these won't happen anyway,but with proper cleaning and good magazines,it should cycle fine for the usual 5-6 rounds of a gun fight. I won't be engaging anyone over say 50 yards from me,I'll seek cover and wait the 4 minutes for back up.
So MOB(badguy) is sufficient in a regular AR.
The one I am putting together,I want to be a little more accurate but will probably be more than happy with what I get.Hey I can change barrels anyway.

A good trigger/fire control isn't that expensive to forgo,and is important.

And everything I purchase,as someone on M4 said,some other idiot will buy so I can fund better parts.

Now if I do,as some of the real shooters have,start to shoot enough to break parts,then I would start with the higher tier stuff.Just save the money and buy the best.

All in all,most of the real shooters have destroyed ARs and don't like the cheap ones breaking in the middle of matches,so they don't like the middle or lower tier guns.

Again I appreciate all the info and links to the sites. I now know,ahh,have a good idea,as to what I will be buying for my build.
I think that the important point that I took from this thread is that there is no Consumer Reports for Black Rifle parts and assemblies. It is easy for unscrupulous AR parts suppliers to offer for sale parts of unknown origin to AR enthusiasts.
The "MilSpec Watchdogs" that created "The Chart" and otherwise torture-test these components and hold manufacturer's feet to the fire are the only regulating authority that I know of that matters in this arena.

The MilSpec Watchdogs have shown me that in many (most) cases, parts that meet or exceed Military Specifications can be purchased for the same price as the "other" stuff.
For the same price, I want the good stuff.......not the elitist stuff, just the good stuff.

Yeah that too Direct Drive.The good stuff can be found for little more than the OK stuff.

Ya know,if you think about it,the difference between the OK and the good stuff,would have been another day tuning the machine in to mil specs and maybe using materials that were about 2c more a pound.

Not so much "unscrupulous" as feeding the market.If we as consumer will pay premium prices for OK stuff,shame on us.

It's not like with a few more clicks,you can't find the info on the good stuff.

Just like we did here.

And I bet you can find as many post saying RRA are the best.

SOOOO many calling some junk and sooooo many laughing at them because they have the very "junk" gun that shoots perfect

It a number game.You can find people that hate glocks (hmmm,you?) and 1000 times more of us that love them.
You will find some that have destroyed them and others that have tried and failed

Now this is just from what I have read on internet forums and both sides must be telling some truth and a bunch of lies.

(throws salt over the shoulder)

I could just never get the grip angle i cant keep from limping it so i stuck with an xd but glocks are still a good gun i have some and i like them im just not as accurate with then as i am with a sig or an xd

Radio silence...
Either information overload or he's cutting a deal with RRA :)
He'll be alright with RRA.

As a matter of fact, you are right. I got the RRA Elite Operator 2 today. An acquaintance of mine owns a gun shop in McMinnville and just happen to get one in today. I got a really good deal on this rifle and even though I haven't shot it yet, I am very happy with this rifle. Everything on this gun seems to be very well made. The CAR stock is very comfortable and seems to be built very well. The quad rail that comes on this rifle is a little heavy, but for me that is a good thing. Being that this is going to primarily be a target gun, the weight doesn't bother me. I know that there have been some complaints that RRA doesn't stake things especially well so the first thing I did before I bought it was take the upper off and check the BCG. It was staked very well in my opinion. I can take some pics if you would like to see it. The castle nut on the stock did not come staked but if I start having problems with it coming loose I can stake it myself. Everything fits together nicely and the fit and finish is also better than I could have asked for. The flip front sight is very nice and so is the EOTech mount/rear sight that came with it. I will shoot it for a while with the iron sights and get nice and used to them but them I am going to put a scope on the gun. The hard case is also better than I imagined it being. I cant wait to shoot it. Depending on the weather, I will shoot it this weekend. I will keep you posted on how my first outing goes. I know that the RRA wouldnt have been most peoples choice but I really believe that for me this gun will be more than I really need. If I end up really liking shooting this gun (which I am sure that I will) I want to really put some time and money into building a long range shooter. For something like that I will be really picky on the parts that I choose. Thank you to everyone that helped me with this. All of your opinions and suggestions are very appreciated.

I could just never get the grip angle i cant keep from limping it so i stuck with an xd but glocks are still a good gun i have some and i like them im just not as accurate with then as i am with a sig or an xd

I also had a Glock and I couldnt get used to it. I sold it and bought a Tanfoglio, which I absolutely love! It is a heavy gun so I wouldnt consider it as a carry pistol but for range shooting it is great!

And I would question how many have put ten thousands rounds down the business end. Lots of folks love there weapons but only have 500 rounds after years of owning it. Try putting 1200 rounds down the tube in a two day course, that will show you what the piece is truely capable and not capable of.

And still,they are happy with it.

You see what I mean,cause you just reiterated my point.

Some don't shoot but once a year,so even a Kel Tec or a Oly Arms is just fine.

When I start a new adventure or past time,I buy the cheap stuff
Then if I do it enough and wear out my toys, I buy the good stuff.
And if it keeps my interest,I save for the best.

I've carried M16A1, M16A2, and now the M4, for over 40 years.

Finally bought a Bushmaster AR15E23 from Keith's at the Expo Center Gun Show in Oct. '08.

It looks like a standard M16A3 (20-in barrel, flat-top w/carrying handle, fixed stock, front sight assembly, etc.), except that it has a heavy barrel under the handguards.

I use it with the carrying handle iron sights, or with a NC Star TacStar II scope which I bought from "CombatHunting.com" for $125 in 2008. (Now $130). It's a 3-9 x 40 with BDC and lighted reticle, slightly larger than an ACOG. So far, I'm pretty happy with the combination.
I also use the scope on my issued-M4 downrange (where I am now). It does require a 1/2 inch riser to put it at the right height above the top of the weapon.

I am interested in acquiring an M4-clone for my wife to use: Her arms are to short, and she doesn't have enough upper body strength for the longer, heavier weapon. I'll take care that after I get home.

BTW: Chroming the barrel and chamber helped fix problems that the original M16 experienced back in the early sixties before the Army adopted it as the "A1". I would turn down any AR that had a barrel/chamber not chrome-lined (unless it was stainless).

i was getting the itch for building an AR and decided a budget build was just the cure. i picked up a plumcrazy lower from brad for $130 plus background. i wanted to find a cheap complete upper (w/ bcg and t handle) used for under $400... but i won a bid on a noveske N4 14.5'' barrel'd upper on gunbroker for $530 and $30 shipping. plus $130 for the lmt bcg and $20 for the charging handle $10 for s&h... the budget build has officially gotten out of hand.
i have since decided that the noveske deserves a nice lower. a home grown titan ordinance billet lower cut outta hillsborro is being ordered for the noveske and i just ordered a DTI lower for $380 shipped complete with bcg and handle to go on the plumcrazy... sooooo outta hand. i still dont even have any magazines!

IMG_1620.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews